How to play at 1440p on 4k monitor without scaling/interpolation

di33
Go to solution Solved by di33,

In my test i made 3840x1440 and i couldn't move the mouse to the top of the screen. It looked like native 1440p with no scaling. I think this is the solution. If it is, I couldn't find this answer on youtube, maybe it's too obvious to make a video.

I have a BenQ BL2711U 27" 4K IPS Monitor. 1080 Ti.

How can I game at 1440p with black bars on the edges instead of having the image scale to the full size of the screen?

That would look tiny, but idk if it is possible.

The easiest would be to have a completely empty black desktop, and then just play the games in "windowed borderless".

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

I just tried "Custom Resolution" in the NVIDIA Control Panel. I think it may work, but i can't test it until i organize the cables out of my GPU fan in a few days.]

I wonder if there's something like that for AMD users.

2 minutes ago, di33 said:

I just tried "Custom Resolution" in the NVIDIA Control Panel. I think it may work, but i can't test it until i organize the cables out of my GPU fan in a few days.]

I wonder if there's something like that for AMD users.

But doesn't the custom resolution just stretch out?

AMD users have AMD Control Panel.

In my test i made 3840x1440 and i couldn't move the mouse to the top of the screen. It looked like native 1440p with no scaling. I think this is the solution. If it is, I couldn't find this answer on youtube, maybe it's too obvious to make a video.

11 minutes ago, di33 said:

Well that isn't 1440p, that is ultrawide 1440p.

Native 1440p would be 2560x1440p.

But if it works, then it is good.

The problem is that your monitor will try to fit the image so it covers as much surface are as possible without distorting it. If you use a 16:9 resolution the monitor will just scale it up; if you use something like 3840x1440, as you did, the monitor can't scale it up without distorting or hiding parts of the image so it leave it be. This behavior isn't the same for all monitors and it's possible you can toggle it off in yours - check in the settings menu. If you manage to disable it simply setting your game to full screen and the resolution to 1440p should achieve the effect you want.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 hours ago, di33 said:

I have a BenQ BL2711U 27" 4K IPS Monitor. 1080 Ti.

How can I game at 1440p with black bars on the edges instead of having the image scale to the full size of the screen?

On NVIDIA's Control Panel under Display -> "Adjust desktop size and position", you can set the scaling to be done on the GPU and set it for either keeping the same aspect ratio or with no-scaling to map the pixels 1:1.