What to use to copy a whole drive

LukeNukem9

So i want to copy the data (partitions and all) from one HDD to a SSD. The hard drive is 640Gb and i tried reducing the main partition to fit on the 240Gb SSD. However, I cant shrink it below 290Gb(ish) and in GParted it just says it cant handle NTFS very well so i hooked it up to my main rig and windows said there are important files around the 290GB block area and it cant shrink anymore because of that. Can i just try to recreate the partitions then copy the data manually? Or will that foobar it up?

I'm gonna go find my own tech support...

with BLACKJACK and HOOKERS!

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

I'd strongly recommend just doing a fresh install of Windows.  Then you can hook up the HDD to your computer, boot to the SSD, move whatever files you need over, then format the HDD and use it for storage.

If it can't shrink small enough to fit on the SSD, then it isn't going to be possible.  I agree with the clean install on the SSD.  Then add in the HDD as a data drive.

Is it an OS drive? I don't believe you've specified it.

Trying to "clone" a drive is quite a serious task and whatever software you use like Clonezilla won't do miracle of fitting 290gb inside 240gb.

To my understanding if you absolutely want to clone your current drive be it with OS or not you will need at least a 480gb SSD.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

You need to do one of two things. Get a bigger SSD as @Princess Luna mentioned, or do a fresh install (as @AlexTheGreatish said) which is never a really bad idea. I know it is a pain. However, you will find it helps with de-cluttering and making your machine run faster and more efficient.

Instructions for frustration management:  

1) Sit at desk.   2) Repeatedly slam forehead against desk.

I never said I was smart, just smart enough to be dangerous.

ORLY?

……..'|:::::::,': : : : : : :_„„-: : : : : : : : ~--„_: |'
………|::::::|: : : „--~~'''~~''''''''-„…_..„~''''''''''''¯|
………|:::::,':_„„-|: : :_„---~: : :|''¯¯''''|: ~---„_: ||
……..,~-,_/'': : : |:    ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) : |: : : :|:  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)): \..|
……../,'-,: : : : : ''-,_______,-'': : : : ''-„_____|
……..\: :|: : : : : : : : : : : : : :„: : : : :-,: : : : : : : ?
………',:': : : : : : : : : : : : :,-'__: : : :_',: : : : ;: ,'
……….'-,-': : : : : :___„-: : :'': : ¯''~~'': ': : ~--|'
………….|: ,: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :: :
………….'|: \: : : : : : : : -,„_„„-~~--~--„_: :: |
…………..|: \: : : : : : : : : : : :-------~: : : : : |
You have been visited by the propane god, I tell ya hwat. Repost this on 5 more profiles or Hank Hill will bring the propain.

- credit to, @Cinnabar Sonar

11 hours ago, Princess Luna said:

Is it an OS drive? I don't believe you've specified it.

Trying to "clone" a drive is quite a serious task and whatever software you use like Clonezilla won't do miracle of fitting 290gb inside 240gb.

To my understanding if you absolutely want to clone your current drive be it with OS or not you will need at least a 480gb SSD.

10 hours ago, dual290x said:

You need to do one of two things. Get a bigger SSD as @Princess Luna mentioned, or do a fresh install (as @AlexTheGreatish said) which is never a really bad idea. I know it is a pain. However, you will find it helps with de-cluttering and making your machine run faster and more efficient.

The only option to fit 290gb inside 240gb is to move data off it

@dual290x @Princess Luna @AlexTheGreatish @DeaconFrost Sorry but i forgot to mention, This is a laptop for my grandma as well I previously replaced the fan so i'm doing this for her as well. I seem to have misplaced my SATA/IDE to USB adapter (works like a charm) So im kinda out of options but a clean install might be a good idea.

I'm gonna go find my own tech support...

with BLACKJACK and HOOKERS!

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

9 hours ago, LukeTheCoder05 said:

@dual290x @Princess Luna @AlexTheGreatish @DeaconFrost Sorry but i forgot to mention, This is a laptop for my grandma as well I previously replaced the fan so i'm doing this for her as well. I seem to have misplaced my SATA/IDE to USB adapter (works like a charm) So im kinda out of options but a clean install might be a good idea.

If memaw is using it then you should to do a fresh install (unless the old drive has legacy apps that she really wants to keep).

Deleting/not installing all the downloaded docs, jpegs and apps that have not been used or opened since Bill Clinton was impeached will truly make the upgrade worth while. 

I poke some fun because I dealt with this on three separate occassions with the same family member. Nothing personal bud. Good luck. 

FYI. In the south, Memaw is a common nickname for grandmothers.

Instructions for frustration management:  

1) Sit at desk.   2) Repeatedly slam forehead against desk.

I never said I was smart, just smart enough to be dangerous.

ORLY?

……..'|:::::::,': : : : : : :_„„-: : : : : : : : ~--„_: |'
………|::::::|: : : „--~~'''~~''''''''-„…_..„~''''''''''''¯|
………|:::::,':_„„-|: : :_„---~: : :|''¯¯''''|: ~---„_: ||
……..,~-,_/'': : : |:    ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) : |: : : :|:  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)): \..|
……../,'-,: : : : : ''-,_______,-'': : : : ''-„_____|
……..\: :|: : : : : : : : : : : : : :„: : : : :-,: : : : : : : ?
………',:': : : : : : : : : : : : :,-'__: : : :_',: : : : ;: ,'
……….'-,-': : : : : :___„-: : :'': : ¯''~~'': ': : ~--|'
………….|: ,: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :: :
………….'|: \: : : : : : : : -,„_„„-~~--~--„_: :: |
…………..|: \: : : : : : : : : : : :-------~: : : : : |
You have been visited by the propane god, I tell ya hwat. Repost this on 5 more profiles or Hank Hill will bring the propain.

- credit to, @Cinnabar Sonar