Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Posted · Original PosterOP

So i am 14 and i WANT to focus in pc builds and repair/replace maybe someone knows what should i start learning is it worth it and what jobs are there I Love everything about pc's 

Eh... you're 14 years old, just focus on normal school for now and on the side learn everything about PCs through YouTube and by reading as many threads as your can on forums like this, but don't be disappointed if you come to the realization that putting PCs together hardly ever results into a profession.

Workstation Rig:
CPU:  Intel Core i9 9900K @4.7ghz  |~| Cooling: Noctua NH-U12P |~|  MOBO: Asus Z390M ROG Maximus XI GENE |~| RAM: 32gb 3200mhz CL16 G.Skill Trident Z RGB |~| GPU: nVidia TITAN V  |~| PSU: Corsair RM850X 80Plus Gold |~| Boot: WD Black M.2 2280 500GB NVMe |~| Storage: 2X4TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Iron Wolf + 2X2TB SSD SanDisk Ultra |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: ASUS ROG Swift PG348Q 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
Personal Use Rig:
CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 @4.45ghz |~| Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212X |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z370M D3H mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition GTX 1080 Ti |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk SSD Plus G26 480gb |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display Setup: Acer X34 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
3 minutes ago, Lukass said:

So i am 14 and i WANT to focus in pc builds and repair/replace maybe someone knows what should i start learning is it worth it and what jobs are there I Love everything about pc's 

TBH I don't have a lot of experience, but I'd prob start off at microcenter (if it's close to you.) you could work at the knowledge bar and help people build their computers.

check this if you want to see the salary https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Employer=Micro_Center_Inc./Hourly_Rate

Start with this :D

It's a playlist with all the tech quickie episodes. Gives a general understanding of a lot of stuff.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 minutes ago, Duckster said:

TBH I don't have a lot of experience, but I'd prob start off at microcenter (if it's close to you.) you could work at the knowledge bar and help people build their computers.

check this if you want to see the salary https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Employer=Micro_Center_Inc./Hourly_Rate

Microcenter is a US based retailer only... His location is Lithuania.. so I doubt he has one within 3,000 miles of him... 

PSU Tier List Thread

"White Ice"

Ryzen 1800x @ 4.0ghz | Asus Crosshair VI Hero | EVGA RTX 2080ti Black | Flare X 14-14-14-34 3200mhz 32gb | Full Custom Water Cooling Loop | 1tb Samsung 970 Evo

Samsung 850 evo 250gb | 2x 3tb Seagate Drive | Fractal Design Meshify S2 |  EVGA G2 750w PSU | 3x Corsair ML140 Pro White LED case fans | 3x Corsair ML120 Pro White LED Case Fans 

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Microcenter is a US based retailer only... His location is Lithuania.. so I doubt he has one within 3,000 miles of him... 

O, ok sooory

4 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

Eh... you're 14 years old, just focus on normal school for now and on the side learn everything about PCs through YouTube and by reading as many threads as your can on forums like this, but don't be disappointed if you come to the realization that putting PCs together hardly ever results into a profession.

Tbh yeah, i'd say start during college/around the same area.

maybe just give advice on PC building until you gain a reputation for being a PC nerd. Then you can try to build PCs for people. It's quite a long shot, but it could work. Just don't expect to make a living off that though

It's a good job for a college student, being paid to fix computers/make them has a salary of around 14 dollars average.

One warning - traditional IT jobs (defined as setting up computer networks, helping individuals with tech issues, building computers, etc.) WILL be going away. A lot of the infrastructure is already built out and a lot is moving to the cloud. Building/fixing computers isn't what it used to be - once upon a time a "good enough for business use" computer cost $5000, now it's more like $300 and it's probably better just to buy a new computer than to pay someone $100 to fix something. Consider learning to do some cloud based stuff (so AWS, Azure, Google Cloud, etc.)

This guy, NetworkChuck, has a lot of decent insights that I think he spells out well. He is biased. He likes his career and like most people who like their careers they overstate the importance and value of what they're doing. 
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9x0AN7BWHpCDHSm9NiJFJQ

Another guy, who is a bit more computer-sciency would be TechLead (made a lot of his own apps, did some start ups, worked at Google, currently at Facebook)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4xKdmAXFh4ACyhpiQ_3qBw

And another would be Joma (Ex-Facebook Product analyst with a Computer Science background)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV0qA-eDDICsRR9rPcnG7tw

Some things I would consider doing if I were you - learn the content associate with Comptia's A+ certification. 

You can also learn a lot of stuff for free or cheap online, google has an entire section with some of their own IT learnings. I'm not endorsing their certs, I will say however that continuous learning is good. - https://grow.google/

10 hours ago, Lukass said:

If you want to learn how to repair or fix PCs, start with your own. Get a little risky, break your machine, then figure out how to fix it. Or take it apart and put it back together. Reinstall Windows. Install another OS. There's plenty you can do now to build up a base set of skills.