AMD's new Radeon RX 3080 XT: RTX 2070 performance for $330?

Message added by WkdPaul

It's completely fine to disagree and have a different point of view.

But please construct your arguments thoughtfully and without ad-hominem, antagonizing or passive-aggressive comments.

feel like pure shit just want good AMD graphics performance back x

So around the performance of a V64 but a bit cheaper and node shrunk? Honestly doesn't seem too outlandish

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

4 hours ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

AMD is reportedly getting the Radeon RX 3080 XT ready for E3 2019 with its Navi 10 GPU on the 7nm node

Yes, for presentation/to show off...

I doubt they will do more than present it at CES.

Though it is possible as the original, rumored, release date was march...

Well, its only 3 weeks away, so lets just all calm down and wait...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

5 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

So around the performance of a V64 but a bit cheaper and node shrunk? Honestly doesn't seem too outlandish

Radeon VII has 60 CUs and higher memory bandwidth, this is supposed to have 56 and slightly lower memory bandwidth so just on that spec information plus what Vega 20 can clock at I think such a card would be faster than V64. Either that's really good or it isn't going to be 56 CUs.

3 minutes ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

This might interest you, if you haven't seen it already:

Adored, nope. Adored typical marathon video, hell nope. That guy needs to learn to cut to the point, got better things to do than listen to 3-5 minutes of information spread across 35 minutes lol.

Just now, leadeater said:

Adored, nope. Adored typical marathon video, hell nope. That guy needs to learn to cut to the point, got better thing to do than listen to 3-5 minutes of information spread across 35 minutes lol.

I just linked the part where he talks about his "source" claiming they had issues with clockspeeds:

https://youtu.be/Xg-o1wtE-ww?t=1640

Just now, BiG StroOnZ said:

I just linked the part where he talks about his "source" claiming they had issues with clockspeeds:

Yea I know, the picture you gave was enough ?.

There are rumor about Nvidia dropping prices soon too.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

8 hours ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

This might interest you, if you haven't seen it already:

cspdy.jpg.7f2fda1c4a44f4fdf07990efa9734542.jpg

https://youtu.be/Xg-o1wtE-ww?t=1640

For anyone that didn't know he did it, that video is another example of adored mentioning himself that he is/was biased towards AMD too.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

@Mihle

Well, I was called an AMD fanboy because I wasn't pissing all over RX Vega and Polaris and bragging how NVIDIA is the shit because AMD was struggling to deliver top of the line, king of the hill cards. Despite having GTX 980 and GTX 1080Ti...

3 hours ago, RejZoR said:

The naming scheme, I agree... The chipsets situation is so bad even I as enthusiast often ain't sure if I'm thinking about Intel or AMD chipset thanks to confusingly similar naming schemes.

AMD is seemingly matching naming schemes between CPUs and GPUs to promote it as a "package". great if you want to market to laptops and desktop OEM, not much more. 

39 minutes ago, Mihle said:

For anyone that didn't know he did it, that video is another example of adored mentioning himself that he is/was biased towards AMD too.

*fixed. there is no doubt Adored likes AMD and he has stated that he is Biased in favor of stuff that includes the use of chiplets and IF. 

people should learn to take what Adored presents as educated guesses based on rumours, nothing more, nothing less. 

Computex is so close right now that there honestly isnt much point in speculating performance on Zen 2, and we will probably get some sort of sneakpeak at computex regarding Navi. 

if Navi flops in high  performance desktopp, that is fine as long as it succeeds in consoles and laptops. 

Everyone is looking at this and thinking it's nonsense. But if you really think about it, it isn't so outrageous. Remember the GTX 1070? It had a release price of $379. Let's throw out the current 2070 pricing, it's completely overpriced. So if the normal pricing for a 70 series card is $379 then you'd expect AMD to go a bit lower to compete. Therefore, AMD's $330 doesn't seem so crazy anymore. Nvidia should have been selling the 2070 under $400 but instead they chose to rip-off everybody.

Then there's the other question.. why would this make sense considering that would mean around a $300 price difference between the 3080 and Radeon VII? The only reason AMD could get away with selling Radeon VII is because Nvidia gave them space to sell it. They are just about squeezing a profit out of it at $699. That is once again Nvidia pricing the 2080 at silly numbers. By doing that it gave a space for the Radeon VII to fit itself in. I wouldn't read too much into the gap between the 3080 and Radeon VII. No doubt that if Nvidia had priced the 2080 lower, then Radeon VII wouldn't be on the market right now.

I'm expecting a GTX 1080 level performer for $300, but a 2070 level performer for $330 isn't out of the question.

