High pitched noise which isn't coil whine

Hello, 

I've recently started to play so more resource intensive games where my computer can't keep up with the game anymore at 4K resolution.

I've got the 4k monitor for productivity so I don't mind a lower resolution for gaming.
So naturally I started turning down the resolution to 2K to get better FPS and to reduce the noise from my blower style graphics card.
BUT: 

As soon as I run a game in non native resolution a high pitched noise is present at all times.

The noise is "played" trough headphones or speakers no matter which audio output is used.

• Switching to different resolutions/settings causes different notes of high pitched sounds but the only way to avoid the noise is to run the game in 4K.
  • The high pitched noise is not dependent on the fps, as with the same settings at 200 fps or with a fps limiter at 60 causes the same noise.
  • I use the display port audio pass-trough of my monitor for my headphones and the standard audio jacks of the motherboard for my speakers but it makes no difference.
  • The most recent audio drivers from the Asus support page for my mobo are installed.

I'm starting to get really frustrated from this issue as it stops me from enjoying games I want to play.

Games I've noticed the noise:

• Satisfactory
  • World War 3
  • Star Citizen

The games are all early access where it would be easy to just say the game is the problem but those are also the only resource intensive games I play

as COD4 or Supreme Commander or other older games I play are no problem to run at 4k.

Hardware:

• Ryzen 1700x
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB
  • MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Aero
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero
  • Thermaltake 530W PSU