iMore's reply to Linus on why macs are slower than PCs

bruhbing
26 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

it is correct though. a similarly designed pc does the same thing. (i9 zenbook pro)

Yes, but you can buy a core i9 PC that isn't similarly designed and doesn't have this problem. You can't buy a core i9 macbook that doesn't have this problem.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 hours ago, TetraSky said:

This only affected a small number of users.

Yeah, just like every other problem apple has had with their designs, at least, according to them.

13 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I think you're confusing a discussion about hardware with a discussion about software. It's not macOS that makes macs slower, it's the bad thermal design - and a cpu that overheats with inadequate cooling isn't a one-off freak event, it's thermodynamics.

Does that mean all PCs are better designed or cooler? Of course not but, usually, when you drop 2k on them they are or, at the very least, you can find one that is. If you want a mac, on the other hand, you don't really have a choice.

Apple users tend to conflate or confuse the two (hardware and software).

The fact is, for the price you pay for most apple machines, you can get more performance and better specs out of a non apple machine that has been properly designs and built.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

8 hours ago, TECHNOKID said:

"which makes it decidedly not a Mac thing at all" isn't true as there are no pcs that I know of with an i9 of this form factor.

Original article by iMore: https://www.imore.com/linus-wrong-about-macs-being-slower-pcs-heres-why

How about the Gigabyte Aero 15? Linus used it as a comparative benchmarking "thin i9 laptop" in the very video in question.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

2 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Apple users tend to conflate or confuse the two.

He did say he hates Apple tho ‍?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 hours ago, Sauron said:

Does that mean all PCs are better designed or cooler? Of course not but, usually, when you drop 2k on them they are or, at the very least, you can find one that is. If you want a mac, on the other hand, you don't really have a choice.

Sadly, the only choice to buy a Macbook Pro that throttles is:

Install Mac Fan Control (which I do on all my MacBooks regardless)

Buy a Macbook Pro 13, and a portable eGPU if you need the dGPU power of the 15"

I love Macbooks, not to the point of being an "iSheep" or fanboy, but they are truly brilliant devices... er, were.

The lack of a 4 core 15" Macbook Pro baffles me. The lack of a 13" Macbook Pro with a dGPU baffles me, the lack of a 4 core Macbook Air baffles me.

I'm more than fine with the current "lack of ports" (in very heavy quotation marks) design of the newer Macbooks, given the undeniable versatility of the Thunderbolt 3 standard. Apple could smother a MBP with every port under the sun and some tech journalist somewhere would wish for some random port that was omitted. Solution? Allow infinite options. Its the closest to making everybody happy as you can get. Apple does need to simply kill the lowest spec 2 TB3 port 13" models. There is 0 reason for them to exist.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 

3 hours ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

-snip-

I meant doesn't throttle, but can't edit. My LTT is bugged.

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

I stopped being interested in MacBooks when they got rid of the 17" (Having said that, I currently have a 15" laptop so....)

Having said that, I do actually use my Mac Pro (2009 8 core, that manages to run quiet and cool because it has this new fangled thing called airflow) all the time now because MacOS has grown on me to the point where I'd rather use a Mac than my PC. I actually run MacOS in a VM on my laptop for certain things when I'm out and about

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

27 minutes ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

Apple could smother a MBP with every port under the sun and some tech journalist somewhere would wish for some random port that was omitted. Solution? Allow infinite options.

I don't know about that - certainly there's nothing wrong with the macbook having usb-c ports and nobody is saying they should have every port imaginable but, in my opinion, a couple of type-A ports and a regular hdmi port should still be there. Even if all your devices used usb-c, 4 ports aren't that many and having to always bring an adapter with you kind of defeats the purpose of a thin and light device; they might as well have made it 2mm thicker and added those ports.

Of course it's much worse for the "regular" macbook - one port is definitely not enough, especially when it also acts as charging port.

16 minutes ago, yolosnail said:

MacOS has grown on me to the point where I'd rather use a Mac than my PC.

