Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Umeshwarnath

Any way to access IEEE standards without having to buy them?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey all,

I am a masters student trying to finish my masters thesis and am in dire need of the 802.11ax standard.

My university gives me access to an ieee student membership but that only has limited access. Buying above mentioned standard costs 400$ which the university will not help me with!

Any suggestions as to how i can get my hands on the standard without spending a months rent on it?

It will help me a lot. Please let me know if yall have any tips on this matter.

DAILY DRIVER: CPU: FX-8320@4.3GHZ + CM hyper 212+     GPU:HD 6970      MOTHERBOARD:MSI 970A G46       RAM: CORSAIR vengence 4GB*2       POWERSUPPLY: COOLERMASTER  EXTREME POWER+ 650W   SSD:850 EVO 120gb   HDD1: WD GREEN 2TB     HDD2:1TB SEGATE     HDD3: 500GB SEGATE          

CASE: CIT VANTAGE        AUDIO :ON BOARD      DVD: LG DVD/RW      KEYBOARD:Dragonwar Dark Sector.     MOUSE: Logitech G402   MOUSE PAD: goliathus control xl.   MONITOR: LG 23EA53V                                      SURROUND SPEAKERS: EDIFIER DA5000 pro.

PHONE: GALAXY S4 Stock   TABLET: MI PAD        :) I USED TO PLAY A LOT OF CRYSIS 3 and TITANFALL..........NOW I HAVE STARTED PLAYING PLANETSIDE 2 :)

Have you checked the university library? Also, make a reference appointment and a librarian can show you how to find what you need.

14 minutes ago, James Evens said:

Don't think this is the right place to ask for pirated documents. Ask other people and they will help you.

He's not asking for pirated documents. He is asking for alternative resources. This is how you properly structure your questions like this. 

PSU Tier List Thread

"The Angry Cup o` Joe" v2.0

Ryzen 1800x @ 4.0ghz | Asus Crosshair VI Hero | EVGA RTX 2080ti | Flare X 14-14-14-34 3200mhz 32gb | Full Custom Water Cooling Loop | 1tb Samsung 970 Evo

Samsung 850 evo 250gb | 2x 3tb Seagate Drive | Phantex Enthoo Evolv | Custom front cover from mnpctech.com | Custom Top cover from Modmymods.com

EVGA G2 750w PSU | 3x Corsair ML140 Pro White LED case fans | 3x Corsair ML120 Pro White LED Case Fans | Cablemod 30cm RGB LED strip

47 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

He's not asking for pirated documents. He is asking for alternative resources. This is how you properly structure your questions like this. 

As far as I am aware those standards (at least the most) are locked behind paywalls and most unis don't pay for access to those documents.

Don't forget that the ax document is an amendment to the base 802.11-2016 document that you probably also need, which costs $1100. 

Ideally your school will have access to the ieee-xplore program. If your librarian doesn't know about it, ask your engineering professor. 

Try connecting to ieeexplore.ieee.org from a school computer and see if it magically recognizes that you're at an institution. 

Intel 3570K @ 4.4GHz - Gigabyte 1070 - Samsung 860 EVO - 16GB DDR3

So, as you guys suggested I approached my advisor , and then the chairman. Mr. Evens is right. The chairman confirmed that the standards can only be obtained by paying the full price, and if what jake9000 said is true about also needing the 1100 dollar base 802.11 document then there is surely no way to obtain any of it. 

If anyone on here has the documentation and is willing to share it with me, or if that's illegal atleast look up the information that I need , please let me know. It would help me a ton. 

Thanks again.

DAILY DRIVER: CPU: FX-8320@4.3GHZ + CM hyper 212+     GPU:HD 6970      MOTHERBOARD:MSI 970A G46       RAM: CORSAIR vengence 4GB*2       POWERSUPPLY: COOLERMASTER  EXTREME POWER+ 650W   SSD:850 EVO 120gb   HDD1: WD GREEN 2TB     HDD2:1TB SEGATE     HDD3: 500GB SEGATE          

CASE: CIT VANTAGE        AUDIO :ON BOARD      DVD: LG DVD/RW      KEYBOARD:Dragonwar Dark Sector.     MOUSE: Logitech G402   MOUSE PAD: goliathus control xl.   MONITOR: LG 23EA53V                                      SURROUND SPEAKERS: EDIFIER DA5000 pro.

PHONE: GALAXY S4 Stock   TABLET: MI PAD        :) I USED TO PLAY A LOT OF CRYSIS 3 and TITANFALL..........NOW I HAVE STARTED PLAYING PLANETSIDE 2 :)

I'll throw in another suggestion for the library.  I know when I went to school there was an online portal through the library and you could get loads of journals for free as long as you were on school wifi.  Anything that wasn't there could be ordered and added to the library's collection so you wouldn't have to pay for it.

Oh, if you're thinkin the library might be willing to pay for it to add it to their collection, I will go to the library tomorrow and check it out. 

Thanks Alex :)