Deciding between headphones

AdmiralMeowmix

After asking about it earlier and getting suggestions and dong some of my own looking I've honestly narrowed it down and have been decisive on three headphones so I'd like to get some feedback or suggestions.

I mainly use headphones for videos, gaming, and music of a variety of genres so I don't think I need one thats heavy focused on one or another. I like vocal clarity as well but also like being able to hear the instruments and make them out. I'm upgrading from my currently breaking BeyerDynamic DT 770 80 Ohm headphones.

The three I've found that seem to all be highly reccomended for this range are:

K553 MKII

Monolith M1060C

V-MODA M-100

there's also possibly the B&O h6 if I can find them for sub 300 in not the weird tan color.

If anyone knows anything about these three or have better suggestions I'd love to know!

If you want a nice sub bass but blanced detailed everything with a wide sound stage  possibly the closest in sound signature to the 770's 1060c is the best out of these. If you want a balanced mid centric can a little narrower but still good the k553 is the best. Great for monitoring and critical listening . If you want a nice outdoor portable headphone with a v shaped sound signature the m100 these are

Great if you listen to electronic mainly.

. And if you want  a good outdoor can with tight bass awesome detailed mids and highs the b and o h6 is great.

I've got the V-MODA M-100s myself. They're pretty good headphones but I want to vent a few things to future owners or potential buyers.

The sound is good. It's not really out of this world, but it's good. I feel like they're pretty good at most genres, EDM being one of them. Of course everyone who's looked into getting this pair of headphones knows, its strong point is bass and it does just that. Durability is also a strong point, and the CLIQFOLD mechanism is pretty cool, and has a pretty satisfying click that I like to play with more than I'd admit to. I've also got the BoomPro mic paired with it as well, and others have told me my voice sounded really clear.

But these headphones aren't without its flaws, and these complaints might veer out potential buyers, but these headphones hurt. Yeah, yeah, the stock pads are horrible, a little research can tell you this, but the XL pads do the same. The XL pads are much better, however, they are still like a on ear type of headphones. The inner circumference of the XL pads lays on top of your ears and the outer part of the pads go over your ears, sealing them against your head. After a few hours, the part where the pads lie on top of your ears starts to cause your ears to feel sore, and you just have to take off the headphones and take a rest from listening. Another thing, I've owned these pair of headphones for about 4 years at this point, and the headband has this "vegan leather" that flakes so easily. I've got so bothered to the point I just took some paper towels and isopropyl alcohol and just rubbed the layer off, and since I live in a pretty rainy city, I can no longer wear these headphones when I am out in the rain, in fear the rain will soak the cloth headband, and just kill it, maybe I am just paranoid, but it's only the truth. I've contacted V-MODA hoping I could maybe repair them, knowing it was out of warranty, I was ready to pay out of pocket to fix it, but to my surprise, V-MODA doesn't do repairs, only trade-ins with their Immortal Life program, where you send them your broken pair of headphones and get a 50% discount on a new pair or product replacement if I was still within the warranty period. Sound leakage is also a thing. The M-100s are kinda openback, and what I mean by that is on the outside of the earcups, there are vents that give it an openback design. I can push the headphones maybe up to 30% on Windows before people in the same room as me can hear what I am listening to.

The headphones aren't bad, and I love how they look, how you can customize them and how they sound for my music preference, but for my experience with the V-MODA M-100s, they're not particularly all that great for the price they cost.

@KayTees' Little Brother

My PC: Stepping Stones (2019)

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3

Motherboard: GIGABYTE B360 HD3

RAM: HyperX Fury 8GB (2x4) Black DDR4-2133GHz

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Titanium 8GB

Case: Thermaltake View 27
Storage: SanDisk 2.5" 128GB SSD | Western Digital 3.5" 1TB HDD

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550W

Displays: LG 27GL63TBenQ GW2270 21.5"

Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ Cherry MX Red Switches & 2010 Razer Blackwidow w/ Cherry MX Blues Switches

Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

Headset: V-MODA Crossfade M-100

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 LTSC

Last updated: August 10, 2020 at 2:10 PM

Mobile Devices:

Spoiler

Phone: OnePlus 7 Pro Almond (OnePlus GM1917)

