Did older Samsung devices ruin the "normie" reputation of Android as a whole.

8 hours ago, Giganthrax said:

I live in Europe, and 99% of the people are using android. iPhone is pretty much just a status symbol.

You are pretty good at inventing random numbers that don't have a base in reality.

I think the central problem for Android was and is the shit software support. iPhones are pretty expensive up front, but when you consider how long the software support is and that moste of the devices actually remain snappy for a long time (I would only classify the iPhone 5S as slow), the cost aren't that much higher.

Most people don't want to bother to buy a phone very other year and with an iPhone you get a packade that will last you for at least 4 years. Samsung didn't even use to support their flagships for more than 2-3 years with software updates despite being close in price to iPhones.

Also Apple keeping all the carrier bloat away from iOS turned out to be a great decision.

Granted, Android has gotten a lot better with software support in recent years. The Nokia devices with garantued 2 years of OS updates and 3 years of security in the 200-300€ range are competetive options. Still, it will take quite some time until the general public impression changes.

For me it was non existant software support that made me switch from a budget Android phone to an iPhone. Well, you might say that comparison is unfair due to the price difference and it is, but the problem was that even flagship Android phones did not garantue long software support. Even the Google devices are just 3 years if I am not mistaken and I honestly did not like the design.

had s2 / s3 lte/ note 2 / s6 edge / note5 / s7edge for whole family

It is only laggy when you dont know how to optimize the phone, only complain is the little laggy keyboard.

Since s3, it has every core feature (wireless charge / quad core/ led/ >1gb ram/ sd card/ lte etc ) brought up and still very relevant, it changes the whole industry.

no one really cares about android updates, and moved to custom roms directly.

Nah, they haven't killed the reputation.  Android still sells ridiculously well.  If someone buys a Pixel, let em, if they buy a Samsung, let em, if they buy an iPhone, let em.

Personally, I just prefer iOS, but I will and have happily switched back and forth multiple times.  At the end of the day though, I don't care about customization, I don't care if it's open source, and I don't care if I can upload a custom rom.

If I can afford any phone on the market currently, I'm going to get the one I like the most.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

I think the main problem is perception and the media. A lot of tech media is based in North America where a disproportionate amount of the mobile phone market is taken up by the iPhone compared with the rest of the world. I go to a very international university for its size where we have a lot of Americans, a lot of Brits (being in Scotland) and a lot of other international students. 

What I see day to day is a lot of iPhones but I do notice that a lot of iPhone users are Americans. It's rare to see an American using an android device whereas sitting in the library as I am now I see a lot of android devices next to non Americans. Almost all my British friends (who are not all techy by any means) have android phones because of everything from price to personal preference.

Despite this there's this perception that the iPhone sells so much better than android devices and I think it comes from the fact that a lot of the world's major celebrities and influencers are Americans where Apple sells a lot more devices.

|| CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (@3.9GHz) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus || Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition || GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB C16 (@2933MHz) || SSD: SanDisk 128GB || HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Toshiba 2TB, Transcend 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Case: Fractal Design Focus G || Monitor: 2x AOC 23” I2369VM IPS Full HD, Samsung 32" LED TV Monitor || Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless || Keyboard: Cooler Master MK750 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) || Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers || Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT / Samsung Galaxy Buds ||

I started off with Android phones and tablets. By 2015 I was so fed up with how utterly crap they were I reluctantly switched to Apple, and paid a huge cost for it too as my wife switched as well.

After only eating beans on toast (British) for about 6 months we finally could afford food again.

The user experience was night and day back then, Apple was the light to the Android murky UI and slow devices. 

I wouldn't touch Android now, even if I don’t have life savings anymore.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

15 hours ago, KING OF THE DIRTY DANS said:

(iPhone users, that just buy whatever is new)

that is a very bold claim

She/Her

5 hours ago, PacketMan said:

-snip-

I made the switch to iOS for the same reason as your father. I simply get more done with iOS and its gesture based navigation than OneUI on my old Note 8.

Writing this on my Early 2014 Macbook Air. Integration between iOS and macOS is only rivaled by what could have been with Windows Mobile and Windows. I have an XS Max, as said above, and it is a beautiful phone to interact with and look at.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

23 hours ago, Jurrunio said:

water-resistant phone, dies when it fell into a toilet.

No one should be using their phone at the toilet, unless you are willing to wash it with your hands (I hope you at least do the second part)

21 minutes ago, iKingRPG said:

No one should be using their phone at the toilet, unless you are willing to wash it with your hands (I hope you at least do the second part)

You wont want to touch my phone if that's the case :D

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

1 hour ago, PacketMan said:

Yep, the XS Max is an amazing phone BUT I do think that it's maybe too big imo, because with the XS you get a bigger screen than the old iPhone Plus in a smaller format, it's the perfect size

And yeah, integration is wonderful (at least for my father's use)

He has the money, why can't he get the phone if he really likes it? I've read a lot of hate towards iPhone people because of the price and a few mistakes Apple made with other products, I think some people can't stand that Apple really does nice things, I really hate Samsung and I still aknowledge that their S7, S8, S9 (and well, S10 but Samsung fanboys criticizing the notch and then claiming that the hole in the top right is an amazing idea...) are/were in the Top 3

Device size is relative to the size of your hands. That's why baby-hands Linus always says that Phablets are too big (Pixel 3 XL, XS Max, Note series, so on). I personally have above average sized hands, and would love a device the size of the 6S+ (largest phone Apple has ever made iirc) with the technology of the XS max in it. Would have allowed for an even larger battery, and given iOS' superior battery management, it would make the big iPhone experience even better.

