What GPU To Buy? - No Navi

KimberlyHulshof

I am getting my friend over to buy me my first ever graphics card for my up coming birthday in june [ so we can stream games together that day ]

I have for now on my list an Asus Arez Strix RX Vega 56 O8G Gaming card but i was wondering if there was any better choice?

I do not have more money then €350 Max avaiable to me.

And this card is currently €325 where i live, now like i said we will be streaming [ 1920x1080 minimumly at 60 fps and High settings streaming on twitch and youtube. ] 

Current system - 
8GB Ram from Crucial

120gb SSD for Bootloading and main .exe's

2x 500GB HDD's running in Raid 0

CPU: i3-8100 3.60GHz

IGPU: UHD 630

I will be mainly playing games like the new Resident Evil remake, Tomb Raider, and Satisfactory and also Subnautica [ was never able to play it before ;-; ]

I have currently no watercooling [ trying to get it as soon as i get The Tower 900 case ] but i have 4 fans installed with a bit of modding and a smaller HDD Cage for my HDD's in my Thermaltake Versa 21 case so that the graphics card can fit, i am using a 500W powersupply [ using a PSU calculator i saw this is enough if i do not overclock my gpu ] and will be upgrading this soon to a 850W along with a future update of 8gb more ram and an i5-9600k.

I will be recording video's in 2k to downscale it to 1080p so that the pixels become more packed.

That CPU will hold you back.

You won't be able to get the full performance out of the Vega 56 with an i3.

I would sell the i3, buy an i5-8400/8500, buy 8GB more ram for total of 16GB, then I'd then get an RX 580 8GB

That should be doable within your budget.

For streaming you do need more than 8GB RAM if you're also gonna play games at the same time.

And then for streaming I'd recommend using Radeon ReLive with the GPU because that has only a tiny impact on fps.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

13 minutes ago, KimberlyHulshof said:

I have currently no watercooling [ trying to get it as soon as i get The Tower 900 case ] but i have 4 fans installed with a bit of modding and a smaller HDD Cage for my HDD's in my Thermaltake Versa 21 case so that the graphics card can fit, i am using a 500W powersupply [ using a PSU calculator i saw this is enough if i do not overclock my gpu ] and will be upgrading this soon to a 850W along with a future update of 8gb more ram and an i5-9600k.

I will be recording video's in 2k to downscale it to 1080p so that the pixels become more packed.

I would just honestly stick with higher bandwidth 1080p 60fps videos.

Something like 30Mbit/s 1080p60 will give you a more clear image

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

7 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

That CPU will hold you back.

You won't be able to get the full performance out of the Vega 56 with an i3.

I would sell the i3, buy an i5-8400/8500, buy 8GB more ram for total of 16GB, then I'd then get an RX 580 8GB

That should be doable within your budget.

For streaming you do need more than 8GB RAM if you're also gonna play games at the same time.

And then for streaming I'd recommend using Radeoj ReLive with the GPU because that has only a tiny impact on fps.

I'd love to but that pricing is not correct.

I only have €350 The i5-8400 is €212,- 
The ram is €45,- 
And the gpu is €189,-

The reason i am currently going for the Vega is so that i can atleast stream / record decently, the CPU is powerful enough for normal streaming the Ram i could get if i look nicely at my accountant maybe but the CPU i am still going for later for the 9600K - that way i am not limiting myself to a lower clock for now as near the end of June [ after saving from teh first of june ] i can get the CPU then its worth it, and another month after that i can already get the case i want.

15 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

PSU calcs are bs your system doesn't need more than 500ws.  i doubt that system is using 400ws even right now.  Vega 56 or the 2060 is what I'd suggest.

Secondly, we have a psu tier guide here.  Quality matters too.

Ah thanks for the post ^^

Luckily i have a Cooler master  bronze certified one, but yeah i am upgrading to a Gold PSU soon aswell when i get my new CPU so i can overclock it the GPU to %150 by undervolting and overclocking it and the CPU overclock to 5.2GHZ.

26 minutes ago, KimberlyHulshof said:

Asus Arez Strix RX Vega 56 O8G

isnt strix vega have a lot of problems, i mean like it really does. but i would really not care about bottlenecks (in a sense that it still makes sense), if you stream with the vega i dont think there is any bottleneck except multitasking while streaming because that CPU is only 4c/4t.

1 minute ago, Oalei said:

isnt strix vega have a lot of problems, i mean like it really does. but i would really not care about bottlenecks (in a sense that it still makes sense), if you stream with the vega i dont think there is any bottleneck except multitasking while streaming because that CPU is only 4c/4t.

True, but i will only be using OBS with it and the game - I will use my phone to keep an eye on the stream on Twitch so that there is possibly a bit of delay but i use my phone & pc using a 3.5 Jack combiner that way i hear both audio and know if the audio is faltering or whatever.

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

I think so I'd get a Sapphire Pulse, personally.

Ah i just saw the pulse yeah its only €7,- more so that could be a good thing.. plus an extra 8 Gig.

Just now, KimberlyHulshof said:

True, but i will only be using OBS with it and the game - I will use my phone to keep an eye on the stream on Twitch so that there is possibly a bit of delay but i use my phone & pc using a 3.5 Jack combiner that way i hear both audio and know if the audio is faltering or whatever.

than with all my reasoning its fine, i mean you will upgrade soon with 8600K but i would reccomend 9600K if its cheaper (almost no way its cheaper), very decent setup good luck dude.

