BOINC Pentathlon 2019 Contest

jakkuh_t

Hey everyone! ?

I'm here to talk to y'all about BOINC. I'm sure many of you heard about or participated in our contest last year for Folding, which is another awesome way to help push forward medical science. This time around, it's using a platform called BOINC, which supports many different scientific ventures!

With your gaming PC, laptop, server, or really any computer, you can donate processing power from your CPU or GPU when you're not using them to help run calculations on a vast number of distributed computation projects. This massive shared computational power can help researchers learn more about these diseases in an effort to better treat them, or how numbers really work, and it can make a HUGE difference in the fight to conquer them. 

Using BOINC, a simple software you can run on your PC, you can automagically use your processing power when idling (or full time if you desire) for the previously mentioned calculations. 

In exchange for your valiant processing effort, we're going to give away a PC game (up to $100 per), to 3 lucky BOINCers, in support of the cause.

CONTEST ENTRY FORM: https://forms.gle/DEnxDgWB4k2xkhw88

Check out the official Pentathlon 2019 thread for more information, and the quick start guide below for how to easily participate.

Contest entries will be handled by a Google form, and will be based on your BOINC activity in the World Community Grid project (specifically OpenZIKA).

I will post the contest form Monday, May 13, 2019 at noon PST. 

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

Quick Start Guide

This involves downloading BOINC, selecting the "World Community Grid" project, and then selecting the sub-project "OpenZIKA".

1. Download + Install BOINC (https://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php

2. Open BOINC and click "Add Project"

3. Select the "World Community Grid" project, and then click on their website url. (https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/discover.action)

4. On their Website, click "Join Now" at the top left or right depending. Enter your information and Register.

5. Once presented with the Sub project selection, choose "OpenZIKA" and click next. It will download a program, but you don't need it.

6. Go back to the BOINC app and click "Next >". Login with the World Community Grid account that you just signed up for.

Your BOINC app will now benchmark your system, and then start running. 

BUT, you still need to set your team to the LTT forum one.

7. Navigate to the team selection page, and login if you aren't already (https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ms/team/viewMyTeam.do)

8. Type in "LinusTechTips" in the "Contains:" field.

9. Click on the "LinusTechTips_Team" result that shows up. Once the page loads click "Join Team".

You will now be BOINCing for the LTT team :D

This is the easiest way to help out the cause, but there are more beneficial / advanced ways to do so if you're interested. Refer to the OP for more information.

If you're in need of help feel free to contact @Ben Quigley

widget.png?style=banner2

Boinc is, quite literally, broken.

I'd be happy to participate in the Pentathlon, but the fact that I ran Boinc on my system for several weeks, having to endure the heat coming from it, and then simply lost my account (and all of its points) for no obvious reason really discourages me from participating.

But good luck to everyone who's taking part in the Pentathlon!

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

26 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

I'd be happy to participate in the Pentathlon, but the fact that I ran Boinc on my system for several weeks, having to endure the heat coming from it, and then simply lost my account (and all of its points) for no obvious reason really discourages me from participating.

Heat is a byproduct of the software doing work on the CPU or GPU. It would be difficult to lose points or account. If you go to whatever project you were running then web site, chances are if you log in your points will still be there, and you can re-attach it to the client. I haven't ever encountered it myself, but corruption on the client could appear to make things disappear, but that wont affect what's on the project servers.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

3 minutes ago, porina said:

Heat is a byproduct of the software doing work on the CPU or GPU.

Yes indeed.

8 minutes ago, porina said:

t would be difficult to lose points or account. If you go to whatever project you were running then web site, chances are if you log in your points will still be there, and you can re-attach it to the client. I haven't ever encountered it myself, but corruption on the client could appear to make things disappear, but that wont affect what's on the project servers.

122.png.c433ef797cad1bf5c6c946c2c8790f1d.png 

When I run Boinc, the points I earn show on my profile (when I'm logged in), but they don't show on boincstats.com. You can tell because if you click on the Boinc badge beneath my profile, a page opens up that says "User ID doesn't exist in BOINC combined or doesn't have any credit."

I'm sure there's some way to make my points show up (when not logged in), but honestly I'm not ready to go through the troubles of trying to fix my account because frankly, I just don't care.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

5 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

When I run Boinc, the points I earn show on my profile (when I'm logged in), but they don't show on boincstats.com. You can tell because if you click on the Boinc badge beneath my profile, a page opens up that says "User ID doesn't exist in BOINC combined or doesn't have any credit."

If you click on my boinc badge, I have exactly the same error. It is probably some problem with the link between boinc projects and boincstats website, not a boinc problem in itself. If I search for my ID on boincstats I can see myself again, so the identifier has changed for whatever reason.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Does this project use GPU like FAH does? OpenZika is only using my CPU for now, and I want to make sure I have it set up right.

