No Dollar Wasted PC Build Guide

Apart from the bitching and moaning that starts about midway through, a pretty good video.

Maybe you should split off real tech videos into a new channel and leave this for Linus' gadget reviews.

11 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

that makes sense. but since Windows at retail price is pretty expensive IMO it would have made more sense to demonstrate using Linux. 

It's perfectly legal to get a grey market windows key for $6. If doing things companies didn't approve of could land you in jail, that would be a pretty dark 1984-esque world to live in.

I like that he made the same mistake I made when placing the AMD cooler.

That little knob that reads AMD has to be pointed away from the RAM slots. Some boards, e.g.MSI, but also that ASRock judging from the video, have the issue that the RAM could clear the cooler, but not the AMD knob sticking out from the cooler. But sure, in 99% of all used cases, this will never be a problem.

He used a Seagate HDD. I thought he knew better.

14 hours ago, GabenJr said:

Now that we’ve got new hardware to play with, it’s time to resurrect the Build Guides once again, this time looking for the absolute best bang for the buck!

Buy the build:
On Amazon: https://geni.us/svZJn
On Newegg: https://lmg.gg/8KVwZ

@ 2:22 that image of you plugging it into a wall socket is so bad, like i never post anything about your videos, but i had to, yes i understand you said it "must be connected to ground" and plugging it into wall socket is stupid, some people will have no idea and think all are the same, this needs to be addressed, you should NEVER plug anything into a wall socket unless it has a plug that is meant to be plugged in or you know what you are doing, you are just asking for trouble, someone will fry themselves and your video will be where fingers are pointed, at the very least remove the image of putting it into the wall socket, people arnt as smart as you are giving them credit, they will use any hole thinking oh they did it on linustechtips, it must be fine...

@LinusTech

here is a great example of how people might think

10 hours ago, ChrisGaming said:

I have a question. I saw him plugging in the strap into the outlet. Isn't that dangerous or something? I live in the U.S. and was wondering if I could too to upgrade my pc

hm... do i have magic in my hand? or did price differ so much in a month?

Had a similar build for company PCs but there was some budget for RGB given :] You can check out the build/log on my site - it's based on Ryzen 7 1700, has the G.Skill ram they flashed in the video and uses second hand RX 570. Also cheap good SSD can be found on Ebay and alike sites. SSDs removed from OEM solution with barely any use are a nice way to not use a HDD just SSDs.

"No dollar wasted"

500$ video card....

Stay stupid LTT vids, I need the laughs

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 hours ago, perplex said:

@ 2:22 that image of you plugging it into a wall socket is so bad, like i never post anything about your videos, but i had to, yes i understand you said it "must be connected to ground" and plugging it into wall socket is stupid, some people will have no idea and think all are the same, this needs to be addressed, you should NEVER plug anything into a wall socket unless it has a plug that is meant to be plugged in or you know what you are doing, you are just asking for trouble, someone will fry themselves and your video will be where fingers are pointed, at the very least remove the image of putting it into the wall socket, people arnt as smart as you are giving them credit, they will use any hole thinking oh they did it on linustechtips, it must be fine...

@LinusTech

here is a great example of how people might think

yes, please adress this, somebody could get hurt @GabenJr

*shudder*

That intro will give me nightmares... Thank God Anthony showed up... Dennis Tech Tips... Do not want.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

5 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

hm... do i have magic in my hand? or did price differ so much in a month?

Few key differences. 1600 vs 2600 and BX500 vs WD Blue 3D Nand which if you want to compare them you need Crucial MX500 which is a "tier higher". He didn't opt for cheapest SSD. The price should go up but by $50 or so. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Does anyone have the spreadsheet link with the VRM tier list from the video?

As a lurker you really have to hit one of the edges (good or bad) in a LTT video for me to come post.

And this video was absolutely GREAT!

I 100% agree with a top comment I read in Youtube. Anthony has come a long way since his first on video scenes. Much more confident and even starting to show some personality as he is obviously more comfortable in front of the camera.

Anthony if you see this, rock on dude, you killed it!

Linus, I love your reviews of products, your smooth delivery of specs and features and I trust you'll be willing to be critical of products when shell reviews are only going to talk positive about a product, however consider starting to hand over some of the build guilds and technical information videos to Anthony. He has done great on the Linux vids and had some clear build tips in this video that I think you (linus) may skip over because its just second nature to you when it comes to building a PC.