Have you tried Linux? You get the same unix-like benefits without being tied to Apple hardware

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

4 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I don't know about that - certainly there's nothing wrong with the macbook having usb-c ports and nobody is saying they should have every port imaginable but, in my opinion, a couple of type-A ports and a regular hdmi port should still be there. Even if all your devices used usb-c, 4 ports aren't that many and having to always bring an adapter with you kind of defeats the purpose of a thin and light device; they might as well have made it 2mm thicker and added those ports.

Of course it's much worse for the "regular" macbook - one port is definitely not enough, especially when it also acts as charging port.

Have you tried Linux? You get the same unix-like benefits without being tied to Apple hardware

I don't know about Type-A or HDMI... I'd say the biggest improvement, and the most realistic, would be restoring the SD card reader.  Having to plug your camera in directly (or connect via WiFi) can be clunky.

I'll give you a type A wouldn't hurt, but imo the only port I honestly miss on laptops that don't have it is ethernet. That is the one native port I would trade a couple of MM for. For data transfers between PC's I have Send Anywhere, if I really need a USB stick I have a little Sandisk Blade drive I could carry around with a slim Type A-C adapter. 4 ports isn't a ton if you say it like that, but reword it as every port being PCI-E 3.0 X4 it becomes much more. You can very easily carry one dongle that adds every port you could use. (Linus has a perfect example of this. IIRC it has 2 USB 3.0 Type A, Ethernet, SD card reader, and HDMI).

These may not be the most elegant seamless solution, and even if they're $20, that's $20 on top of a very expensive laptop. But, personally, I think the fact that 4 TB3 ports have so much more versatility than a "regular" IO layout is enough of a reason to use it. Just as with many things though, it is very much up to personal preference and I can totally understand why a lot of people don't like it. Hell, I had a classmate with a brand new MBP that nearly failed the class because she lost her Type C to A adapter on the day she had to present her assignment.

The Macbook is basically a netbook/chromebook. Everything is meant to be on the cloud. That doesn't justify it, it should have 2 at the minimum, but still. For what Apple intended it for it isn't a bad thing.

@Sauron LTT is having some serious bugs rn, so im just going to @ you. Lmao

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

52 minutes ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

given the undeniable versatility of the Thunderbolt 3 standard.

USB C is only versatile due to adapters, otherwise it’s a (crappy) solution in need of a problem.. TB3’s usefulness starts and stops with external RAID and eGPU. Video signalling over USB is nothing new, nor is daisy chaining devices.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

3 hours ago, Drak3 said:

USB C is only versatile due to adapters, otherwise it’s a (crappy) solution in need of a problem.. TB3’s usefulness starts and stops with external RAID and eGPU. Video signalling over USB is nothing new, nor is daisy chaining devices.

My exact point was that USB C and TB3 are useful because of adapters. I can't speak to external RAID over TB3, because I haven't tested it or seen it tested.

EGPU's will never offer the same performance as a baked in dGPU, but with midrange GPUs it is more than adequate (RX580/GTX1070 and below)

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

Hell, I had a classmate with a brand new MBP that nearly failed the class because she lost her Type C to A adapter on the day she had to present her assignment.

That sounds like something that could have been prevented with a little foresight :D but jokes aside it kind of goes to show that, while in theory you can make do perfectly with 4 TB ports, in practice it often becomes an annoyance if not a downright problem. Even having a VGA port is very convenient if you regularly use projectors... so while I don't advocate for Apple to include every port that might possibly be of use I think they should at least design their systems with a port selection that makes sense for their audience. For instance I know that a lot of photographers are pissed because they removed the sd card slot.

9 minutes ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

The Macbook is basically a netbook/chromebook. Everything is meant to be on the cloud. That doesn't justify it, it should have 2 at the minimum, but still. For what Apple intended it for it isn't a bad thing.

The macbook is 4 times more expensive than your average chromebook and there are cheaper, similarly (often better) specced laptops that have multiple ports, all without being thicker. E.g. the asus UX line. In fact, if everything is in the cloud and ports don't matter why not just buy Apple's own iPad pro? It's cheaper and more flexible (just by virtue of having a touch screen).

