Over a 150 Riot Games Employees Stage Walkout Over Forced Arbitration & Sexist Culture

de7eagkcpswzbl3yqrwg.jpg.65c3deeab4dc1a20f70df3e866b8fa84.jpg

The walkout is intended to protest Riot's handling of lawsuits filed over sexism at the studio. Kotaku reports that employees at League of Legends developer Riot Games orchestrated a walkout this afternoon to protest the company's practice of forcing employee lawsuits into private arbitration, as well as what they consider an insufficient response to the problems which led to those lawsuits. The lawsuits came in the wake of last year's in-depth Kotaku report which exposed pervasive sexism at the studio.

Not all employees are going to take part in the walkout: One organizer told the site that they expect roughly 100 employees will go, a small fraction of the studio's estimated 2,500 employees worldwide. But it's still a significant number, and could encourage more employees (and those at other studios) to take part in future actions if their complaints go unresolved.

In the months since Kotaku’s investigation uncovering endemic sexism at Riot Games, five current or former employees sued the company, in part, for violating California’s Equal Pay Act. Riot filed a motion to force two of those current employees into arbitration, an extralegal forum where a suit does not go in front of a jury. Giving a speech, one current Riot employee announced she was quitting in two weeks. “I’m quitting because I don’t want to see people who were protected by people in high places in Riot,” the employee said. Signs at the protest read, “It shouldn't take all this to do the right thing,” “Be the company you say you are,” and “Silence one of us, you silence us all.”

Source 1: https://www.pcgamer.com/riot-games-employees-are-expected-to-walk-out-today/

Source 2: https://kotaku.com/over-150-riot-employees-walk-out-to-protest-forced-arbi-1834566198

Apparently, this protest seems to be the first labor-related walkout for a studio of Riot's size. Allegedly, if Riot management does not make any sort of commitment on forced arbitration by the 16th of May; those involved will take further action. Specifics of such action were not divulged, however, Kotaku was told “we do have plans, and we do have days that we’re planning, and we do have commitments that we have responses for.” 

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

men are jerks , more at 11

and women are liars.

Neither of these hold true without gross misuse and generalizing.

Arbitration is a double-edged sword. It can be a great thing, but can also be very easily abused. I don't know enough on the subject to make comment either way, I don't have the time to invest into it. I do have to take a moment for pause though, as i'm fairly certain that if they become too much of a burden for Riot, it wouldn't take but a few minutes to flood their HR with new applicants for these positions.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

I'm not touching this one with a 20ft pole...

Without knowing the full details, its hard to say whether these complaints are actually breaches of law or just some people construing statistics to say something that isn't true.

There's just too much agenda and opinion in this sort of topic.

What exactly happened at Riot Games which caused this? What were the allegations?

4 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

What exactly happened at Riot Games which caused this? What were the allegations?

There was the article from last year, but this seems more about other issues rather than that. Odds are this is really just about money and everything else is noise.

Riot is a shit company. I haven't heard anything good pretty much ever. Forced arbitration is also a shit practice.

Looks at pictures.
Sees Los Angeles, CA.
Outrage Culture?

Kotaku investigating something is honestly the biggest joke I think I have ever seen.

3 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

There was the article from last year, but this seems more about other issues rather than that. Odds are this is really just about money and everything else is noise.

4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

It looks like at least one of the big reasons appears to be how Riot has handled Sexual assault allegations or lack of properly handling it.

Then again the CEO doesn't give me good vibes and strikes me as possibly immature.

image.png.eac7b08d3f49d332e9bacee7c6c20929.png

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Considering how it is part of popular culture nowadays to cry about "sexism", I will remain skeptical until I see real proof for these allegations.

Forcing people into arbitration, while I am not a fan of it personally, is a pretty standard policy for bigger companies in that field.

The logic of people nowadays: Why would you fix your own sh*t when you can play the victim card and demand others to fix it for you ;)

Also, do not immediately believe any accusations of this sort, you need to prove someone to be guilty to be able to say that they actually are guilty. A great example of this was the fairly recent Brett Kavanaugh controversy in the US.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

I'm sorry, but why does society insist that men are always harmful and women can do no wrong unless they have political beliefs that aren't accepted by most media?

Both genders are equally fucked up in their own ways. There's no ifs, ands or buts about that. Neither gender is perfect, nothing's perfect. We're humans, not robots with intricately designed everythings so we don't fuck up.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 hour ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I'm sorry, but why does society insist that men are always harmful and women can do no wrong unless they have political beliefs that aren't accepted by most media?

Both genders are equally fucked up in their own ways. There's no ifs, ands or buts about that. Neither gender is perfect, nothing's perfect. We're humans, not robots with intricately designed everythings so we don't fuck up.

I see you welcome the coming of our perfect computing overlords that can do no wrong!

On 5/7/2019 at 12:26 PM, Dan Castellaneta said:

But it doesn't.  The issue is not "all men bad," it's that there are serious problems where toxic behavior among men is tolerated and the women they target are frequently discouraged from taking action (say, through forced arbitration that typically favors the company over the complainant).

We also have to get away from this simplistic notion that things are either perfectly equal or perfectly inequal.  Sexual assaults are perpetrated by people of all genders, for example, but it's demonstrable that male-against-female sexual assault is much more commonplace than the reverse.  Pretending that there isn't a disproportionate problem can sometimes be as bad as refusing to address a problem in the first place.

12 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

A great example of this

Johnny Depp and Amber Herd

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

3 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Johnny Depp and Amber Heard

I'm not familiar with the case, what happened there?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

12 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

I'm not familiar with the case, what happened there?

Taken from Reddit:

z2b0c4p53ul21.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=d820f3c7a25d0f902923bf1414a300ed8b6cf07b

He is suing her for $50M, he says she sued him to advance her career, she is asking the judge to drop the case. 

Everyone attacked him based on allegations, he had to submit 87 videos proving his innocence. 

2 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

He is suing her for $50M

Good, she should be locked up.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

3 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Good, she should be locked up.

Every person, be it a male or a female, should be sued for the same sentence as the alleged perpetrator was in case it was a false allegation. If you are ready to destroy someones life you better be ready to carry the consequence. 

As a white, good looking, well built male - I fear for every interaction I have with every person who could claim something that is not true - because in the Court of Social Law I will lose based just on being...a white, good looking well built male. 

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

2 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

He is suing her for $50M, he says she sued him to advance her carrer, she is asking the judge to drop the case. 

Well, that's precisely what I meant in my original comment - it's easy to destroy someone's reputation and career, it's harder to provide any legitimate proof to back claims like that.

It's also easier to relate and feel sorry for the victim, but as Ben Shapiro once said: "Facts don't care about your feelings", which may at first sound harsh but is quite accurate when you think about it.

8 hours ago, ThePD said:

Kotaku investigating something is honestly the biggest joke I think I have ever seen.

I would guess you didnt read the Anthem piece.

Im not really familiar with Kotaku, but this article was just amazing investigative journalism, so maybe the joke is on you..

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

3 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Well, that's precisely what I meant in my original comment - it's easy to destroy someone's reputation and career, it's harder to provide any legitimate proof to back claims like that.

Yet, some people still claim that we should believe all women (even when they have no actual proof). You know, cause why would they lie? 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

14 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

It's also easier to relate and feel sorry for the victim, but as Ben Shapiro once said: "Facts don't care about your feelings", which may at first sound harsh but is quite accurate when you think about it.

problem is some people's feelings dont care about other people's facts