Wifi networks that start with a dot

mtz_federico

I’ve noticed that some wifi networks with a captive portal start with a dot (check the image)

Is there any reason for this besides naming?

504401BC-CF8F-45C4-B4EC-75D277E14E84.jpeg

Not that I know of and I've set up multiple wifis with captive portals before.

Likely just to make sure it appears at the top of the list of discovered SSID’s, given most OS’s sort SSID’s alphabetically. 

There’s no technical reason why you’d put a period at the start of the SSID name. We use a captive portal at work and don’t use any periods. Nor have I actually seen any that do. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

20 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Likely just to make sure it appears at the top of the list of discovered SSID’s, given most OS’s sort SSID’s alphabetically. 

There’s no technical reason why you’d put a period at the start of the SSID name. We use a captive portal at work and don’t use any periods. Nor have I actually seen any that do. 

Makes sense. Thanks for the reply 

Hey I jsut got another idea! Due to a bug in the Unix File System files starting with . are hidden. Maybe the guy who set it up was a Linux guy and thought he could hide the SSID by starting it with a .?

6 hours ago, Acedia said:

Hey I jsut got another idea! Due to a bug in the Unix File System files starting with . are hidden. Maybe the guy who set it up was a Linux guy and thought he could hide the SSID by starting it with a .?

It’s possible? If so, he’s wrong. There’s a specific mechanism to hide SSID’s. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

7 hours ago, Acedia said:

Could be but I doubt it since its free public wifi