Competition for Media Feature Pack?

dabockster

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a non-Microsoft software package that could replicate the features found in the Media Feature Pack for Windows 10 N. The reason that I am asking is that there was a rather show stopping bug recently that caused Firefox and Chrome to be totally unable to play online video.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1521370

Based on the bug, it became clear that the various Firefox developers had basically assumed that the Media Feature Pack would be manually installed 100% of the time. But what if that didn't happen? What if the system codec is bugged again? What if I want to use a competing product (economic competition, anti-trust, etc)? So that got me thinking that there has to be a competing product that would produce the same functionality.

The Media Feature Pack has Windows Media Player, the Enhanced Video Renderer (EVR), Media Foundation codecs, and the Windows Media format codecs. WMP can be replaced easily with other media players like VLC, MPC-HD, and Cyberlink PowerDVD. Media Foundation and Windows Media can be installed manually via things like K-Lite and Chocolatey (I think). That leaves the EVR, which I haven't found a solution for yet.

Anyone know more than I do about this? Is there a competing software out there for the EVR? Open source is preferred but not a hard requirement. I'm not afraid to compile from source if I have to.

----

Note that if this thread gets too hung up on the politics regarding why Windows N exists in the first place (eg the EU court ruling), I will have the mods lock this thread. This is supposed to be a discussion about if it's technically possible to avoid using the Media Feature Pack.

lttstore.com

On 5/14/2019 at 12:11 AM, Screen said:

Not quite sure if you can pull it off but try https://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

Tried that. It doesn't register itself with Windows the way, ahem, professional packages do (it's a Windows API). It just dumps the codecs on disk and leaves the user to go find them.

I was thinking about reaching out to that dev via email or something, but idk if I can find their contact info.

lttstore.com

• 8 months later...

bump the thread, problem still exist, solution still not exist, except reinstall windows..