1 minute ago, Oalei said:

than with all my reasoning its fine, i mean you will upgrade soon with 8600K but i would reccomend 9600K if its cheaper (almost no way its cheaper), very decent setup good luck dude.

Hehe i am going for the 9600k :P With the PSU i have in mind i can overclock it to a nice 5.2GHz so i can also do some light video editing ^^

Hell currently i am using a 32 inch tv that runs on 1080p that will slow the Vega down enough hopefully to llow my cpu a bit of catch up time, i know the bottleneck is about %32 percent, but with the i5-9600k i plan on getting it is %0.5 so then i will have a what they call on GPU user benchmark as an "UFO" Build.

7 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

I think so I'd get a Sapphire Pulse, personally.

I'm just happy i did not go with the Gigabyte one with 3 HDMI's and 3 Display ports [ which i originally wanted to do ].

Its more expensive but also a lot of weird comments like saying some its worse some say its better then advertised.

38 minutes ago, KimberlyHulshof said:

I have currently no watercooling [ trying to get it as soon as i get The Tower 900 case ] 

With that CPU what's make you think that water cooling is necessary?

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

3 minutes ago, KimberlyHulshof said:

Hehe i am going for the 9600k :P With the PSU i have in mind i can overclock it to a nice 5.2GHz so i can also do some light video editing ^^

i geuss my eyes betrayed me (been very tired lately). Yeah OC to 5.2 is very optimistic what cooler are you going to use? even if its for video editing even 1440p is still usable,maybe.

Just now, Oalei said:

i geuss my eyes betrayed me (been very tired lately). Yeah OC to 5.2 is very optimistic what cooler are you going to use? even if its for video editing even 1440p is still usable,maybe.

I am going to get the Tower 900 case - the one they used in the FULL RGB build, so about 2 480mm rads with some mods to the case to allow 2 360/240 rads in the top / back that way i can get more serious cooling hard line tubing with one of both going to the CPU and the other to the GPU with their own reservoir and all so that i can do a mixed colour build - going Pink with electric blue.

2 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

I am going to get a i5-9600k overclocked to 5.2 Ghz

8 minutes ago, KimberlyHulshof said:

Hell currently i am using a 32 inch tv that runs on 1080p that will slow the Vega down enough hopefully to llow my cpu a bit of catch up time, i know the bottleneck is about %32 percent, but with the i5-9600k i plan on getting it is %0.5 so then i will have a what they call on GPU user benchmark as an "UFO" Build.

You’re monitor isn’t gonna slow down your GPU... 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

Just now, Stormseeker9 said:

You’re monitor isn’t gonna slow down your GPU... 

Welp there goes the hope. xD

6 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Agreeed. Water cooling completely unnecessary for OP’s current system. 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

1 minute ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Watercooling is gonna magically overclock his cpu to 5.2... ?

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

3 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Watercooling is gonna magically overclock his cpu to 5.2... ?

If he does sub zero cooling.. yes ??

2 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

For this one it will be mainly aesthetics and for getting the parts in for the Tower 900 case for my soon to be got overclocked i5-9600K i iwll be running at 5.2Ghz so i will need heavy cooling if i want it to stay properly cool. 

4 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

That one  I think had high failure rates.  Sapphire usually makes the best AMD cards it's like EVGA for AMD.

I would do these over time.

You s aid you want the i5, that board is really good for ocing, the cooler is a D15 rival for less, that card is the one we talked about, and that PSU can handle all your parts, is high quality, can handle the ocs, but for like 5 bucks more you could get the 650w version.  Probably overkill yet you might want extra head room.  850ws is just not needed.

Ah i could understand that, so i will still go for the 650w though, but that is because i will also be going for about 8TB of storage in the future [ i would like to keep my recordings on my pc for some time to see if i can make improvements ] 

The Cooler looks good however sound is not an issue for me ^^ I'd gladly be running it in the bottom of my open closet [ far away from my desk using a 5M charged hdmi cable ] So i could run a Cooler master RGB fan at full speed if i wanted to without making a difference to the audio.

Current PSU is a Cooler Master B500 Ver.2 80+ PSU

2 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

If he does sub zero cooling.. yes ??

Just saying i am a SHE xD

And, i will be following most over clocking guides that i5 9600k how to overclock like this one tell you how they did it.

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

That doesn't look like PSU I'd use for OCing.  The DRP4 and D15 rival a lot of better AIOs, but is more on par with the h105 from Corsair.  The PSU you have is basically an older design too.  Drives don't really add much wattage to a build at all.  That's more on the CPU/GPU side and OCing.

Ah alrighty then, i'm just happy that not everyone is being a dick about it. xD

Also current motherboard is a Gigabyte Z370p D3

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

I mean if you're really trying to push a voltage hard you will need custom liquid cooling, your more common oc can be done with the drp4/d15/larger AIO, but if you're going Kingpin or Der8auer level you'd need something like chilled water, phase change, or ln2.

Ah i thought of something like that but if that is true i will be indeed toning down the OC a bit, i don't like using AIO and like i said in an earlier reaction i will be going Custom liquid cooling with Hard Tubing, with the Tower 900 case with giant rads strong fans and with a custom loop for the GPu and a different one for the CPU just so they don't carry more heat with eachother, and that way if one does give away i do not have to drain two loops at once.

And allows me to do multiple colours of RGB in one system at once and different colours for it over all by the fluid color.