What does your company offer as a work computer?

Shepanator

Hey all!

I thought it would be interesting to get a sort of "census" for what computers companies are currently issuing their employees with.

I work for a fintech startup in Berlin & I was issued with a macbook pro (i5 7360U - 16gb RAM)

My last job before this was at Amazon and I was issued with HP Elitebook G5 (I think the 850 with an i5 7200U & 8gb RAM)

I only begrudgingly use the macbook, the Windows & Linux options my company offer are outdated/underpowered in comparison.

I get so many bugs, mostly to do with my monitors suddenly not being recognised by MacOS after a wake from sleep or an undock/redock. This has persisted over several updates and 2 macbooks (the first one had a usb port die) and the only way to fix it is to restart, which is inconvenient.

I also had to install Smooze to fix the horrendous scroll acceleration in MacOS when using a non-apple mouse.

I'm interested to hear what other companies have to offer, anything interesting or exotic? (The one guy at asus that gets issued a GX800 ?)

I work for a Veterinary software company in the Hardware Support department.  We get Dell laptops with Dell docking solutions to connect to our 2x 1080p Dell 24" monitors and one 20" side monitor (1600x900); it's nice to get to use a real keyboard and mouse in the office but still be portable and work from home if needed.  My Dell Laptop has been upgraded twice in the last 4 years:

When I started training in Jan 2015 I got a: Dell E6xxx (series) on Win7, Mobile Core i5-2000 series w/ 4GB RAM and an OEM Samsung 128gb SSD

I left training 3 months later and they swapped it for a: Dell E7440 on Win7 , Core i5-4300U , 4GB DDR3, and a similar Samsung 128GB m.2 SSD (even though it was mostly just a CPU upgrade the battery was new and the laptop was lighter, thinner and more ultrabook like with a  sleek silver look/finish).

As of a week ago, they finally got me an upgrade as the RAM was always maxed out using all the bloaty SW we have to keep open in support:

Dell Latitude 7490 on Win10 Enterprise , Core i7-8650U , 8GB DDR4 (2666), 256GB Micron 1100 M.2 SSD, and a USB-C based dock upgrade to Dell D6000 (prior docks used a long pinout connector on the bottom of the laptop; now I just plugin a USB-C cable with clamshell closed).

I like it but after almost 4 years I was ready to like anything that was faster and had more RAM.

I work for a multi-national tech design and manufacturing company (not PC).

My work laptop is a 13" Dell Latitude something or other 2c4t Broadwell, 8GB ram, MSATA SSD. It sucks. They're typically replaced every 4 years... actually, I wonder if my time will be up soon? I'll have to check that up sometime.

At my desk is a USB3 docking station. I have a 34" 3440x1440 ultra-wide Samsung, and I can only get 50 Hz via HDMI to laptop, 30 Hz if I go via dock. I got 60Hz via DP but it was very flakey and wasn't always detected.

The mouse is a MS laser mouse I bought through the company but outside the IT process, as they only gave the crappy Dell generic junk. It was manufactured in 2005 and still works fine. Next year I'll have to check with HR to see if it qualifies for 15 year long service award.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

For my PhD and seemingly everyone in the Uni department we are just given a budget to spend how we see fit on hardware, so whatever we want in the price range. That is usually a macbook or a thinkpad (with Ubuntu), and then we are given a desktop from the Department which are pretty good too (i5-8600 or similar with 16GB of RAM, running CentOs or similar).

When I was in work, we'd spend around £700 on a Lenovo or Dell machine and pair that with 2 24" monitors. The machines would have at least 16 GB of RAM and a 512 GB SSD (though we'd install them ourselves rather than getting at inflated prices from the manufacturer).

So far its not been too bad! When I started at work, the machines were a bit slower, but we rotated all those out by the time I was leaving.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

Whatever I want, so long as I pay for it.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

My work doesn't "issue" me a PC, I only work on my work stuff at work.

Specs aren't anything special, but:

i3-8100, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Radeon GPU (don't remember what exactly, nothing special). I work in a print shop, so it just needs to load up photoshop quick ?‍♂️

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

We've recently updated our hardware requirements, we can't be too persistent with models and brands since we're a town hall, or get something too fancy, but we try to spec something as close as we deem fit.

