No Dollar Wasted PC Build Guide

Now that we’ve got new hardware to play with, it’s time to resurrect the Build Guides once again, this time looking for the absolute best bang for the buck!

Buy the build:
On Amazon: https://geni.us/svZJn
On Newegg: https://lmg.gg/8KVwZ

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

but...but...RGB?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Rolling with the RTX 1070 in a $1000 budget build, just in case you need that ray-traced Minecraft

This is a great video for sure but I'd really like to see them do something like this with used parts (unless scrapyard wars already has)

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

Loving the force lightning, didn't know Anthony was related to Palpatine. Looks like a well put together guide from start to finish which is nice to see, this might not be the most profitable content but it's the most needed content to help people to build a PC or at least learn about what's inside the PC they already have. Most people start off with something pre-built and then add onto it or build a new computer once the prebuilt is out grown, guides like these are a big help.

One tip I've discovered for myself is to get a long #2 philips screw driver, being able to turn it with your hand well away from the case makes assembly much easier and less likely that you'll bump into something with your hand or cut it on a cheaply finished case.

lmao a 50$ ssd for 256gb when you can get 500 for the same price

14 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

lmao a 50$ ssd for 256gb when you can get 500 for the same price

But it won't have DRAM

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

5 minutes ago, Lurick said:

But it won't have DRAM

more space tho

like 250gb nvme vs 500gb sata w/ dram

A VEGA56 Build would have been nice as they are on sale for under 300€ in some regions.

VEGA64 are way under 400€...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

2 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

A VEGA56 Build would have been nice as they are on sale for under 300€ in some regions.

VEGA64 are way under 400€...

It's worth noting that this video was written and shot well over a month ago, and it looks like the price dropped from ~$400+ USD on Vega 56 down to ~$300 since then. Given that the RTX 2070 is $500, Vega would have been the pick if I were building it today.

love the video, but you plugging in the ground wire into the outlet had me literally jump in my seat. Now i know in North America the leads are not round and the ground is, but for any european replicating this, it could be seriously dangerous. Especially considering this is an educational video.

10 minutes ago, GabenJr said:

It's worth noting that this video was written and shot well over a month ago,

That's a long pipeline you have...

But a month ago, VEGA Prices were already dropping, at least over here...

Bought my V64 Nitro+ for 439€ and could have gotten it 50€ cheaper (or was it 70€ even? don't remember) A week or two later...

and it looks like the price dropped from ~$400+ USD on Vega 56 down to ~$300 since then. Given that the RTX 2070 is $500, Vega would have been the pick if I were building it today.

Yeah, you could do something else with VEGA.

Just show your users that VEGA is there and its not that bad.

Right now the cheapest ones are the ASUS with DVI.

PS:
I love the Verge References and how you called the thing "Tweezers" :)

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

24 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

That's a long pipeline you have...

This was from the week Linus was OoO, but the video had 3 different camera angles and screencap, so it took a while to edit and kinda got pushed as a result. Pipeline isn't normally that long.

35 minutes ago, GabenJr said:

It's worth noting that this video was written and shot well over a month ago, and it looks like the price dropped from ~$400+ USD on Vega 56 down to ~$300 since then. Given that the RTX 2070 is $500, Vega would have been the pick if I were building it today.

And Vega 64 has been around $420-440 the whole time. Considering the 2070 is only 10% more performance, the V64 would be better bang for the buck.

I also love how you completely landed on a good power supply by coincidence :/

Self promo, but check out the PSU Tier List???

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

builds best price/performance pc, uses Windows. biggest facepalm ever. 

the rest of the video was good though. 

She/Her

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

the rest of the video was good though. 

Ebay $6 key forever :P

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Just now, firelighter487 said:

that's still $6

that's still a bit better native game support, some driver optimizations and some more software being compatible

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

Just now, LienusLateTips said:

that's still a bit better native game support, some driver optimizations and some more software being compatible

it's not legal though. and as @seoz can verify the driver optimization is a thing of the past. a native linux game performs the same as the same game on Windows. 

She/Her

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

it's not legal though. and as @seoz can verify the driver optimization is a thing of the past. a native linux game performs the same as the same game on Windows. 

again, natively... a lot of indie games, and many other software don't have support last time i checked, but don't quote me on that

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

2 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

again, natively... a lot of indie games, and many other software don't have support last time i checked, but don't quote me on that

well Proton has come a long way. just look on https://www.protondb.com/ to see how many Windows games already run on Linux thanks to it. 

also if by many other software you mean adobe etc then yes, but the average gamer doesn't use that. if you just want an OS to play some CS:GO Linux is great because that game is natively supported. 

She/Her

7 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

And Vega 64 has been around $420-440 the whole time. Considering the 2070 is only 10% more performance, the V64 would be better bang for the buck.

I also love how you completely landed on a good power supply by coincidence :/

Self promo, but check out the PSU Tier List???

Not sure where Vega 64 was $420-440, everywhere I looked at the time had it for $500 (yeah, including PCPartPicker with no retailer filters). Anyway, it wasn't really coincidence that I landed on the Corsair CX, those guidelines mostly funnel you into it given its usual price point. The EVGA 500B would have also been in that range though, and isn't great. I would have commented on it had it been my choice; It won't really matter much at this performance level either way, but yes, something to be considerate of.

5 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

Meh, I said "IF you want to use Windows" :P I just used it for demonstrative purposes.

1 minute ago, GabenJr said:

Meh, I said "IF you want to use Windows" :P I just used it for demonstrative purposes.

that makes sense. but since Windows at retail price is pretty expensive IMO it would have made more sense to demonstrate using Linux. 

She/Her

44 minutes ago, CaphalorAlb said:

love the video, but you plugging in the ground wire into the outlet had me literally jump in my seat. Now i know in North America the leads are not round and the ground is, but for any european replicating this, it could be seriously dangerous. Especially considering this is an educational video.

Most people are intelligent enough to figure out that their outlet is different and to not shove shit into them willy-nilly in the first place.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)