Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xenum11

No video output from gpu after taking it out then putting back in

Posted · Original PosterOP

I took my gpu out to take off my cpu fan and when I put all back in,  I started my pc up and got no output and after a couple of minutes it turns off and turns back on again. The gpu fans start then turn off after a few minutes. 

Please help I'm starting to feel sick over this as I don't have a lot of money 

This might sounds stupid, but you could try pulling it out and putting it back in, again. 

Laptop: 2016 13" nTB MacBook Pro Core i5 | Phone: iPhone 8 Plus 64GB | Wearables: Apple Watch Sport Series 2 | CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 16GB 2666 | GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p, Samsung SyncMaster 940BX 19" 1024p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball
3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

This might sounds stupid, but you could try pulling it out and putting it back in, again. 

I've done that.. Nothing 

Does your motherboard have a different PCIe slot that you can put the GPU in? The slot could have died. Are you sure the GPU power cables are in all the way? 

Laptop: 2016 13" nTB MacBook Pro Core i5 | Phone: iPhone 8 Plus 64GB | Wearables: Apple Watch Sport Series 2 | CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 16GB 2666 | GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p, Samsung SyncMaster 940BX 19" 1024p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball
4 minutes ago, Majestic said:

What are the specs of the system please. Specifically the Mainboard and CPU. It could just be running on iGPU.

Have you connected the power cables to the GPU?

Gigabyte ga z170 hd3 ddr3 and a Intel i5 6600k 3.5ghz. The power cables are plugged in. My gpu is a msi armor 1060 6gb 

10 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Does your motherboard have a different PCIe slot that you can put the GPU in? The slot could have died. Are you sure the GPU power cables are in all the way? 

I tried putting it in another slot and nothing happened 

3 minutes ago, Xenum11 said:

Gigabyte ga z170 hd3 ddr3 and a Intel i5 6600k 3.5ghz. The power cables are plugged in. My gpu is a msi armor 1060 6gb 

Put the monitor cable into the motherboard. Do you get an image then?

4 minutes ago, Xenum11 said:

Do you get video without the graphics card?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - Asus DirectCU GTX 760 - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

4 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Put the monitor cable into the motherboard. Do you get an image then?

Nope. So is it a motherboard issue? Also, around every 10 or more seconds the orange led 'strip' on my motherboard blinks. 

Just now, Xenum11 said:

Nope. So is it a motherboard issue? Also, around every 10 or more seconds the orange led 'strip' on my motherboard blinks. 

Take out the GPU, then try the same thing. Connecting the monitor to the motherboard.

1 minute ago, Majestic said:

Take out the GPU, then try the same thing. Connecting the monitor to the motherboard.

I get nothing. The blinking is still happening 

Just now, Xenum11 said:

I get nothing. The blinking is still happening 

What else did you do, besides take out the GPU. You mention taking out the CPU fan. Explain in detail what you did. 

Just now, Majestic said:

What else did you do, besides take out the GPU. You mention taking out the CPU fan. Explain in detail what you did. 

To take out my fan I needed to take my ram out. (My heat sink 'block' was dusty so I blow it all out). 

1 minute ago, Xenum11 said:

To take out my fan I needed to take my ram out. (My heat sink 'block' was dusty so I blow it all out). 

Oh, in that case, remove and put the RAM back...sometimes the slots are picky.

Make sure they're in the proper slots (consult the manual of the motherboard). And pressed all the way down. It can sometimes take more force than you think. (but don't overdo it ofcourse). JUST taking off the fan shouldn't cause any issues. Unless you took out the entire heatsink, and didn't repaste it.

18 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Oh, in that case, remove and put the RAM back...sometimes the slots are picky.

I took out the RAM and placed it back in.. Nothings happening.. 

Did you use an ESD strap? ya could have nuked something. Start swapping out parts (if you have any) to see what may or may not be broke. You could also try one stick of ram (one at a time), you could have a dead stick or slot.

23 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Reset cmos and try?

What PSU do you have?

I reset the thing and the motherboard blinking has stopped but it's still turning itself on and off but quicker this time

17 minutes ago, CodeNova said:

Did you use an ESD strap? ya could have nuked something. Start swapping out parts (if you have any) to see what may or may not be broke. You could also try one stick of ram (one at a time), you could have a dead stick or slot.

No I did not,  and probably because of that I f*cked up my whole pc. It's not even funny how much bad luck I have. Anyways I assume it's either the motherboard or the PSU, I hope to God it's not my cpu or gpu. Also I have no spare parts :)

39 minutes ago, Xenum11 said:

I reset the thing and the motherboard blinking has stopped but it's still turning itself on and off but quicker this time

Yeah, all I can think of is PSU or GPU. Hmm, try unplugging the power button / reset switch from motherboard...Rarely I've seen those go bad.

2 hours ago, Xenum11 said:

<snip> I hope it's not my cpu or gpu. <snip>

I would bet its the ram, I'm not an "expert", but that's what I suspect. If you ever figure it out, let the forum know, I'm curious to see what the issue was.

6 hours ago, Xenum11 said:

I took my gpu out to take off my cpu fan and when I put all back in,  I started my pc up and got no output and after a couple of minutes it turns off and turns back on again. The gpu fans start then turn off after a few minutes. 

Please help I'm starting to feel sick over this as I don't have a lot of money 

Did you plug in the Power supply's GPU PCIE power connector into the GPU?