We already have RTX 2070 performance for 330$, it's called the RTX 2060

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

54 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

@Mihle

Well, I was called an AMD fanboy because I wasn't pissing all over RX Vega and Polaris and bragging how NVIDIA is the shit because AMD was struggling to deliver top of the line, king of the hill cards. Despite having GTX 980 and GTX 1080Ti...

No, if anyone called you an AMD fanboy it wasn't because of some made up insistence you brag about anything, it was the overwhelming request for you to stop making fallacious claims about Nvidia.  You don't have to like anything, no one wants you to say anything positive about Nvidia, we just want you to stop lying about them.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

4 hours ago, RejZoR said:

The naming scheme, I agree... The chipsets situation is so bad even I as enthusiast often ain't sure if I'm thinking about Intel or AMD chipset thanks to confusingly similar naming schemes. There was no need to follow this idiocy again and mimic NVIDIA's naming scheme. I actually really liked the Vega 56 and 64 naming scheme. Names are nice, easy to remember. Navi 56 and 64 would sound nice too.

It's nice to actually agree with you on something.  I think AMD should stand strong with their own names and go as far as they can to difference themselves from Nvidia.    There are a besquilion names from Greek gods and bible names to military hierarchies and tribal tributes that all sound awesome, no need for mimicry.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

23 minutes ago, mr moose said:

No, if anyone called you an AMD fanboy it wasn't because of some made up insistence you brag about anything, it was the overwhelming request for you to stop making fallacious claims about Nvidia.  You don't have to like anything, no one wants you to say anything positive about Nvidia, we just want you to stop lying about them.

And what or where have I lied about them? When I repeatedly say their control panel is absolute outdated garbage, that's just truth. When I was bitching over their broken ass V-Sync modes fucking up Youtube videos and they needed months to fix, that was a truth too. When I say they screwed up monumental opportunity to make RTX a huge boom, it's the same. But you were all too busy screaming how I don't know how industry works. NVIDIA, out of almost entire history of graphics had the time to wait for devs to do the RTX magic and have working games in just days apart from GeForce RTX cards launch. No one had such luxury through pretty much entire history of graphics industry. And they didn't use it because they had to rush cards to the market and then everyone was yawning because most of games they bragged about during GeForce RTX launch press conference, still aren't released yet. I guess I was lying about that too, aye? They literally had the opportunity to break the old "standard" of software catching up and they blew it. And for something as big as ray tracing, it's a thing given ray tracing is one of the biggest changes in graphics only rivaled by Pixel Shaders feature released in 2001.

yeah that's totally going to happen..

come on people, expect realistic things for once. if you think you'll be getting RTX 2070 performance for $330 then you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Just now, XR6 said:

come on people, expect realistic things for once. if you think you'll be getting RTX 2070 performance for $330 then you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Dude, RX480 rivaled GTX 980 when it was launched. A 300€ card rivaling 600€ card. What is so impossible about Navi doing the same lol?

I'm not expecting anything special other than good performance per dollar.

This is still just GCN. It's doubtful much has changed. Performance will just be a function of CU count, clock speed and memory bandwidth. We know there won't be a chip surpassing 64 CUs and we can be pretty sure it's not gonna clock much different from Radeon VII and memory bandwidth can only be lower. That tells you that we can't get higher performance than any existing product unless we should assume there is some secret sauce no one has ever heard of. So what's left to say is it'll be Polaris replacements and performance will be some percentage bump over those.

7 minutes ago, XR6 said:

Get Vega 56, mod it with power play tables, done.

You know what they say, ignorance is a bliss.

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

11 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

NVIDIA, out of almost entire history of graphics had the time to wait for devs to do the RTX magic and have working games in just days apart from GeForce RTX cards launch.

How? The devs didn't have RTX cards and you can't make a few hundred or thousand just for devs then forgo the TSMC fab line to someone else then hope you get that time when 'games are ready'. You sign a contract for hundreds of thousands made all in one go then supply the market to get the cards made and released.

It's extremely expensive per card to get engineering samples, Nvidia will not pay that cost just so devs can have them years in advance. Then what? Nvidia has to wait 2 years before developing RT and Tensor cores more because nobody has them so they have no idea how they are being used and where the limitations are?

So the comparison is framed as almost 2070 for cheap. But in a similar vein, it could also be compared against 1080, Vega... let's say 64 assuming some improvements and more clock. If nothing else, I hope it runs cooler as that was Vega's biggest hardware problem from attaining its full potential.

So basically like pretty much everything AMD, argument comes back down to price?

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Everybody is exited about what exactly, the fact that AMD might target a card 2 steps down from the top tier? Pretty sure Vega 64 last generation was supposed to target the 1080 so we basically had 0 gains with Navi?

That sounds more like AMD Radeon to me: negligible performance gains across generation but instead of saying we ate shit, again, at least it's very cheap!

-------

Current Rig

-------