CPU: Intel i9 9900K
CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i Pro
MB: MSI MEG Z390 ACE
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance RGB 3000 Mhz
GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC Ultra
SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 1TB
HDD: WD Black 6TB
Case: Corsair Crystal 570X RGB
PSU: Corsair AX860i

Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Chroma Stealth

Mouse: Razer Mamba

Headset: SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

14 minutes ago, Conman1700 said:

Does this project use GPU like FAH does? OpenZika is only using my CPU for now, and I want to make sure I have it set up right.

i saw that also, so you said its gonna use Spare GPU but OpenZika seems to only use CPU becues thers no projects whit GPU it says

30 minutes ago, Deluxefob said:

i saw that also, so you said its gonna use Spare GPU but OpenZika seems to only use CPU becues thers no projects whit GPU it says

45 minutes ago, Conman1700 said:

There is a GPU project coming up, Einstein@home. 

But ZIKA is only CPU based.

Come over to the actual event thread to ask for more details.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

15 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

There is a GPU project coming up, Einstein@home. 

But ZIKA is only CPU based.

Come over to the actual event thread to ask for more details.

So sorry! Totally missed that! Thanks for the info. I'll run Boinc and FAH on GPU together, I guess.

CPU: Intel i9 9900K
CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i Pro
MB: MSI MEG Z390 ACE
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance RGB 3000 Mhz
GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC Ultra
SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 1TB
HDD: WD Black 6TB
Case: Corsair Crystal 570X RGB
PSU: Corsair AX860i

Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Chroma Stealth

Mouse: Razer Mamba

Headset: SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Just now, Conman1700 said:

So sorry! Totally missed that! Thanks for the info. I'll run Boinc and FAH on GPU together, I guess.

No worries, Einstein will be active in a few days, I will announce it over in the main thread so please do follow us over there.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

If anyone of you will like to help please can you run yoyo@home. Just don't switch away from ZIKA if you have joined already.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Can someone help me, I have Bonic manager downloaded and was fine all day yesterday but today it doesn't work. I am unable to add any type of project. Every time I attempt to it gives me a Bonic Manager Connection Error. Says the password I provided is incorrect. If someone would help me i'd be grateful. 

EDIT: I got it fixed!

9 minutes ago, LordofIrons said:

Can someone help me, I have Bonic manager downloaded and was fine all day yesterday but today it doesn't work. I am unable to add any type of project. Every time I attempt to it gives me a Bonic Manager Connection Error. Says the password I provided is incorrect. If someone would help me i'd be grateful. 

Better off asking in the event thread. 

Edit: Oh, you got it!

I'm looking forward to seeing what the event badges look like. the F@H event badges look amazing.

@Whiskers doesn't seem to be around anymore. Will another Admin or Mod be taking care of the badges this time around.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

On 5/11/2019 at 7:46 AM, Antistatic12 said:

I'm looking forward to seeing what the event badges look like. the F@H event badges look amazing.

@Whiskers doesn't seem to be around anymore. Will another Admin or Mod be taking care of the badges this time around.

There are no event badges for the pentathlon 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

On 5/9/2019 at 9:15 PM, Den-Fi.com said:

Better off asking in the event thread. 

Edit: Oh, you got it!

yep turns out I just had to go to File>Select Computer>Select my desktop as the host name.

Contest entry form has been posted.

widget.png?style=banner2

Sorry, what do we do for the WCG Profile field? The provided example link for your profile returns an error, and I'm seeing there are issues with BOINC stats reporting with stats sites.

Edit: Nevermind, did two minutes of reading and found out that you need to go into your profile settings on the WCG website, and enable data sharing or your stats will not be visible on the WCG site OR boincstats.

I think this will solve the problem for people earlier in the thread having trouble with boincstats.
https://boincstats.com/en/forum/8/12112

You been Pork'd.

I'm really glad I'm able to help out with this. I was big on F@H back in the PS3 days but now I have so many more resources available to me. I've had my gaming pc and my server running this since it started!

Congrats to everyone.

LTT got to 10th place overall.

LTT10thplace.thumb.PNG.e91b1348e4b9f9b12e57c9e939d69caa.PNG

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Oh it's over yet?! I didn't undertand the BOINC contest then… Or did I? ?
Maybe next time, say something like "from May 7h to 19th, just burn your CPU and GPU for the causes! (and the contest)"

And looking at the scores, we should calculate more on Einstein@home, we are below 50% scoring ?

9 minutes ago, Mesterial said:

Oh it's over yet?! I didn't undertand the BOINC contest then… Or did I? ?
Maybe next time, say something like "from May 7h to 19th, just burn your CPU and GPU for the causes! (and the contest)"

And looking at the scores, we should calculate more on Einstein@home, we are below 50% scoring ?

The event is now done.

The dates for the event are listed in the main event thread.

If you wish to join in next year, I can add you to a list I am doing up for folks that would like to be messaged as a heads up for next year's Pent.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU