Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
itsadrianjosue

Overclocking need Help with voltage!

Posted · Original PosterOP

So, it is my first time Overclocking and I watched JayzTwoCents guide and read some guides as well.

The thing is that no matter how much I increase the voltage, voltage sits at the same value which is 1.175 V

so why's that? or what is the point of trying to play with it so i can get more clock speed to a point where i can see is stable?

image.thumb.png.41d51e9e2064731e9993864a5e16afe2.png

Voltages have a hard limit locked into the BIOS of the card. Only way to bypass it is to do a Shunt MOD or get a modified BIOS that allows the voltage to increase beyond that. Otherwise you can't get any higher than what Nvidia specifies in the BIOS. 

PSU Tier List Thread

"White Ice"

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus Crosshair VI Hero | EVGA RTX 2080ti Black | Flare X 16-16-16-32 3600mhz 16gb | Full Custom Water Cooling Loop | 1tb Samsung 970 Evo

Samsung 850 evo 250gb | 2x 3tb Seagate Drive | Fractal Design Meshify S2 |  EVGA G2 750w PSU | 2x Corsair LL140 | 3x Corsair LL120

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 1800x | Asrock B450M Pro 4 | 16gb G.Skill Flare X 3200mhz | EVGA B3 450w | EVGA GTX 1060 3gb | 250gb 860 Evo m.2 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | Elgato HD60 Pro | Elgato 4k60 Pro mk.2

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

Voltages have a hard limit locked into the BIOS of the card. Only way to bypass it is to do a Shunt MOD or get a modified BIOS that allows the voltage to increase beyond that. Otherwise you can't get any higher than what Nvidia specifies in the BIOS. 

I was asking myself the same, so I went to research for BIOS updates and it seems that i have an older version of this gpu's BIOS

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/178603/zotac-gtx970-4096-150122-1

So should I download the official lasted one? would this allow me maybe to increase voltage or Do i have to find a modded one?

Thanks for answering!

Just now, itsadrianjosue said:

I was asking myself the same, so I went to research for BIOS updates and it seems that i have an older version of this gpu's BIOS

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/178603/zotac-gtx970-4096-150122-1

So should I download the official lasted one? would this allow me maybe to increase voltage or Do i have to find a modded one?

Thanks for answering!

it might, but chances are likely no, it wont up the voltage limit of the card. 

PSU Tier List Thread

"White Ice"

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus Crosshair VI Hero | EVGA RTX 2080ti Black | Flare X 16-16-16-32 3600mhz 16gb | Full Custom Water Cooling Loop | 1tb Samsung 970 Evo

Samsung 850 evo 250gb | 2x 3tb Seagate Drive | Fractal Design Meshify S2 |  EVGA G2 750w PSU | 2x Corsair LL140 | 3x Corsair LL120

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 1800x | Asrock B450M Pro 4 | 16gb G.Skill Flare X 3200mhz | EVGA B3 450w | EVGA GTX 1060 3gb | 250gb 860 Evo m.2 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | Elgato HD60 Pro | Elgato 4k60 Pro mk.2

14 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

I don't wanna get into complex mod things, but in this case should I touch the voltage at all in first place or let it at 0? Because even tho voltages values don't show up any higher than 1.175 I get stability at higher clocks with increased voltage set in MSI afterburner than when I have it at 0 and get some glitchy stuff on the bench scren.

but again would letting the voltage as it is (maxed out) right now damage my card?

Edit: I have a 750w PSU 80+ bronze just in case the question shows up.

Max it out. It cant hurt anything since its BIOS limited and if you feel you achieve more stability at higher clocks, than do it!

PSU Tier List Thread

"White Ice"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Max it out. It cant hurt anything since its BIOS limited and if you feel you achieve more stability at higher clocks, than do it!

Thanks, that's very helpful! I'll then continue my overclocking session and see what I can get!

4 hours ago, itsadrianjosue said:

I don't wanna get into complex mod things, but in this case should I touch the voltage at all in first place or let it at 0? Because even tho voltages values don't show up any higher than 1.175 I get stability at higher clocks with increased voltage set in MSI afterburner than when I have it at 0 and get some glitchy stuff on the bench scren.

but again would letting the voltage as it is (maxed out) right now damage my card?

Edit: I have a 750w PSU 80+ bronze just in case the question shows up.

Do the *temps* increase when you raise the voltage slider, even though the voltage doesn't change?  What about power draw/watts/TDP?

If somehow stability changed, then temps should change too.

17 hours ago, Falkentyne said:

Do the *temps* increase when you raise the voltage slider, even though the voltage doesn't change?  What about power draw/watts/TDP?

If somehow stability changed, then temps should change too.

it gets about 1-2   hotter when increasing the voltage.