Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
duplexmortician

Losing my mother fu**ing ***damned mind (Network discovery problems)

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I have two PCs in my office, one for gaming, the other for recording.  The gaming PC is far more powerful than that recording PC so I use the gaming PC for editing as well.  So every time I record a clip I have to transfer the file to the the gaming PC so I can work on it.  Trouble is, I can't seem to reliably get the two PCs talking to each other or even noticing the other is there. 

 

I can ping each from the other, have set up fixed IP addresses for each machine, Network Discovery is turned on on both machines, I have manually turned on (and set to automatic) the DNS Client, Function Discovery Provider Host, Function Discovery Resource Publication, SSDP Discovery, and UPnP Device Host services.  

 

SOMETIMES it works, but not reliably and not right now.  Any help appreciated.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Both running Windows? Just create a home group and join both to it.


Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Windows 10 Pro X64 |

 

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Both running Windows? Just create a home group and join both to it.

Yep both running Win10 which does not have home groups.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Turn Windows Features On or Off  --> Enable .Net Framework 3.5 and everything within it --> Enable SMB 1.0 and everything under it.

 

Do you know the UNC path to each PC?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Enable SMB 1.0? Yeah, DO NOT DO THIS!!!

 

Remember Wannacry, the ransomware that spread like wildfire in a few hours? Fun fact: it uses an exploit in SMB1.0 to spread


Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Windows 10 Pro X64 |

 

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah... please don't disable your firewall and enable SMB 1.0

 

How are you transferring the files? Have you tried mapping by the IP instead of the hostname?

 

For simplicity sakes and testing, make a new folder on the C drive of one of the computers. Right click and go to properties, then the Sharing tab, then click Share... At the popup click the drop box, select Everyone, click Add, change permission level to Read/Write, then click Share. The final window will show you the share path, like \\HOSTNAMEOFCOMPUTER\FolderName. On the other computer type that into File Explorer (note they are backslashes), but replace the hostname with the IP address of that computer.

 

Do note that anyone on your network would be able to view that share since it was shared with permissions to "Everyone".

 

Are they both set to WORKGROUP? Both have the same IP for the DNS server, and is that IP your router? If your router is being dumb and you have 1.1.1.1 as your DNS on the computers I could see it not working by hostname.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2019 at 10:19 AM, duplexmortician said:

I have two PCs in my office, one for gaming, the other for recording.  The gaming PC is far more powerful than that recording PC so I use the gaming PC for editing as well.  So every time I record a clip I have to transfer the file to the the gaming PC so I can work on it.  Trouble is, I can't seem to reliably get the two PCs talking to each other or even noticing the other is there. 

 

I can ping each from the other, have set up fixed IP addresses for each machine, Network Discovery is turned on on both machines, I have manually turned on (and set to automatic) the DNS Client, Function Discovery Provider Host, Function Discovery Resource Publication, SSDP Discovery, and UPnP Device Host services.  

 

SOMETIMES it works, but not reliably and not right now.  Any help appreciated.

I have this same issue ever since I updated my windows install. I have found a fix though (for me anyway). I go into the services app and restart function discovery resource publication on both systems. Even if it is already running on both systems, it needs to be restarted to allow it to work.

Hope this helps.

Link to post
Share on other sites

One more think to check, you probably have but still, make sure the network profile is set to private and not public.

Win 10 likes to set it to public when ever it feels.

 

16 hours ago, Scheer said:

Yeah... please don't disable your firewall and enable SMB 1.0

 

How are you transferring the files? Have you tried mapping by the IP instead of the hostname?

 

For simplicity sakes and testing, make a new folder on the C drive of one of the computers. Right click and go to properties, then the Sharing tab, then click Share... At the popup click the drop box, select Everyone, click Add, change permission level to Read/Write, then click Share. The final window will show you the share path, like \\HOSTNAMEOFCOMPUTER\FolderName. On the other computer type that into File Explorer (note they are backslashes), but replace the hostname with the IP address of that computer.

 

Do note that anyone on your network would be able to view that share since it was shared with permissions to "Everyone".

 

Are they both set to WORKGROUP? Both have the same IP for the DNS server, and is that IP your router? If your router is being dumb and you have 1.1.1.1 as your DNS on the computers I could see it not working by hostname.

Scheer ha the right idea but I would add two things. Create a user on the machine that is sharing the folder and call it drive or something, give it a password and when you share the folder, share it with that user.

Reasons for this are that it 1. password protects the share and 2. Win 10 sometimes gets crappy about sharing a folder without credentials so I find this to be more reliable.

Other thing, if \\ComputerName\Folder is not working, try \\IP-Address\Folder. Again i find it more reliable than using computer name.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 5/7/2019 at 6:47 PM, DezGalbie said:

I have this same issue ever since I updated my windows install. I have found a fix though (for me anyway). I go into the services app and restart function discovery resource publication on both systems. Even if it is already running on both systems, it needs to be restarted to allow it to work.

Hope this helps.

THIS ACTUALLY WORKS!  Now to set a macro to execute this every time I boot up...  

Thank you. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, duplexmortician said:

THIS ACTUALLY WORKS!  Now to set a macro to execute this every time I boot up...  

Thank you. :)

Glad to be of assistance :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×