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 8" (SM-T330NU)

Previous Phones: Apple iPhone 4, Apple iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (SM-N910W8), OnePlus 5T (OnePlus A5010), OnePlus 6 (OnePlus A6003)

PCPartsPicker:

Spoiler

PCPartsPicker Link: http://tiny.cc/KenTees

Last updated: April 23, 2019 at 2:00 PM

7 hours ago, rice guru said:

If you want a nice sub bass but blanced detailed everything with a wide sound stage  possibly the closest in sound signature to the 770's 1060c is the best out of these. If you want a balanced mid centric can a little narrower but still good the k553 is the best. Great for monitoring and critical listening . If you want a nice outdoor portable headphone with a v shaped sound signature the m100 these are 

Great if you listen to electronic mainly. 

. And if you want  a good outdoor can with tight bass awesome detailed mids and highs the b and o h6 is great. 

6 hours ago, KenTees said:

I've got the V-MODA M-100s myself. They're pretty good headphones but I want to vent a few things to future owners or potential buyers.

The sound is good. It's not really out of this world, but it's good. I feel like they're pretty good at most genres, EDM being one of them. Of course everyone who's looked into getting this pair of headphones knows, its strong point is bass and it does just that. Durability is also a strong point, and the CLIQFOLD mechanism is pretty cool, and has a pretty satisfying click that I like to play with more than I'd admit to. I've also got the BoomPro mic paired with it as well, and others have told me my voice sounded really clear.

But these headphones aren't without its flaws, and these complaints might veer out potential buyers, but these headphones hurt. Yeah, yeah, the stock pads are horrible, a little research can tell you this, but the XL pads do the same. The XL pads are much better, however, they are still like a on ear type of headphones. The inner circumference of the XL pads lays on top of your ears and the outer part of the pads go over your ears, sealing them against your head. After a few hours, the part where the pads lie on top of your ears starts to cause your ears to feel sore, and you just have to take off the headphones and take a rest from listening. Another thing, I've owned these pair of headphones for about 4 years at this point, and the headband has this "vegan leather" that flakes so easily. I've got so bothered to the point I just took some paper towels and isopropyl alcohol and just rubbed the layer off, and since I live in a pretty rainy city, I can no longer wear these headphones when I am out in the rain, in fear the rain will soak the cloth headband, and just kill it, maybe I am just paranoid, but it's only the truth. I've contacted V-MODA hoping I could maybe repair them, knowing it was out of warranty, I was ready to pay out of pocket to fix it, but to my surprise, V-MODA doesn't do repairs, only trade-ins with their Immortal Life program, where you send them your broken pair of headphones and get a 50% discount on a new pair or product replacement if I was still within the warranty period. Sound leakage is also a thing. The M-100s are kinda openback, and what I mean by that is on the outside of the earcups, there are vents that give it an openback design. I can push the headphones maybe up to 30% on Windows before people in the same room as me can hear what I am listening to. 

The headphones aren't bad, and I love how they look, how you can customize them and how they sound for my music preference, but for my experience with the V-MODA M-100s, they're not particularly all that great for the price they cost.

Thank you both!

I was heavily considering the v-modas because so many people seem to like the sound but if they sue the flaky fake leather and hurt like you say even wit hXL pads then while the design is great I'll drop those from my list.

I think my options now are just between the AKG and the B&O's I've seen people say the AKG has better vocal clarity which is important to me over the B&O's but the B&O's have better everything else. So I'm not quite sure it seems to be a very even split of people liking one over the other.

5 minutes ago, AdmiralMeowmix said:

Thank you both!

I was heavily considering the v-modas because so many people seem to like the sound but if they sue the flaky fake leather and hurt like you say even wit hXL pads then while the design is great I'll drop those from my list.

I think my options now are just between the AKG and the B&O's I've seen people say the AKG has better vocal clarity which is important to me over the B&O's but the B&O's have better everything else. So I'm not quite sure it seems to be a very even split of people liking one over the other.

That's the part where you abuse Amazon's return policy , buy both and return the one you don't like.

14 minutes ago, rice guru said:

That's the part where you abuse Amazon's return policy , buy both and return the one you don't like.

