Did I destroy my GPU?

Erenke

I've opened this topic on Reddit but couldn't seem to get an exact problem identification. Maybe you guys could help me...

___

The GPU is AMD R9 380 and the motherboard is MSI H81M-P32 (MS-7846).

Not necessary to read this part:

So today I was playing Black Desert Online. I've decided to take some screenshots and turned on remastered mode, cranked up everything and disabled all optimizations. Few screenshots later, I went outside the room and forgot the game. I've heard some semi-loud noises coming but didn't realize it was my speakers. I came into the room a few minutes later just to see my pc went to a black screen and my speaker was blasting this stupid noise. This happened to me before with Black Desert but I usually just restarted the computer and switched the graphics to low so the GPU would cool off and nothing would happen.

Anyway, so my GPU was hot, I just restarted the computer to see white stripes and eventually BSOD.

White stripes

weird BSOD

I don't know GPU a lot but I didn't see any physical damage in the pins of PCI-e slot (both on GPU and on the motherboard) but here are the screenshots anyway:

GPU top, GPU bottom

PCI slot

I unplugged and plugged it two times (one for the photos) and on the last one, after an error and a reset, it started to work again. A few months ago, one of the ram slots broke down resulting in always BSOD. Also, I tried internal GPU when external wasn't working and it worked perfectly.

Update: So now I think my GPU or motherboard is somewhat damaged but I'm not sure how damaged it is. When I try to launch a game/furmark test, I get a black screen and I think the system crashes. When I hit the restart button on the case, the GPU fans go (i think) at full speed for no reason (at 40-45 degrees Celsius) and I don't get an output from the GPU until I use the PSU power switch...

I don't think it's a VRAM issue, I used a stress test on VRAM with VMST for a few minutes. I think it tests VRAM without rendering a 3D scene (also an odd thing, the test said at some point, it was using 1GB of VRAM but Windows 10 Task Manager said 0.4GB was being used). So the problem occurs when you try to render a 3D scene. Also no issue with FHD/4K video playback as well...

Update 2: Checked out a few webgl/canvas demos and benchmarks. No problems and quite good performance too.

Update 3: Tried a DirectX benchmark, after few seconds of benchmark, the system crashed again and now it has this yellow transparent tint at the place of those white stripes. I unplugged the GPU and those "burn marks" on the photos above are actually because of light. There aren't any kind of burn marks on the pins. Right now I unplugged PSU cables from the GPU and I'm using the internal GPU which is I think Intel HD Graphics 4600

that is most definitely caused by VRAM.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

32 minutes ago, Levent said:

that is most definitely caused by VRAM.

What made you say that? Also, if it's caused by VRAM, is it fixable or do I need to trash it? Also, VMT test results say there are no errors, not sure how trustworthy that is...

Changing video mode to 640x480x16...OK
[5/5/2019 3:11:32 PM] Test started for "AMD Radeon (TM) R9 380 Series"...
Trying 16bpp RGB:565 mode...OK
Trying 16bpp RGB:555 mode...OK
Trying 16bpp BGR:565 mode...NOT SUPPORTED (Code: 80004001)
Trying 32bpp RGB:888 mode...OK
Trying 32bpp BGR:888 mode...NOT SUPPORTED (Code: 80004001)
[5/5/2019 3:42:55 PM] Pass completed (0 errors found).

1 hour ago, Eren K. said:

What made you say that? Also, if it's caused by VRAM, is it fixable or do I need to trash it? Also, VMT test results say there are no errors, not sure how trustworthy that is...

if it does that screen glitches when memory frequency is at its 3D operation speed. It is VRAMs that is failing or overclock (GPU and VRAM) is too high. I had 2 cards fail the same way.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

29 minutes ago, Levent said:

if it does that screen glitches when memory frequency is at its 3D operation speed. It is VRAMs that is failing or overclock (GPU and VRAM) is too high. I had 2 cards fail the same way.

AFAIK, I didn't overclock it at all. So if what you are saying is true it must be VRAM failure. If that's the case, could it be repaired? Also, why would it sometimes do that glitch and sometimes not?

18 minutes ago, Eren K. said:

AFAIK, I didn't overclock it at all. So if what you are saying is true it must be VRAM failure. If that's the case, could it be repaired? Also, why would it sometimes do that glitch and sometimes not?

It might as simple as driver issue (have you updated it recently?) or hw issues like vrms/vrams failing or overheating.

12 minutes ago, Levent said:

It might as simple as driver issue (have you updated it recently?) or hw issues like vrms/vrams failing or overheating.

I just booted into safe mode and uninstalled the graphics driver. However, the glitchy yellow thing still appears. It also appears on post screen so i don't think it's a driver thing... Also the glitch happens when it's not overheated as well.

1 hour ago, Eren K. said:

I just booted into safe mode and uninstalled the graphics driver. However, the glitchy yellow thing still appears. It also appears on post screen so i don't think it's a driver thing... Also the glitch happens when it's not overheated as well.

then its most likely hardware failure.

I think it's a VRAM issue. I tried to underclock the memory to maybe have a chance to not use faulty VRAM but the display driver for the GPU always crashes windows at the startup with the code video_tdr_failure atikmpag.sys... I'm hopeless, thinking about selling the CPU and adding some money to buy Ryzen 5 2400G without external GPU ?

13 hours ago, Eren K. said:

Anyway, so my GPU was hot, I just restarted the computer to see white stripes and eventually BSOD.

White stripes

weird BSOD

The white Stripes don't necessarily look like GPU, that could be the monitor, the BSOD looks like it could be the GPU.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

4 hours ago, Eren K. said:

I think it's a VRAM issue. I tried to underclock the memory to maybe have a chance to not use faulty VRAM but the display driver for the GPU always crashes windows at the startup with the code video_tdr_failure atikmpag.sys... I'm hopeless, thinking about selling the CPU and adding some money to buy Ryzen 5 2400G without external GPU ?

That's not the worst choice, depending on what you have right now...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

5 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

That's not the worst choice, depending on what you have right now...

Well, I came up with that option because I bought the GPU for 800 bucks (₺) back in the day and now they are at the almost 2K price tag, which I can add like 200-300 bucks to make a 2400G setup without GPU. I think I can solve the problem by somehow underclocking the GPU before Windows loads display driver but don't know how. Maybe I can use it on Linux, which I was thinking before the failure...

Also, my current rig is basically, i5-4460 (4c/4t) 3.4 GHz, HyperX Fury DDR3-1600... I was planning to get this build, it's just a simple one I made, might make it better:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2D4NdX

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($976.48) 
CPU Cooler: AMD - Wraith Max 55.78 CFM CPU Cooler  ($0.00) 
Motherboard: MSI - B450-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($696.90) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($313.90) 
Storage: Kingston - Savage 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 500 GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Power Supply: be quiet! - System Power 9 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($364.70) 
Total: $2351.98 (₺)