New Windows Terminal - tabbed, emoji-capable Windows command-line experience.

Yes, Windows 10 now has a bona-fide desktop terminal app called …drum roll …Windows Terminal.

Yeah, no marks for originality there, Microsoft.

The new Windows Terminal app boasts a a clean, tabbed UI, full Unicode support (yes, including emoji) and will support themes and extensions so that developers can tailor a terminal environment that is totally to their taste.

The app will provide full access to Command Prompt, PowerShell, WSL, SSH and more.

Windows Terminal will be distributed through the Microsoft Store, and not tied to specific OS updates. This should ensure Microsoft is able to deliver new features to users without needing them to ‘reboot to install updates’ or pass through any other time-consuming hurdles.

The terminal can be tested out right now and is opensource, along with the terminal a new mono-type based font is also getting developed by Microsoft which is also, once again Open Source.

And you know it is awesome when there is a video showcasing a terminal.

Visit the repo (below) to clone, build, test, and run the Terminal! You can file bugs and share feedback with us and the community as well as fix issues and make improvements on GitHub

Repo: https://github.com/Microsoft/Terminal
Source : https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/05/coming-soon-windows-terminal-finally-a-tabbed-emoji-capable-windows-command-line/

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2019/05/ubuntu-support-windows-subsystem-linux-2

Devblog : https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/introducing-windows-terminal/

Between this and Microsoft shipping a full Linux kernel within Windows, I believe they're either admitting defeat in some way or trying to make Windows more attractive to developers.

Probably the latter.

Looks cool, but it won't build.  Guess I'll wait till it hits the store.

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

28 minutes ago, Nowak said:

Between this and Microsoft shipping a full Linux kernel within Windows, I believe they're either admitting defeat in some way or trying to make Windows more attractive to developers.

Probably the latter.

Or they want it all and offer the customer the choice of what they want...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Microsoft has been moving to cross-platform for some time now, especially for developpers. With stuff like Xamarin and more and more native support for their tools on other platforms. I'm guessing this is just another one of those tools that they thought needed adressing. 

2 hours ago, Screen said:

The new Windows Terminal app boasts a a clean, tabbed UI, full Unicode support (yes, including emoji) and will support themes and extensions so that developers can tailor a terminal environment that is totally to their taste

What's the point of that may i ask?

✨FNIGE✨

2 hours ago, Screen said:

Yes, Windows 10 now has a bona-fide desktop terminal app called …drum roll …Windows Terminal.

Yeah, no marks for originality there, Microsoft.

I wouldnt want them to be original. :D Just keep it simple and keep the marketing BS out of it.

With this and the Linux kernel it seems were are going back to the good old days.

9 minutes ago, SlimyPython said:

For hip javascript developers debugging emojis in their web apps.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

This reminds me a lot of cmdr, which is a good thing. This sounds really promising. I probably won't be able to replace PuTTY with it since I still need access to comm ports, but the tabbed SSH sounds dreamy.

2 hours ago, Fez_Boy said:

Looks cool, but it won't build.  Guess I'll wait till it hits the store. 

Seems like the build instructions are fairly incomplete. Have you made sure that you got all dependencies (not listed in the readme) installed?

• Windows 10 SDK, version 1903 (1903 is also needed to run the program)
  • Visual Studio 2017 or later.
  • The VS package "Desktop Development with c++"
  • The VS package "Universal Windows Platform Development"
  • C++ ATL in VS.

3 hours ago, SlimyPython said:

Because supporting UTF-8 will automatically support emoji, and any terminal app should use UTF-8 in the first place.

Most Linux terminals support UTF-8 and emoji already.

4 hours ago, SlimyPython said:

Real talk: probably because not including it would not be a benefit of emojis actually got used for something. 

That or they are marketing it towards youth, where the ammount of emojis indicate their level of dedication

/s

I hope this is available in safe mode as well.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Windows 10 SDK, version 1903 (1903 is also needed to run the program)

Well that explains it, I'm still on 1803.

/ _)
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

Pretty cool, I'm especially excited about the emoji support, that's really a necessity in this day and age ?

Interesting move, but does looks good. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 hours ago, HarryNyquist said:

any terminal app should use UTF-8 in the first place.

Not if it supports emoji.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Not if it supports emoji.

Why not?  Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to use it, and it's required for proper utf-8 support, which is most definitely a necessity.

/ _)
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

Aero glass coming back confirmed. xD

Screenshot_1.png.02f906a4667a5f8c900e209b4d7e808f.png

(See, even Microsoft knows it's better)

Anyways, looks good. Maybe one day I'll move to Windows 10. Maybe...

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

44 minutes ago, Fez_Boy said:

Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to use it

Every instance so far has been, 'yes, you do.'

45 minutes ago, Fez_Boy said:

it's required for proper utf-8 support, 

And? Move to a standard that doesn't include emoji. It's a waste of time and effort to use a system that incorporates emoji garbage.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

9 hours ago, Nowak said:

Windows has always been a disjointed mess in that regard. It’s entire framework was/is not developer friendly. 

Its gotten better, but there is a reason most servers run some variant of Linux. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

inb4 someone makes a programming language that only uses emoji

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

4 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

And? Move to a standard that doesn't include emoji. It's a waste of time and effort to use a system that incorporates emoji garbage.

Unicode is critical for internationalization. There is no standard that supports international script as fluently as Unicode does.

Any idea of when this is coming to the store? I'm not going to early-adopt 1903 just to test a terminal that may/may not work.

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HS

GPU: RTX 3060