True but it also seems like B&O has discontinued selling their H6 line so it's all third party seller along with AKG is backstocked until JULY for their akg k553 mk2 line so it's even worse third party listings on amazon.

So I'm not sure if I can even buy them from amazon reliably! The B&O's are marked up to $350 from $300 there as well and the AKG's are just sold in listing with very few reviews which is disconcerting.

How about this guy? I know it's a third party seller but if there is some lthing wrong with it you can still go through amazon. also since it's 250 see if you can buy warranty or a protection plan with it. Through Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/PLAY-Bang-Olufsen-Beoplay-Black/dp/B00C4VFYFY/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=b+and+o&qid=1557551310&s=gateway&sr=8-3-spell

Just now, rice guru said:

How about this guy? I know it's a third party seller but if there is some lthing wrong with it you can still go through amazon. also since it's 250 see if you can buy warranty or a protection plan with it. Through Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/PLAY-Bang-Olufsen-Beoplay-Black/dp/B00C4VFYFY/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=b+and+o&qid=1557551310&s=gateway&sr=8-3-spell

I believe those ones are for the 1st generation not 2nd generation. Looks like the only ones I could buy are the AKG ones if I buy from a different storefront, it seems B&*O actually completely discontinued sale of their H6 line from any store front as I can't find them other than ebay and ebay mainly has 1st generations.

2 minutes ago, AdmiralMeowmix said:

I believe those ones are for the 1st generation not 2nd generation. Looks like the only ones I could buy are the AKG ones if I buy from a different storefront, it seems B&*O actually completely discontinued sale of their H6 line from any store front as I can't find them other than ebay and ebay mainly has 1st generations.

how about the h7 and the h8? they are wireless but supposed to sound better than the h6 also $300

Just now, rice guru said:

how about the h7 and the h8? they are wireless but supposed to sound better than the h6 also $300

Unfortunately I'm not looking for wireless headphones. While I'm sure they're convenient I use the headphones so often that I just prefer a wire.

but them being wirelless has  they have anc but makes them kinda worse plugged in than the h6

2 minutes ago, rice guru said:

but them being wirelless has  they have anc but makes them kinda worse plugged in than the h6

I have no idea what you mean by any of that.

I still have time to think things over before I decide as  Ican deal with the brokeness of what I have now but I do thank you for all this advice! It's weird how all the best reccomendations seem to the be the hardest to get headphones xD

Just now, AdmiralMeowmix said:

I still have time to think things over before I decide as  Ican deal with the brokeness of what I have now but I do thank you for all this advice! It's weird how all the best reccomendations seem to the be the hardest to get headphones xD

lol yeah because headphones are such a subjective thing something somone like like say the m50x with marques bronlee I hate. n the topic of audio technica. try to do some research on the m60x I personally really ike these very comfy adn sound great. 

3 minutes ago, AdmiralMeowmix said:

ig you live in a big city I suggest finding all your AV shops and guitar centers andmusic stores and give them a bit of a visit and try as many cans as you can maybe what your looking for is something people really hate or think is mediocre but your ears just love. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2019 at 10:35 PM, rice guru said:

ig you live in a big city I suggest finding all your AV shops and guitar centers andmusic stores and give them a bit of a visit and try as many cans as you can maybe what your looking for is something people really hate or think is mediocre but your ears just love. 

Well amazon got the H6's back in stock! I was looking around more and saw people recommended the MSR7's due to their clarity but since I listen to a wide range of muysic people seem to say the H6 is much better and more 'fun' for that over those that reveal all the little things that are better suited for classical or instramental mained musics. So I ordered the H6's and they will arrive tomorrow, people also say they get better once burned in some too so I can't wait to test them out!

21 minutes ago, AdmiralMeowmix said:

Well amazon got the H6's back in stock! I was looking around more and saw people recommended the MSR7's due to their clarity but since I listen to a wide range of muysic people seem to say the H6 is much better and more 'fun' for that over those that reveal all the little things that are better suited for classical or instramental mained musics. So I ordered the H6's and they will arrive tomorrow, people also say they get better once burned in some too so I can't wait to test them out!

Great. I'm jealous cause I want to get myself a pair but the prices are insane here in canada . while I dont believe in burn in I hope you like your new cans. 

