Starting as a white hat hacker

Ivyk

I want to become a white hat hacker(the good guy hacker).

I want to be able to protect people against hacker but to do so I need to learn to hack myself first.

Do you guys know any sites/tutorials that will help me?

Current rig: CPU: AMD FX-8120  Cooling: Corsair H100i  Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme 3  RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz  GPU: MSI GTX 660Ti Power Edition  Case: Fractal Design Define R4  Storage: 2TB Seagate HDD + 128GB Crucial SSD  PSU: be quiet! 730W bronze

hacks are bad mmmmk? 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

hacks are bad mmmmk? 

No, hackers are not bad people. That is just something people think who don't know a single thing about hacking.

Current rig: CPU: AMD FX-8120  Cooling: Corsair H100i  Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme 3  RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz  GPU: MSI GTX 660Ti Power Edition  Case: Fractal Design Define R4  Storage: 2TB Seagate HDD + 128GB Crucial SSD  PSU: be quiet! 730W bronze

No, hackers are not bad people. That is just something people think who don't know a single thing about hacking.

im not saying all hacking is bad, its just been associated with people who use it to ruin peoples time in games and such 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

im not saying all hacking is bad, its just been associated with people who use it to ruin peoples time in games and such 

Yeah, that is exactly what I meant :)

Normal people call people that D Dos servers hackers, but people who prevent it are non-existent.

I want to become a white hat hacker(the good guy hacker).

I want to be able to protect people against hacker but to do so I need to learn to hack myself first.

Do you guys know any sites/tutorials that will help me?

Learn programming. 

Yeah, that is exactly what I meant :)

Normal people call people that D Dos servers hackers, but people who prevent it are non-existent.

No... DDOS prevention is built into enterprise hardware. Normal people arent likely to be DDOSed. Most routers have some form of DDOS protection anyways. Also networking security is a huge freaking field. To say that people like that are non-existent... Could not be more wrong.

Learn programming. 

I already know code, but not the type that teaches hacking...

I already know code, but not the type that teaches hacking...

What languages do you know?

Do you mean that hacker who hacks website to show its owner the site's vulnerabilities?

Just be a hacker.You'll know what and how to prevent what you would otherwise do(if you were a hacker).

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I guess it depends on what you want to hack. Web sites, software, remote computers, etc. Pick an area and start learning (it'll probably take years to get good in an area). Search engines are your friend so learn how to find what you want from them.

For example, if you want to hack websites, learn to code them. You'll want a strong understanding of server side programming. Learn about the vulnerabilities that exist. Learn how to code in the vulnerability to your "test" site, and then how to fix it, then how to get around your fix if possible, then how to fix the new exploit, etc. Learn how to look for these vulnerabilities and once you know how to do it yourself, you should learn what tools are out there to help speed up the process. Or make some tools yourself.

Also, while people shouldn't automatically denounce the word "Hacker", many do and you're probably better off using a more professional title. You're much less likely to be looked on with negativity. Speaking of which, learn the professional titles of the field and search the requirements of jobs in this field. That can help give you checklists of things real companies want you to know.

Don't all hackers break the EULA or other terms, which could come with a legal response from the owner. Do be a White Hat, if you are hired as a CSO or part of a open source project used to find exploits. Learn assembly code as it is needed alot with cracking or finding exploits in software.

Just to let you know dude. DDOS is completely illegal and its a waste of time. If you dont get involved with shit like that then whats the point of even learning how to? And in my opinion ALL hacks are bad because if you think about it, if there werent hackers to start then why would we even need "white hat" hackers?

CPU: i7 8700 GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Mobo: Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5 Ram: 16GB EVGA SuperSC SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB PSU: TX650M Case: NZXT S340 Elite OS: Windows 10 Mouse: Logitech G403 Mouse Mat: HyperX Fury S Pro XL 
Keyboard: CM Masterkeys Pro S (reds) Headphones: Sennheiser HD598 Monitor: Asus 24' MG248QR Devices: IPhone 11 Pro Max + 13' Macbook Pro

Penn State offers a good degree in Security and Risk Analysis--Information and Cyber Security, as do other Universities. You could also look into various security certifications from SANS. Or, more simply, look into things listed as requirements for penetration testing jobs.

What languages do you know?

Mainly HTML5, CSS3, PhP, SQL, JavaScript and C#.

If you want to get into software hacking then look into injection, reflection and for hardware hacking look into the raspberry pi and arduino

Mainly HTML5, CSS3, PhP, SQL, JavaScript and C#.

Learn assembly, you will need it. If you can't understand the tutorial for microcorruption.com then you don't know any where near enough.

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

Learn assembly, you will need it. If you can't understand the tutorial for microcorruption.com then you don't know any where near enough.

Isn't assembly one of the hardest languages to learn?

Isn't assembly one of the hardest languages to learn?

Its one level above machine language, the concepts are difficult, especially when your area is web development, but it can be very rewarding. If you are doing any form of security analysis you will look for the most unlikely quirks in programs that could potentially be exploited. 

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

#1: Don't announce to the world that you're going to try hack things, even if it's to "do good".

#2: Learn more about the security layers of popular hosting software, Linux is a good place to start.

#3: Learn about how widespread network hardware operates and potential flaws in their security layers.

#4: Figure out ways to find and exploit weaknesses in popular web services such as free hosting providers, and work your way up to Amazon web servers and such.

#5: Always (privately) speculate about ways the makers of software and hardware can have made things wrong; trace and monitor these potential weaknesses.

#6: Once you've found something exploitable, contact the people responsible and supply them with information and help them solve the issues.

Cheers,

Linus

#1: Don't announce to the world that you're going to try hack things, even if it's to "do good".

#1.1 - Don't boast about being a "great" hacker. Or give yourself a hacker alias/nickname. Both are given to you, not self-claimed. 

Little addendum. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Here are some more direct resources that can have you paying around with things more quickly.

Coursera's Cyber Security course might be fun for you to take which I believe starts in August. I'm sure you'll pick up a few things from it. You should be able to take each one for free, or you can pay if you want the certificate. They have a couple other security based courses too which may interest you. Just browse their course lists.

HBH might be a fun place to play around in. You might learn some basic things there.

Def Con and Black Hat are hacking conferences where you can probably learn some neat things. Find their archives. I'm sure there are other conferences out there you can look into.

Learn to love Linux if you don't already. People built a Linux distro for this stuff, Backtrack. Athough I'm not sure if Kali surpasses it. I also think there's a Linux distro out there made to practice your hacking on but I can't seem to find it.

InfinityExists has some fun videos.

Offensive Security has a lot of courses/certificates they do. Some free like Metasploit Unleashed, most probably not.

one does not study to become a hacker

you just have to study systems, once you know how they work you also know how to trick them

if you know php/SQL and you can't think of a way to do bad things, then you probably just read a 10 pages quick guide on the internet

k-bigpic.jpg

Get into reverse engineering, it's a gateway for hacking and often gets you into the grey area where things are not necessarily illegal, but not legal either.

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

-Mewtwo