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

in theory you can make do perfectly with 4 TB ports, in practice it often becomes an annoyance if not a downright problem. Even having a VGA port is very convenient if you regularly use projectors... so while I don't advocate for Apple to include every port that might possibly be of use I think they should at least design their systems with a port selection that makes sense for their audience. For instance I know that a lot of photographers are pissed because they removed the sd card slot.

I can't really argue with that. My specific example was of somebody who is incredibly forgetful and had just gotten the device, but I could very easily see where issues can arise if you aren't careful or thoughtful. I would very much miss the SD card if I used it on anything other than my traveling work laptop. I work on a lot of broken laptops, and its very possible in data recovery cases for the USB slots to be fried but the SD card reader to work since it has its own chipset and controller.

The macbook is 4 times more expensive than your average chromebook and there are cheaper, similarly (often better) specced laptops that have multiple ports, all without being thicker. E.g. the asus UX line. In fact, if everything is in the cloud and ports don't matter why not just buy Apple's own iPad pro? It's cheaper and more flexible (just by virtue of having a touch screen).

Precisely the issue with it as a device.

@Sauron

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

that still doesn't mean everyone who buys them buys them for looks. 

Absolutely not for the looks alone. Generally I have never heard anyone arguing it's because of performance because there are better solutions, but it's usually high build quality, good battery life, stability and everything working outside of the box or living in Apple ecosystem. Those are the reasons my gf bought one, better to say why I picked her a MBP. If you do not mind the price, it's a good device, with its pros and cons. Like it or not, most people do not buy it for performance. Why? Most people don't care/need about performance. Don't forget, we're a niche. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

you can't change the thermals in the Mac... so therefore it's slower

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

34 minutes ago, Sauron said:

The macbook is 4 times more expensive than your average chromebook and there are cheaper, similarly (often better) specced laptops that have multiple ports, all without being thicker

There is allways the macbook "copy". Aka the Matebook line from huawei.

The X Pro being a very neat mix of ports.

There are other laptops in a thin chassis that pack an 8950HK. However, Apple's also just happens to be one of the most inferior, mostly due to the laughably inadequate cooling system, which was just barely enough for a 7820HQ.

But that's not really my biggest issue with this generation of Mac. It's the keyboard. Best way to sum it up is a solution that no one asked for in search of a crippling failure point. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

3 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

that is a very bold statement.

I use a Mac because I like macOS. that's the only reason. I cannot live without it. and I certainly like a fast computer. 

Bold statement? Yes
One not from anger last night? no

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

you mean the fan curve? or what?

She/Her

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

.... ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????? I am so confused.
1. How do thermals have to do with slowing it down? Elaborate for my dumb software mind
2. You can technically if you are talking about fans and stuff it IS possible just semi-painful (in my experience)
3. Same with thermal paste if you try hard enough
4. WOT!?

3 minutes ago, SafyreLyons-5LT said:

How do thermals have to do with slowing it down? Elaborate for my dumb software mind

Turbo boost is based off of heat and power draw, if the chip gets hot enough, it turbos less.

If it gets hot enough, a chip will lower its clockspeed below the base clock, this is thermal throttling.

Most Macs can’t maintain turbo speeds for long but will still not thermal throttle. Some may thermal throttle (like the i9 MacBook Pro 15” when it was first released).

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Turbo boost is based off of heat and power draw, if the chip gets hot enough, it turbos less.

If it gets hot enough, a chip will lower its clockspeed below the base clock, this is thermal throttling.

Most Macs can’t maintain turbo speeds for long but will still not thermal throttle. Some may thermal throttle (like the i9 MacBook Pro 15” when it was first released).

Thank you, I genuinely was not thinking.... well am just dumb

8 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

1. Shrinking the die, as far as I am aware, reduces power consumption and ups efficiency.

2. Shrinking the die does not mean you have to cram more cores in there, to compensate. Because you haven't lost anything.

It does increase efficiency, but it also increases transistor density which affects heat output which as far as I'm aware does not scale linearly but I could be wrong on that, I'm not versed in thermodynamics.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz