ASUS ROG Strix Scar II Ram Upgrade

So I'm planning on buying this ASUS laptop and it comes with a single 16gb stick of ram. Dual channel is ideal for gaming so I'm planning on also getting an extra 8gb stick of ram that's the same speed, and I was wondering if it was compatible. I know sometimes system manufacturers will try to lock stuff down to only use their ram for some reason so I just wanted to confirm that this would work before I waste money on ram I can't use. Thanks!!

Laptop:  https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-GeForce-i7-8750H-Windows-GL504GW-DS74/dp/B07MDDNCH2/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1K0W4O77QD9L8&keywords=rtx 2070 laptop&qid=1557180577&s=gateway&sprefix=rtx 2070 lap,aps,172&sr=8-6&tag=linus21-20

Ram:  https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA7S67CE6764

42 minutes ago, TaylorDean16 said:

So I'm planning on buying this ASUS laptop and it comes with a single 16gb stick of ram. Dual channel is ideal for gaming so I'm planning on also getting an extra 8gb stick of ram that's the same speed, and I was wondering if it was compatible. I know sometimes system manufacturers will try to lock stuff down to only use their ram for some reason so I just wanted to confirm that this would work before I waste money on ram I can't use. Thanks!!

Laptop:  https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-GeForce-i7-8750H-Windows-GL504GW-DS74/dp/B07MDDNCH2/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1K0W4O77QD9L8&keywords=rtx 2070 laptop&qid=1557180577&s=gateway&sprefix=rtx 2070 lap,aps,172&sr=8-6&tag=linus21-20

Ram:  https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA7S67CE6764

It probably is compatible, but if I were you I would attempt to buy the same brand/model of the RAM that is currently in the system. Ideally you want your RAM to run with Dual-Channel, but sometimes that doesn't always happen when you mix. Pop open the laptop and see if you can find a serial number or something, that would be your best bet. Otherwise, you might consider buying something that is already running in Dual-Channel, or buy a set. 

Also I would buy something from a more reputable manufacturer than Nemix, they are about as budget as it comes. Try something like G.Skill. 

6 hours ago, TaylorDean16 said:

extra 8gb stick of ram

Will run in Flex mode which isn't ideal. My suggestion is to sell the current 16GB stick and add x2 8GB

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

35 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Will run in Flex mode which isn't ideal. My suggestion is to sell the current 16GB stick and add x2 8GB

What's flex mode? I'm guessing it's when ram cards aren't the same size?

6 hours ago, SSJ_7YL3R said:

It probably is compatible, but if I were you I would attempt to buy the same brand/model of the RAM that is currently in the system. Ideally you want your RAM to run with Dual-Channel, but sometimes that doesn't always happen when you mix. Pop open the laptop and see if you can find a serial number or something, that would be your best bet. Otherwise, you might consider buying something that is already running in Dual-Channel, or buy a set. 

Also I would buy something from a more reputable manufacturer than Nemix, they are about as budget as it comes. Try something like G.Skill. 

gotcha. Thanks!

34 minutes ago, TaylorDean16 said:

I'm guessing it's when ram cards aren't the same size?

Yes, different capacity

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128