Samsung probably makes some of the best android devices out there, only competitors I can think of off of the top of my head are Huawei and Xaomi. I will always miss some facets of Android that are better, like multi-window multitasking (even though I used it very rarely. It was nice when I did). But overall, I think iOS is better for the same reason I use a MacBook for everything but gaming.

Yes, Apple is da big evil corporation for locking down their software to only their devices, and they can very easily be made to see a bad guy because of it, but you know what that brings to the table? With greater control of the hardware the OS will see comes a better experience as the OS doesn't have to be ready to compensate for extraordinarily old or future hardware that don't exist at the time of its making.

What does Apple do when they are about to launch a new device or hardware refresh? Simply push an update that adds support for those devices a few days before launch. When the devices boot up for the first time they will install the latest update and be perfectly fine.

In contrast, to my knowledge, Windows 10 on ARM still hasn't officially launched on the software side.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

On 5/7/2019 at 4:14 PM, KING OF THE DIRTY DANS said:

Is it just me, or is the reputation of "Android sucks" to far ingrained into people now?

(I use Android btw)

I just switched from Android to iOS. Got me the iPhone XR, my first Apple Product ever. WHY? Well firstly I dont like Samsung phones, Ive had issues in the past, my sister and mom had issues with their devices as well. Android as a whole is a fragmented mess because each phone makers does their own special sauce to Android. iOS is iOS, no bull shit and I dont have to wait for the carrier to push the updates, Apple does it themselves. About every Android device I have ever used lasted maybe 2 years. I know people who have had the same Apple device for like 5 years. So......... Take that how you take that. Not saying Android is crap, I think its an excellent OS, just I think Google needs to take the rains so to speak and try to fix the fragmented mess it has become. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 5/8/2019 at 3:43 PM, Jurrunio said:

You wont want to touch my phone if that's the case :D

What could be so important that you can't wait a few minutes?

On 5/8/2019 at 4:39 PM, Donut417 said:

Google needs to take the rains so to speak and try to fix the fragmented mess it has become.

If Google wasn't busy fucking Android up to begin with, it wouldn't be fragmented as much as it is.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

4 hours ago, Drak3 said:

If Google wasn't busy fucking Android up to begin with, it wouldn't be fragmented as much as it is.

I really enjoyed Android up until around 5. Didn’t really know what the changes were after that and didn’t really care. Don’t even know what sort of feature you can possibly add

On 5/8/2019 at 8:58 PM, NeuesTestament said:

I think the central problem for Android was and is the shit software support. iPhones are pretty expensive up front, but when you consider how long the software support is and that moste of the devices actually remain snappy for a long time (I would only classify the iPhone 5S as slow), the cost aren't that much higher.

Most people don't want to bother to buy a phone very other year and with an iPhone you get a packade that will last you for at least 4 years. Samsung didn't even use to support their flagships for more than 2-3 years with software updates despite being close in price to iPhones.

Also Apple keeping all the carrier bloat away from iOS turned out to be a great decision.

Granted, Android has gotten a lot better with software support in recent years. The Nokia devices with garantued 2 years of OS updates and 3 years of security in the 200-300€ range are competetive options. Still, it will take quite some time until the general public impression changes.

For me it was non existant software support that made me switch from a budget Android phone to an iPhone. Well, you might say that comparison is unfair due to the price difference and it is, but the problem was that even flagship Android phones did not garantue long software support. Even the Google devices are just 3 years if I am not mistaken and I honestly did not like the design.

Honestly people who actually have an iPhone vs Android or Mac vs PC vs Linux need to get over themselves. All are great devices, all work great. Spend your own hard earned money on what u want in life. Don’t tell others what’s right. You’ll always be wrong.

I don't think people choose Ios or Android these days (The techies do) Most consumers look at pricing and brand. So they own a Samsung Or Apple phone not Ios or Android.

I always thought and still think that owning a Samsung device makes you a "normie", it's one of the biggest android brands there are. If you're poor and can't afford an iPhone, you'll go with android, and what brand comes first to mind? Samsung of course. They have the best flagship models, they have good enough budget options, they've got it all.

My stuff:

Spoiler

CPU :  Intel i5 8400 | GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3600MHz

Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO SE | Keyboard : Mountain Everest Max w/ Cherry MX Brown

Headset : Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro 250Ω w/ AT2020USB+

Monitor : Acer XF240H @  144Hz

On 5/8/2019 at 2:53 AM, Atmos said:

i take GREAT issue with that statement. There are people out there who buy bmw and mercedes as a status symbol, but having actually driven some of the nicer cars from them, there's a reason people like the cars despite the reliability and cost of repair issues. they drive excellent, absolutely excellent. They actually have status because the cars work and drive really freaking well, and offer tech and luxury (albeit at a price) that others dont or cant.

Apple products on the other hand don't offer anything that others dont. They have a dumbed down UI with fewer functions, locked down software, and cater to design above everything else, to the detriment of performance and features. Macbooks are just actual hot garbage, and the only thing that even can compete, the iphone, is so crazily overpriced its insane. Apple is purely a status symbol, whereas audi, bmw, mercedes, all actually offer things and compelling features others dont.

Yeah, no. Had few Audis in my family, Passats, Skodas, WV mostly, have driven C class Mercs and 3 series BMW, and in 5 series. Some of them were splendid to drive, you can go 220 km/h and think you're going 160. Marvelous. However, they don't offer anything special over, let's say new Volvos or Mazda 6 for instance. So yeah, they mainly are status symbols, at least in Europe. You could've got more stability and comfort (not quality) in Citroen C6 for years, which was tested. Obviously, doesn't apply for all models. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own.