Router support

Floatas

Hello guys.

I purchased a new router, cause my old one failed.

It's D-Link Dir-825 AC1200, but the problem is - there is no new firmware support for it, no port forwarding option, no QoS and probably no option to install third party firmware.

I'm completely lost with this new GUI and router, any help is appreciated.

Screenshot_2.png

Aren't the ISP provide you a router?

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

13 minutes ago, Floatas said:

no port forwarding option

Sure,  it does. Just look under advanced settings.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

4 minutes ago, Constantin said:

Aren't the ISP provide you a router?

They could, but what is the difference?

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

Sure,  it does. Just look under advanced settings.

Nope, unless wording is different:

Screenshot_3.png

1 hour ago, Floatas said:

They could, but what is the difference?

This issue you are going through right now!!

In my country they give them for free.

And decent routers, not to spit on the floor

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

1 minute ago, Floatas said:

Nope, unless wording is different:

You know, you could've just checked those categories. Just going to guess, but port-forwarding settings are either in "Ports Settings", "Redirect" or "Remote Access"

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, Constantin said:

This issue you are going through right now!!

In my country they give them for free.

And decent routers, not to spit on the floor

Over here, you only get a router or modem for free when you sign up. Not if the one you've been given breaks.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

You know, you could've just checked those categories. Just going to guess, but port-forwarding settings are either in "Ports Settings", "Redirect" or "Remote Access"

So you think i came here without checking anything? Those sections don't have options to create rules for portforwarding

4 minutes ago, Floatas said:

So you think i came here without checking anything? Those sections don't have options to create rules for portforwarding

Show what they contain.

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Show what they contain.

port settings.png

remote access.png

redirect.png

remote access.png

Well, there you go.

What about Qos?

QoS is something that not all manufacturers bother implementing. I have no idea if that router supports such or not, sorry.

Ah, what a shame...

Are you sure it is R1?

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

On 5/10/2019 at 3:58 PM, SupaKomputa said:

Ah, what a shame...

Are you sure it is R1?

Yeah, check the picture, same hardware version is on the router's back. I would love to install custom software, because upload speed buffer bloat is driving me nuts, and i can notice these hiccups, when i'm gaming online, while others are using router too. Limiting speeds just makes it worse...

I just checked possible specs (It shows up as the DIR-825/AC on one of D-Link's websites (http://www.dlink.ru/mn/products/5/1993.html)).

I really hope that those specs do not equal your hardware revision, because if so, it is extremely low-end (Realtek's drivers are not the best, to put it lightly).

Can you post a link to it's firmware GPL source code?

I'd like to verify the model, so as to ascertain what is the possibility of D-Link adding QoS.

Recommendation: If you wish to replace the firmware down the road, avoid Avago/Broadcom hardware from the past few years, due to Avago/Broadcom not allowing redistribution of their firmware binaries, effectively preventing development on their hardware (this has been ever since Avago bought Broadcom, integrated it and renamed themselves to Broadcom).

2 hours ago, moriel5 said:

I just checked possible specs (It shows up as the DIR-825/AC on one of D-Link's websites (http://www.dlink.ru/mn/products/5/1993.html)).

I really hope that those specs do not equal your hardware revision, because if so, it is extremely low-end (Realtek's drivers are not the best, to put it lightly.

Can you post a link to it's firmware GPL source code?

I'd like to verify the model, so as to ascertain what is the possibility of D-Link adding QoS.

Recommendation: If you wish to replace the firmware down the road, avoid Avago/Broadcom hardware from the past few years, due to Avago/Broadcom not allowing redistribution of their firmware binaries, effectively preventing development on their hardware (this has been ever since Avago bought Broadcom, integrated it and renamed themselves to Broadcom).

Yep it's the same AC1200, so i should bring it back? I don't know what is GPL source code and where to find it.

11 minutes ago, Floatas said:

Yep it's the same AC1200, so i should bring it back? I don't know what is GPL source code and where to find it.

I recommend you to replace it with a router that has either Lantiq(/Intel) (with WiFi that is not Lantiq, though), Qualcomm, or if you are looking for a budget option, specific Mediatek-based routers (only go this route if you will immediately replace the firmware).

D-Link should have some good options with those chipsets (no idea about Mediatek), and Xiaomi has some very good budget routers (I personally recommend the Xiaomi Mi 3G Router, due to it's 256MB of DDR3 RAM, however it only has 2 LANs, the Mi 3 Pro (with the Qualcomm SoC) is an even better choice, however it is more expensive).