CPU: Ryzen 2200g

Mobo: A320 (any brand, usually ASRock)

RAM: 4GB DDR4 @2400mhz (any brand, usually HyperX Fury or Team T-Force)

Storage: 240gb SSD (either a Kingston A400 or a Sandisk G26) + 1tb HDD (Toshiba)

Case: Generic M-ATX

PSU: 200+ watts with active PFC

I wanted to spec out Lenovo Thinkcentre Tinys or Dell Optiplex Micros for the sake of space saving, unfortunately they're too expensive and hard to fix if something decides to go wrong.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

Im a communications developer for an energy company. My currrent laptop's an HP Zbook G3 17 Inch laptop. I7 6820HQ with a quadro M1000 GPU. I have a TB3 dock with 2 27 Inch 1440p displays for when im in the office. 

Currently have a lenovo X1 Carbon 6th gen 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

We buy the latest dell stuff. Latitudes, precisions and XPS. They have 4 year warranty on them so they are on like a 4 year life cycle. Generally i5, 8gb of ram. 500GB NVMe SSD. Different for engineering ones depending on application and we will consider special requests but usually only do them for executives. Kinda annoying when the SVP of sales is the only one with particular laptop and the CEO and another SVP has a mac.

Main Gaming and Streaming PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Vinsinity/saved/TjwVnQ

Ultrabook and College Laptop:

Spoiler

XPS 13 9350:

i5-6200U

8GB RAM

Samsung PM951 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive

Workstation Laptop:

Spoiler

Sager NP8672 (P670SG):

i7-4720HQ

32GB (4 x 8GB) CORSAIR Vengeance Performance

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Boot Drive)

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Video Drive)

Crucial MX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Secondary SDD Storage)

Western Digital (Blue or Black) 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Storage Drive)

GeForce GTX 980M 4G

work at LEGO, i have a Dell Precision 5530, guess it is some kind of XPS clone.

4K display (touch), 32gb ram, P1000 Quadro, 8850H CPU, 256gb NVME, it is a nice laptop, have a backup older DELL 12" with an older 7 series dual core HT cpu.

have 2 offices, but have displays each place, 2 x 1920x1200 in my project and older 2 x 1920x1080 in my office, although i have ordered one of those super wide screen that is the same size of a dual 16:9 setup. 

Anything I want that looks semi-professional.

I'm given a budget, usually about £1,700 (about 2,200 USD) and told I can choose my own laptop.

I travel a lot, so its usually a trade off between performance and weight, currently waiting for a Blade Stealth to arrive.

6 minutes ago, PacketMan said:

Damn these LEGO laptops...

i would exchange that for ANY thinkpad, really don´t like DELL

they are getting better, but having owned a T30,T41sxga, and my wife running a new Lenovo, i am a Thinkpad fanboy.

the keyboard on this dell are better than my older, so it is decent.

Also i get really good value of the P1000 for Excel and visio ;).

And i really do hate the newer dock, with the USB3, Thunderbolt connector, miss the old "just slam the laptop in" dock..

I'm an intern in the marketing department of a motion and control manufacturing company.

I was given an older-ish Thinkpad with 8GB RAM, i7 4600 and some OEM Samsung 256GB SSD. This is all paired with a docking station (one which connects to the bottom port of the laptop), Dell standard keyboard and mouse and 2 24 Dell inch monitors. It does the job quite well.

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

i bring my own laptop, but currently school offers their current laptops

they offer some insperon with a celeron starting at 450, highest model with the same chip at 650

I would like to keep my workplace private. Basically doing statistics.

Desktop with 2nd gen i3 and 4GB of RAM, paired with 250GB HDD.

