Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Faisal A

Cheapest mobo for Xeon X5670

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi,

I am building a pc on a very tight budget. I have found a really cheap Xeon for £20 and I am looking for a really cheap mobo to go with it. I do not need a lot of ram (2-4gb should be fine) and do not need a lot of features  (don't need gigabit ethernet, more than 4 ram slot, wifi, usb 3.0, and more than one pcie slot) therefore I do not want to spend more than £30. Does anybody know of a cheap mobo that meets my requirements ? Thanks for your help

17 minutes ago, Faisal A said:

therefore I do not want to spend more than £30. Does anybody know of a cheap mobo that meets my requirements ? Thanks for your help

X58 motherboards tend to be overpriced (since you can get really good Xeons for dirt cheap), so I don't think you'll easily find anything for ~£30. Those go for around £100 or more.

Also, this might be a good thread for you: 

Primary Desktop PC: Intel® Xeon® X5675 @ 4.62 GHz 1.4V || NZXT HAVIK 140 & Noctua NA-SRC10 || ASUS P6X58-E WS || Crucial DDR3-1606 8-11-11-28 (2x4GB) || ASUS STRIX GTX 770 || Samsung 860 EVO 1TB 2.5" SSD || WD Green 1TB 3.5" HDD (7.2K RPM) || Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) || Corsair AX860i & White CableMod ModFlex™ Cables || Logitech G710+ (Cherry MX Browns) || Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum || Logitech G27 Racing Wheel || Samsung 23.6" 1080p 60Hz PLS (OC'd to 75Hz) || CPU-Z Validation

Tech yes city and craft computers spotlighted some new motherboards from AliExpress that we're pretty cheap and technically not x58, but are made to work with lga1366 Xeons.

Asus Sabertooth X58, Xeon X5680 @4.0Ghz, NZXT Kraken x61, 24Gb Klevv 1600mhz, MSI GTX 1080 Armor,

Seasonic SSR-550rm, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Rosewill Stryker M

Dell Optiplex 790, i7-2600, 16GB, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 960 4GB OC, Corsair CX550M 

Asus Sabertooth X58, Xeon X5680 @4.0Ghz, NZXT Kraken x61, 24Gb Klevv 1600mhz, MSI GTX 1080 Armor,

Dell Optiplex 790, i7-2600, 16GB, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 960 4GB OC, Corsair CX550M 

Another option is an old workstation that uses lga1366 like a T3500 or Z800

Just now, asand1 said:

Another option is an old workstation that uses lga1366 like a T3500 or Z800

The research involved would be a little extensive, sometimes those OEM BIOSes can be picky about CPUs.

As stated above, it's difficult to find X58 boards in your price range. You could go with a chinesium branded board at the 38-40 GBP mark off of Ebay... but searching for a used board might be your best bet at this point.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

18 minutes ago, Faisal A said:

That board is for a rackmount server and will likely not fit in a consumer case.

I would stay clear of server boards due to proprietary connectors and high fan speeds.

39 minutes ago, Faisal A said:

All I can say is be very careful with old server boards... There can be countless pitfalls trying to adapt them to run with consumer gear. Proprietary front panel connections, onboard PDUs, proprietary CPU coolers, only certain supported CPUs, and restrictive proprietary firmware to name a few things. Please know what you're buying and all the restrictions that might come with it... Nothing worse than dropping money on a piece of hardware you can't use.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

Having done similar to this a few times, definitely don't use the ML350 motherboard
The first two (of many) issues you'll run into are;
First the size of it, it doesn't fit into any case except custom designed ones.
Second, the power, it has what I believe is a standard connector, plus an additional custom 16pin.

Newer server boards from manufacturers like HP, Dell, IBM, are even worse on the power front, as the connector is more like a slot connector.
If you really want to use a Xeon your best best for compatibility are Supermicro or Tyan motherboards.  But that will run you about £100 at a minimum.

For a single socket board you might get lucky with something like this at £45
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/X58-Lga-1366-Motherboard-Support-For-REG-ECC-Server-Memory-And-Xeon-Processo-2C7/303144539826?epid=16031669352&hash=item4694d296b2:g:330AAOSwkhtcztbY
But honestly, I have no idea what that is.  There are no markings and I don't recognise it in any way.  So it might be total garbage.

Also be aware any server motherboard is going to potentially be on the large size, especially if its dual socket.  Many are not ATX format!  So will not fit in the majority of cases.  Many of them will be custom or state an EEB format, which in on the most part is a custom format.

If I recall, the HP Z400's are standard ATX. No idea if the front panel connectors or anything else is required to make it work. There's also the Dell XPS/Alienware motherboards which I think you can overclock but I'm not seeing anything attractive on ebay. I'd highly suggest to harass everyone you might know who could have old systems laying around, the best source of cheap X58 motherboards is going to be friends, family and people who don't know what they have.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-586968-001-Z400-Workstation-LGA1366-Motherboard-586766-002/382884615165

If you're just looking for dirt cheap, LGA1156 is much cheaper motherboard wise. Old prebuilts are also pretty cheap depending on your area, I've seen Haswell Optiplex's go for like $100 locally to me, Ivy Bridge i7 systems will still play games pretty well and DDR3 can be cheap if you buy used. If you just want a working system without a dedicated graphics card, SFF(small form factor) pre-builts are usually dirt cheap around like $100 for a working system. SFF graphics cards really aren't worth it and are worth a premium though so any money you save is going to be wasted on top of kneecapping performance.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-Optiplex-7010-3rd-Generation-i5-Windows-10-Computer-with-8GB-RAM/123746520472