Air pockets in loop

16 hours ago, W-L said:

Not necessarily it just depends on the configuration, you can have inlet at the top of a res or at the bottom. Using an internal tube on the top will prevent the issues you are facing, however from the looks of things it would not be compatible with that res due to the side port coming in at 90 degrees. 

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-res-x3-internal-tube-12-16-140mm

this is the video i took for my pump.

So when i was filling my loop it was silent, when it runs up rpm it gets loud like this... no idea what is going on.

what speed?

does the pump always have water (i.e. res directly to top of pump)

decoupling?

5 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

what speed?

decoupling?

Yes the res outlet goes into the d5 inlet. This only happens when the pump speed ramps up. But when i left the back leg of the case up (where the pump is mounted) a lot of the noise stops, or quiets down.

5 minutes ago, Mr. horse said:

I have not watch the video yet, but D5s get loud when it does not have water in it or when the impeller shaft thing cracks. 

It is getting liquid directly from the res, if you watch the video you can see the liquid inside it. I took the pump apart when i got it and checked everything, it looked good.

8 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

what speed?

decoupling?

image.jpg

8 minutes ago, ChrisZH said:

image.jpg

from what I've heard, they can be loud until all bubbles are gone, tip your case a bit to let out all the air.

24 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

from what I've heard, they can be loud until all bubbles are gone, tip your case a bit to let out all the air.

Could it be that its just the sound it makes at very high rpm? Its like 2400rpm max

3 hours ago, ChrisZH said:

Tried to cycle the power to the pump as well as Bykski support said there could be air bubbles in the pump but i do not see any bubbles now in that direction. Once i put the intake to the res on the bottom i have not seen any issues with air bubbles like that. Could it be just because its running at max speed from the molex power?

Once you bleed the whole loop and bubbles stop running through the pump it will be much quieter, you can control the speed of the pump by running it lower via PWM if it's capable of that. 

14 minutes ago, W-L said:

Once you bleed the whole loop and bubbles stop running through the pump it will be much quieter, you can control the speed of the pump by running it lower via PWM if it's capable of that. 

Did you hear the sounds on the video? Idk why its making all that noise. When i turn the case i still hear what seems to be air bubbles and water going through the radiators.

8 minutes ago, ChrisZH said:

Did you hear the sounds on the video? Idk why its making all that noise. When i turn the case i still hear what seems to be air bubbles and water going through the radiators.

Oh that buzzing sound is not normal, sounds like something is rubbing or the bearing in that pump has an issue. The D5 running at full speed is loud but nothing more than a loud humming sound. 

Please refrain from making multiple threads for the same topic.

-Related threads Merged-

Edited by W-L

1 hour ago, W-L said:

Oh that buzzing sound is not normal, sounds like something is rubbing or the bearing in that pump has an issue. The D5 running at full speed is loud but nothing more than a loud humming sound. 

-Related threads Merged-

Sorry, just trying to figure this out.

Ive never run the pump dry, but ive also heard this Bykski D5 pump is different from a normal D5 pump. Like i said when i initially start the pump it is silent until it starts to ramp up high. But the water flow is not impeded or anything. Im just completely lost on whats going on...

2 hours ago, W-L said:

-Related threads Merged-

I just read, max speed is 4800 rpm lol

5 hours ago, ChrisZH said:

Sorry, just trying to figure this out.

Ive never run the pump dry, but ive also heard this Bykski D5 pump is different from a normal D5 pump. Like i said when i initially start the pump it is silent until it starts to ramp up high. But the water flow is not impeded or anything. Im just completely lost on whats going on...

Sounds to me something is wrong with the pump bearing or impeller, being that it's not a standard D5 and their own variant it's hard to say. Specs and everything on paper seems to be the same but 

1 hour ago, W-L said:

Sounds to me something is wrong with the pump bearing or impeller, being that it's not a standard D5 and their own variant it's hard to say. Specs and everything on paper seems to be the same but 

I heard something about how this model is plastic? Im exchanging emails with bykski, they said to mount it a different way (saying impeller is hitting inside of pump head), but why would it happen at high rpm and not lower?

2 hours ago, W-L said:

Also it still sounds like water bubbles traveling through my loop. I can hear these sounds... no idea what they are

9 hours ago, ChrisZH said:

I heard something about how this model is plastic? Im exchanging emails with bykski, they said to mount it a different way (saying impeller is hitting inside of pump head), but why would it happen at high rpm and not lower?

That should not happen regards of the speed, the D5 can be mounted either horizontal or vertical. 

The Bykski version of the D5 has a plastic housing which is unconventional since in a standard unit the windings and power components are coupled to the stainless housing for cooling. So without opening a pump it’s hard to determine what they’ve done differently. 

8 minutes ago, W-L said:

That should not happen regards of the speed, the D5 can be mounted either horizontal or vertical. 

The Bykski version of the D5 has a plastic housing which is unconventional since in a standard unit the windings and power components are coupled to the stainless housing for cooling. So without opening a pump it’s hard to determine what they’ve done differently. 

So only way to really tell whats going on is to open it up and see what happened?

im hoping they can send me a new pump... because it was never run dry at all...

this is really disappointing because all other bykski stuff ive gotten is great

Just now, ChrisZH said:

So only way to really tell whats going on is to open it up and see what happened?

Right now for the loud noise I would take the pump and pump top apart to see if the bearing was damaged or if there is anything impeding the impeller. 

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

Right now for the loud noise I would take the pump and pump top apart to see if the bearing was damaged or if there is anything impeding the impeller. 

Was really hoping i wouldnt have to drain the loop again lol

20 minutes ago, W-L said:

So what should a d5 pump look like after taking it apart? So i have a reference?

4 hours ago, ChrisZH said:

So what should a d5 pump look like after taking it apart? So i have a reference?

This is what a standard D5 will look like with a stainless housing. You want to inspect the white ceramic bearing on that post and ensure the graphite bearing surface inside the impeller isn’t worn or damaged.

Pump_Choice_D5_vs_DDC_03.jpg

This is is what will occur if the pump was run dry damaging that graphite bearing surface.

bb041c6f12bb92338a41468bebb12aa8.jpg

1 hour ago, W-L said:

This is what a standard D5 will look like with a stainless housing. You want to inspect the white ceramic bearing on that post and ensure the graphite bearing surface inside the impeller isn’t worn or damaged.

This is is what will occur if the pump was run dry damaging that graphite bearing surface.

I have talked with Bykski, they are trying to reproduce this issue. If they cant then they are going to send me a replacement. I do love the way this build looks though.

Even with my old pump/res combo im seeing a 20c improvement from my 240 slim and 120 rad setup.

On 5/15/2019 at 4:14 PM, W-L said:

So Bykski think that the pump might be too far into the pump head and the impeller is touching it. If i loosen the screws connecting the pump to pump head will i cause a leak?

7 minutes ago, ChrisZH said:

So Bykski think that the pump might be too far into the pump head and the impeller is touching it. If i loosen the screws connecting the pump to pump head will i cause a leak?

Long as the o ring is thick enough and still has enough to create a proper seal you can back off the bolts a tiny bit.