As for the GPL, I won't bore you, however it stands for "GNU Public License", which is an open-source license that requires companies to release their modifications for GPL-licensed software (this, by the way, goes a long way towards enabling community support, such as OpenWrt availability, for routers).

33 minutes ago, moriel5 said:

I recommend you to replace it with a router that has either Lantiq(/Intel) (with WiFi that is not Lantiq, though), Qualcomm, or if you are looking for a budget option, specific Mediatek-based routers (only go this route if you will immediately replace the firmware).

D-Link should have some good options with those chipsets (no idea about Mediatek), and Xiaomi has some very good budget routers (I personally recommend the Xiaomi Mi 3G Router, due to it's 256MB of DDR3 RAM, however it only has 2 LANs, the Mi 3 Pro (with the Qualcomm SoC) is an even better choice, however it is more expensive).

As for the GPL, I won't bore you, however it stands for "GNU Public License", which is an open-source license that requires companies to release their modifications for GPL-licensed software (this, by the way, goes a long way towards enabling community support, such as OpenWrt availability, for routers).

my budget is below 50 euros and i need 4 ports - 1 pc, 3 tv's. And my bandwith is 100Mbits, any suggestions?

58 minutes ago, Floatas said:

my budget is below 50 euros and i need 4 ports - 1 pc, 3 tv's. And my bandwith is 100Mbits, any suggestions?

There is another option on Amazon US, with the same chipset as the Mi 3G, as well as an option that is only available from within China, again, with the same SoC, and both have 4 Gigabit LANs, but they have less RAM (the Amazon US option - 64MB, the chinese option - I forget).

I'll check the OpenWrt forums later and update you.

Another option, go WiFi (the Intel Wireless-AC 9260 is a great option, especially together with the Fenvi M.2 to PCIe adapter).

Update: The router available from Amazon US, the Hootoo AC1200 (HT-ND001), no longer in stock, however you can order one on eBay.

Update 2: The router only available within china, is the D-Team (a white label company that makes some of Lenovo's routers) NeWiFi D2.

Edited by moriel5
Added NeWiFi D2 Info

It looks like the ZBT WE1326 (OEM version of Fuson-WR106) may also be a choice, if you can find it (again, same chipset).

SoC: MT7621AT (same as Xiaomi Mi 3G)

RAM: 512MB DDR3

SPI: 16MB, can be replaced by up to 32MB via soldering

NAND: None, can be soldered in

LAN: 4x1Gbt/s

WAN 1x1Gbt/s

USB: 1xUSB2

SD: 1xmicroSD slot

SIM: 1xminiSIM (I think, could be microSIM) slot

WWAN: None, can be slotted in the mPCIe slot, antennaes support 2G/3G/4G

WiFi: Same as Xiaomi Mi 3G, 4 removable 5dBi antennaes

Buttons: 1, Reset button

LEDs: 8

You can also add heatsinks (none are installed by default).

This is actually the best router at these prices I have seen so far, albeit requires soldering to actually fulfill it's potential.

2 minutes ago, moriel5 said:

It looks like the ZBT WE1326 (OEM version of Fuson-WR106) may also be a choice, if you can find it (again, same chipset).

SoC: MT7621AT (same as Xiaomi Mi 3G)

RAM: 512MB DDR3

SPI: 16MB, can be replaced by up to 32MB via soldering

NAND: None, can be soldered in

LAN: 4x1Gbt/s

WAN 1x1Gbt/s

USB: 1xUSB2

SD: 1xmicroSD slot

SIM: 1xminiSIM (I think, could be microSIM) slot

WWAN: None, can be slotted in the mPCIe slot, antennaes support 2G/3G/4G

WiFi: Same as Xiaomi Mi 3G, 4 removable 5dBi antennaes

Buttons: 1, Reset button

LEDs: 8

You can also add heatsinks (none are installed by default).

This is actually the best router at these prices I have seen so far, albeit requires soldering to actually fulfill it's potential.

Im not enthusiast, so i don't really need extreme routers, just a simple one, that is durable and can manage the bandwith that is given through 4 devices.

Im not enthusiast, so i don't really need extreme routers, just a simple one, that is durable and can manage the bandwith that is given through 4 devices.

At these prices though, it can be sometimes be hard to get something that is truly high quality, so I think the NeWiFi D2 is your best bet, on eBay (I just found it, it is also called the NeWiFi3), after you flash on it OpenWrt.