Project for Gaming over external storage

Go to solution Solved by Mira Yurizaki,

Will it work? Absolutely as long as you can map the networked storage into something native to the OS that the application understands. Basically for Windows, this means you just need to map it to a drive letter using the Map Network Drive function. Linux and the like is probably similar: just make it so the network path can be resolved like a local path.

Also it is possible to play games even over WiFi (I've done this before). My test game was GTAV, and it worked perfectly fine on 802.11ac. It was still technically playable on 802.11n, but the world wasn't exactly there. So you could probably still play over 802.11n assuming the game doesn't stream assets in. Obviously though, you should play over a hardline for maximum performance/reliability.

Im planning on moving all of my big games and heavy-duty files somewhere else. What i have in mind is a 4x 1tb SSD network storage solution. But i would like to put these SSD's in RAID 0. I dont know if thats possible or not, im assuming i would need a host computer for the storage system. But does anyone have any recommendations of what SSD's to get and if this whole gaming over the network instead of installing it on my pc thing would work? I don't care about drive reliability btw. If one of the SSD's fails ill just replace it and redownload everything overnight lol.

So to sum it up, is it possible to play games from network storage? If so, how would I go about creating a system for it?

Will it work? Absolutely as long as you can map the networked storage into something native to the OS that the application understands. Basically for Windows, this means you just need to map it to a drive letter using the Map Network Drive function. Linux and the like is probably similar: just make it so the network path can be resolved like a local path.

Also it is possible to play games even over WiFi (I've done this before). My test game was GTAV, and it worked perfectly fine on 802.11ac. It was still technically playable on 802.11n, but the world wasn't exactly there. So you could probably still play over 802.11n assuming the game doesn't stream assets in. Obviously though, you should play over a hardline for maximum performance/reliability.

4 minutes ago, xannax159 said:

So to sum it up, is it possible to play games from network storage?

Hope you have a fast network.

Buy a NAS, shove everything there (assuming the games will even install on a network drive, some will, some won't) and have a solid wired pip, because the lag is gonna get ya.

And RAID 0 means you drop one drive, you lose *everything*, saved games, all of it. Fair warning.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Just now, Mira Yurizaki said:

That's awesome to hear, will be using cat 7 ethernet, however. Any recommendations on what specs the server or NAS whatever it is should have?

2 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

I was using a QNAP TS-251, if that helps give you some baseline

I see, but wouldn't i be able to make my own with a basic computer with a good network card and a raid controller?

7 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Hope you have a fast network.

Buy a NAS, shove everything there (assuming the games will even install on a network drive, some will, some won't) and have a solid wired pip, because the lag is gonna get ya.

And RAID 0 means you drop one drive, you lose *everything*, saved games, all of it. Fair warning.

Dont worry about the network got gigabit and if its an issue ill throw in a card and plug it directly in for 10g. I mainly want to move it so i dont take up so many gosh darn PCIe lanes on my main rig. Also a NAS is a nogo.