So, a question (or 20) on World of Warcraft

Radium_Angel

So a friend of mine keeps trying to get me to play WoW with her.

Thing is, I don't like playing online games with other people (for a multitude of reasons which are not relevant to this topic) but the WoW world seems enticing.

So I understand I *could* make my own private me-only server, but if I do this, what would I be missing out (aside from playing with other people)

In addition, anyone have a current (say, within the past year or so) tutorial on how to make a private me-only WoW server? The ones I"ve seen are all years (or worse) out of date...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

Thing is, I don't like playing online games with other people (for a multitude of reasons which are not relevant to this topic) but the WoW world seems enticing.

So I understand I *could* make my own private me-only server, but if I do this, what would I be missing out (aside from playing with other people)

In addition, anyone have a current (say, within the past year or so) tutorial on how to make a private me-only WoW server? The ones I"ve seen are all years (or worse) out of date...

You could always sign up for the starter edition to try out the game while staying anonymous (if that's your worry). I feel like the point of WoW is wasted if you just have NPCs on a private server, it would lack the ecosystem that is WoW.

dont care for wow...but here's some help 

There is no enemy. The foe on the battlefield is merely the manifestation of that which we must overcome. The doubt, and fear, and despair. Every battle is fought within. Conquer the battlefield that lies inside you, and the enemy disappears like the illusion it is.

7 minutes ago, CCPSSteve said:

staying anonymous

I don't like playing with other people because of the general tendency of people to be jerks online, and I've had my fill of that with Diablo 1's battle.net servers way back when 

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Aren't private servers against WOW's terms of service and not allowed on this forum?

2 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Making a pserver for yourself is literally a waste of time, and it'll be riddled with bugs if you want an "up to date" version. You're much better off playing any other single-player RPG game at that point. Well, the current version of World of Warcraft is more a single-player game than multi, so you're in luck. You don't need to communicate with people to get decent items.

Playing on a private server by yourself is rather pointless. You'll only ever be able to quest. And if that's all you're interested in you can do the same thing on live servers without having to play with anyone else. 

i5-4670K ~ RX 470 ~ Z87MX-D3H ~ MX300 525GB ~ CM Hyper 212+ ~ 12GB 1600MHz Ram ~ EarthWatts 650 ~ NZXT GAMMA ~ WD Blue 250GB

19 minutes ago, plsno said:

Playing on a private server by yourself is rather pointless. You'll only ever be able to quest. And if that's all you're interested in you can do the same thing on live servers without having to play with anyone else. 

What other options are there on a live server? I thought fetch-quests were all there was to WoW?

On 5/8/2019 at 12:54 PM, Radium_Angel said:

90% of the code. 

On 5/8/2019 at 12:54 PM, Radium_Angel said:

Just play on an existing private server for free. You can invite her to a “party” and you two can basically play by yourselves in your group. 

Other players can’t really mess with you. MAYBE the boss you are trying to kill was recently killed and you just have to wait a minute or 2 for it to respawn . 

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I wanted to comment on this because I'm very passionate about WoW and also very solo-minded.

Let me tell you, WoW now is not in a good place. The current patch is just plain horrible. But the good news is, Classic WoW will release very soon. and WoW can be played very solo-minded. You won't get as far alone, but that's not a big problem. I personally like to make money reselling items in the auction house and just questing it up for interesting items and soloing bosses on my Mage or Hunter. 

If you'd like a more broad answer feel free to ask. Simple advice: Just lay back, there are no ''must do's'' in WoW Classic. This is partially why the game is so great! Just sit back and enjoy. 

PS: https://www.wowclassiccountdown.com/

5 hours ago, Robin_Code said:

Hello,

I wanted to comment on this because I'm very passionate about WoW and also very solo-minded.

Let me tell you, WoW now is not in a good place. The current patch is just plain horrible. But the good news is, Classic WoW will release very soon. and WoW can be played very solo-minded. You won't get as far alone, but that's not a big problem. I personally like to make money reselling items in the auction house and just questing it up for interesting items and soloing bosses on my Mage or Hunter. 

If you'd like a more broad answer feel free to ask. Simple advice: Just lay back, there are no ''must do's'' in WoW Classic. This is partially why the game is so great! Just sit back and enjoy. 

PS: https://www.wowclassiccountdown.com/

Actually, I do have a question. I downloaded the steam demo (or the free to play up to level 20) and created a character, a werewolf in this case. 

So far, so good, but the game then dropped in into the middle of a small city, as a human fighting a werewolf attack.

What happened? Where is my werewolf and why could I not leave the town?

4 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Actually, I do have a question. I downloaded the steam demo (or the free to play up to level 20) and created a character, a werewolf in this case. 

So far, so good, but the game then dropped in into the middle of a small city, as a human fighting a werewolf attack.

What happened? Where is my werewolf and why could I not leave the town?

So you made a Worgen, and you're stuck in Gilneas? (The starting zone).

You need to complete all the quests... A Worgen starts as a human and can switch into a human whenever pleased :)

So you might have a human as a character now. Things will be more clear when you finished all the starting quests.

2 hours ago, Robin_Code said:

So you made a Worgen, and you're stuck in Gilneas? (The starting zone).

You need to complete all the quests... A Worgen starts as a human and can switch into a human whenever pleased :)

So you might have a human as a character now. Things will be more clear when you finished all the starting quests.

Gotcha.

Not what I had in mind for WoW (I dislike fetch quests) but now I know.

I was hoping I could just wander around the world and do what interested me.

You could just follow the single player quests.  WoW doesn't really force content on you.  Though mmo fetch quests aren't really all that exciting.  You'll get better gear from the multiplayer content though (dungeons and raids).