17 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Few key differences. 1600 vs 2600 and BX500 vs WD Blue 3D Nand which if you want to compare them you need Crucial MX500 which is a "tier higher". He didn't opt for cheapest SSD. The price should go up but by $50 or so. 

then it's still much less

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

Also you have a VEGA64 vs RTX 2070 and that's basically it. The price shouldn't differ that much on their config. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

5 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Also you have a VEGA64 vs RTX 2070 and that's basically it. The price shouldn't differ that much on their config. 

yeah, the 1600 and v64 in the old one was to show you can get about the same performance with less money

5 hours ago, riklaunim said:

Had a similar build for company PCs but there was some budget for RGB given :] You can check out the build/log on my site - it's based on Ryzen 7 1700, has the G.Skill ram they flashed in the video and uses second hand RX 570. Also cheap good SSD can be found on Ebay and alike sites. SSDs removed from OEM solution with barely any use are a nice way to not use a HDD just SSDs.

Fire hazard PSU lmao

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

20 hours ago, GabenJr said:

It's worth noting that this video was written and shot well over a month ago, and it looks like the price dropped from ~$400+ USD on Vega 56 down to ~$300 since then. Given that the RTX 2070 is $500, Vega would have been the pick if I were building it today.

1. any insight into which Vega 56 or Vega 64 model you would pick?

2. My local computer store bundles motherboards with CPU's. what motherboard features am I looking for? I'm sure their current bundle's list will have a motherboard for less than the $70-80 your pick cost. So I hope to get an even better deal this way.

Your guide was really awesome. I don't care for all these people complaining about the power supply choice. a reputable brand. good power output and a good price seem logical to me, lol. Thanks for the hard work and I finally found a good setup to update my ageing one :)

Hey, first time builder here. I'm considering building a PC for machine learning applications, with maybe a bit of gaming. (Typically running stuff like Tensorflow, Keras, etc.). Would this be a good PC build to follow, even if it's not primarily for gaming purposes?

Thanks!

19 minutes ago, javathunderman said:

Hey, first time builder here. I'm considering building a PC for machine learning applications, with maybe a bit of gaming. (Typically running stuff like Tensorflow, Keras, etc.). Would this be a good PC build to follow, even if it's not primarily for gaming purposes?

Thanks!

No, you'd be better off getting a Ryzen 7 for a few dollars more. Make your own thread and watch the recommendations come in!

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

I had to create an account to say how irresponsible it seems at 2:22 when you just plug the wrist strap into the outlet. There is a chance the ground is shorted or incorrectly wired in the outlet, especially in an old house. And of course outlets vary in different regions, at least mention this is only applicable in North America. And since the strap is wrapped around your wrist, it won't necessarily be a quick jolt. Also, the plug looks like it can easily be bent and lose contact since it's taking all the force when you're moving your wrist around putting your PC together. And even though an ESD strap is being worn, at 24:50 it looks like there is a spark when the case side is being slid on.

41 minutes ago, tk231 said:

And of course outlets vary in different regions, at least mention this is only applicable in North America. 

yup. in my country the outlets have 2 holes, and those are live and neutral. the ground is a prong in the socket kinda. so if i tried what was displayed in the video i'd have a 50/50 chance of death, since neither of the holes are ground. 

She/Her

24 minutes ago, quakeguy81 said:

Everybody stop crying about 2:22 Anthony sticking an ESD alligator clip into an electrical socket.  There are plenty of Youtube videos of people sticking things into electrical outlets.  Nothing to see here.

Oh wow, a perfectly wired North American outlet in a controlled environment. Most people live in homes with 50+ year old circuitry. The ground socket could be shorted or just never wired correctly. It is not a good idea to recommend to viewers (many who are young) to just plug stuff into an outlet that is wrapped around their body! If you get shocked you may not be able to just pull away since it's literally wrapped around your wrist. It seems so unnecessarily dangerous. Especially without more information like the region or a recommendation to test with meters! Like the user above said, his outlet in his region has a round plug that isn't ground. And many regions outside North America use 240v.

Comment on the video from one hour ago: "I did put the ESD band in our EU wall outlet. But the main fuse keeps switching off."

It's already happening. Viewers are blindly following this video. Someone could get hurt. You should take it down and re-post it with better instructions, or just don't even plug it into the outlet at all.

1 hour ago, tk231 said:

Comment on the video from one hour ago: "I did put the ESD band in our EU wall outlet. But the main fuse keeps switching off."

It's already happening. Viewers are blindly following this video. Someone could get hurt. You should take it down and re-post it with better instructions, or just don't even plug it into the outlet at all.

That's sad to hear. There will always be the question how many disclaimers/important safety notices have to be included in such a video. Normally, I would expect a viewer to use the ESD strap according to the instructions that came with it, but this will not be a valid assumption for every single viewer.

Some people mentioned including instructions on how to test existing wall outlets to make sure they are working correctly. While this might help to indentify some malfunctioning wall outlets, there is a substantial risk for a layperson to overlook some possible flaws that might still prove dangerous. Keeping these things in mind, I would rather recommend connecting the ESD strap to something like a radiator of the house's heating system. They should be connected to earth, in the worst case they are not connected to anything, which would make the ESD strap useless but not dangerous.