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

Mine gave me a Lattitude E3390 2 in 1 and I hate it lol. Damn thing overheats hitting 100c on the cores just from opening programs up. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Not in work but I am at uni and the computers we have available for use are mostly HP Eliteone All in Ones with Intel i5 6500s (I think). Some of the ones we can use in halls are a bit older though. HP all in ones with 3rd or 4th gen i5s. The only exception to this (outside of CS cause I know they have actually good computers) is the maths computer lab, where they have AMD RX460s in the Eliteones, and the Physics labs where we have HP Elitebook Laptops (if you're on a physics modules) and old Toshiba Satellite Pros or some generic tower running Ubuntu  (if you're in the astro labs)

|| CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (@3.9GHz) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus || Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition || GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB C16 (@2933MHz) || SSD: SanDisk 128GB || HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Toshiba 2TB, Transcend 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Case: Fractal Design Focus G || Monitor: 2x AOC 23” I2369VM IPS Full HD, Samsung 32" LED TV Monitor || Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless || Keyboard: Cooler Master MK750 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) || Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers || Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT / Samsung Galaxy Buds ||

Work for a small MSP. The laptop I have been issued is a HP ProBook 450 G4...

CPU: i5 7200U

RAM: 8GB

SSD: Crucial somethingorother 250GB

It does its job, although the trackpad on this device is mega garbage along with the keyboard being less than stellar.

I have the laptop hooked up to two ancient HP LE2201w 1680x1050 - one of which I think I'm getting about 30Hz on... 

Previous place had Dells, my summer job will also have Dells. The previous place, a mining company, gave me some older laptop for starters. Before giving me my boss' old laptop. I don't remember specs, but they did have 16gigs of RAM, Quatro GPU and i7. The department works with GIS, 3D-models and point clouds for geological modelling etc. The summer job is about digitizing to GIS so I don't expect getting any massive power machine. i7 and 16gigs probably as I need to handle large databases locally. Probably GPU side is missing as only maps I load are in picture format or loaded from national servers.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Back at my old workplace, the company was sponsored by Dell, so Optiplexes were used for every single user.

I can't remember the model, but it has an i7-4770S and 8GB of memory. Additionally it was hooked up to 150Mbps Ethernet. That's all I could gather from Task Manager.

Needed all those threads as 90% of the time, it was remote desktop work, customer support.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

so as a consultant i work for my own company but always at the clients office. so we get notebooks from our company but those are for internal use only. and then i work with whatever the clients offers. 

the last time we ot notebooke upgrades sadly i was skipped since it was slightly newer than what other colleauges where working with. meaning i have a 14" terra notebook with some dual core hyperthreading i7 (i think its second gen but im not sure since i dont use that notebook for work all that much), 8 gigs of ram and i blieve 500 gig hdd. very basic but barely enough to do any real work. again im not actively using it for work so its fine.

at my current client we get dual monitor setups (pretty standard for developers by now) at 1920x 1200 (16:10) hooked up to dell machines with i7 7700, 32 GB Ram and a 500 GB SSD. 

some coworkers get xeon's and/or more ram depending on their needs.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

X99 6-core systems for the older computers, but the newer ones are 8700K/9900K, GTX1080/2070, 1.5TB of M.2 SSDs, & 64GB RAM, with dual 1440p Dell Ultrasharps. Video production can be a fun industry to do IT for.

Certainly beats when my whole department at a major IT corporation had to work through a Pentium 3 1Ghz terminal server with 1GB RAM. Wasn't even that long ago...

If you want good hardware recommendations, please tell us how you intend to use the hardware. There's rarely a single correct answer.

15 hours ago, WiiManic said:

For my PhD and seemingly everyone in the Uni department we are just given a budget to spend how we see fit on hardware, so whatever we want in the price range.

Interesting, for my doctorate we were responsible for our devices. Never even cross my mind that the University would allocate funds to supply computers to the grad students. Must be a UK thing?

To answer the question.  We use Lenovo T-Series Thinkpads.  They are refreshed every 2 years. 

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

Working for a manufacturing company. I'm the only tech here so I spec the computers how I want within a certain budget.

General Office Computer: 800$-1000$

i5-7400 or better

8gb RAM

256gb SSD or better

Designer Computer: 1800$-2000$

i7-8700 or better

32gb RAM

512gb M.2 SSD

Quadro P2000 5GB

Laptops:1000$-1200$

Any CPU with at least 2.5ghz base clock :P (damn those laptops are getting slow!!!)

8gb RAM

256gb SSD

Everyone get a pair of 21" 1080p monitors and generic keyboard and mouse. Unless you get picky and what a vertical mouse... (They are horrible!! Would prefer lose my wrist due to too much computer "winkwink" than use those!)