2 hours ago, rice guru said:

Great. I'm jealous cause I want to get myself a pair but the prices are insane here in canada . while I dont believe in burn in I hope you like your new cans. 

I do think burn in happens, my current pair however just kinda muddied with time they were much clearer when i first got them. And yeah Canada prices can be weird especially since the company doesn't directly sell them anymore in favour of their wireless brand.

37 minutes ago, AdmiralMeowmix said:

I do think burn in happens, my current pair however just kinda muddied with time they were much clearer when i first got them. And yeah Canada prices can be weird especially since the company doesn't directly sell them anymore in favour of their wireless brand.

burn in to me on headphones is just people getting used to a certain headphone unless we are talking about electrostatics where they literally need to charge. 

1 hour ago, rice guru said:

burn in to me on headphones is just people getting used to a certain headphone unless we are talking about electrostatics where they literally need to charge. 

I see, I also ordered the v moda audio only cable as people have said the cable that it comes with isn't great and a replacement is better, the vmoda one people said is a tight fight but it fits and works well without audio static from rubbing together like other cable suggestions I've seen.

14 hours ago, rice guru said:

the headphones have arrived! It even comes with a pouch which people said it stopped shipping with so this must have been older stock of it neat.

Oh my imedietly the audio quality is so much better! I can *feel* subtle drum beats the beyerdynamics didn't even PROCESS where there. Voices are clear and bass is boomy, way boomier than the 770's which i believe were even focused more on bass. Everything is clearer, probably not as clear as the MSR7's which apparently detail like everything but it's clear enough that it blends together and does a really nice job of it. There's something about them that does make the music pop more, the vibrations the bass, etc that really do make them more fun to listen too than the 770's. The 770's blends it together but it falls flat there's no oomph to it, no subtle vibrations in there, weak bass, while clear other instruments blend too much. The cups are smaller than i thought but they fit perfectly around my ears even with my glasses on and feel very comfortable so far.

The stock cable is garbage small so it's a bit of an awkward angle to have it connected to my computer. All in all I've only used them a bit but I am IMMEDIATELY impressed by them, I aint no headphone nerd or super knowledgeable about all the terms but I can say it's a good significant step up from the 770's which i already thought were amazing.

28 minutes ago, AdmiralMeowmix said:

the headphones have arrived! It even comes with a pouch which people said it stopped shipping with so this must have been older stock of it neat.

Oh my imedietly the audio quality is so much better! I can *feel* subtle drum beats the beyerdynamics didn't even PROCESS where there. Voices are clear and bass is boomy, way boomier than the 770's which i believe were even focused more on bass. Everything is clearer, probably not as clear as the MSR7's which apparently detail like everything but it's clear enough that it blends together and does a really nice job of it. There's something about them that does make the music pop more, the vibrations the bass, etc that really do make them more fun to listen too than the 770's. The 770's blends it together but it falls flat there's no oomph to it, no subtle vibrations in there, weak bass, while clear other instruments blend too much. The cups are smaller than i thought but they fit perfectly around my ears even with my glasses on and feel very comfortable so far.

The stock cable is garbage small so it's a bit of an awkward angle to have it connected to my computer. All in all I've only used them a bit but I am IMMEDIATELY impressed by them, I aint no headphone nerd or super knowledgeable about all the terms but I can say it's a good significant step up from the 770's which i already thought were amazing.

I believe what you are experiencing is due to to the narrower more intimate soundstage but much tighter bass response with nicer brighter midrange. glad your happy with it. 

6 hours ago, rice guru said:

I believe what you are experiencing is due to to the narrower more intimate soundstage but much tighter bass response with nicer brighter midrange. glad your happy with it. 

After a few hours I can tell why someone fidn them comfortable, the headband doesn't have much if any rela padding and the pressure takes time to adjust too but I find the ear cups a good size and I am loving the sound quality.

3 hours ago, AdmiralMeowmix said:

After a few hours I can tell why someone fidn them comfortable, the headband doesn't have much if any rela padding and the pressure takes time to adjust too but I find the ear cups a good size and I am loving the sound quality.

and thats what matters the most. you can always try to mod any comfort issues