Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
quakeguy81

Zelda II: Adventure Of LInk A Bad Game?

Posted · Original PosterOP

It's so different from the other Zelda games.  Its combination of top-down overworld and side scrolling elements is just confusing.  The villages with people talking makes no sense.  The enemies aren't that difficult.  The dungeons are easy.  Am I the only one who hates this game?

I_am_Error.png

Intel Core i5 6600K @ 3.50GHz -- Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI-CF -- Team Group 16 GB DDR4 2400 (16-16-16-39) -- Gigabyte GTX 1070 -- NZXT S340 -- Windows 10 64-Bit

This was very much a let down of a sequel, most people were disappointed when it came out.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - Asus DirectCU GTX 760 - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

2 hours ago, quakeguy81 said:

It's so different from the other Zelda games.  Its combination of top-down overworld and side scrolling elements is just confusing.  The villages with people talking makes no sense.  The enemies aren't that difficult.  The dungeons are easy.  Am I the only one who hates this game?

I_am_Error.png

Just because it's different, doesn't mean it's bad

Also that NPC is a play on words. His brother is really named Bug, but it got transliterated as Bagu because that's the Japanese word for software bug and whoever translated it didn't know any better.

Zelda 2 easy? WTF? I've been replaying the Zelda games over the past year or so, Zelda 2 is the hardest of the lot. I still prefer it to the first one though. The top down map and side scrolling thing isn't that odd, the legendary Super Mario Bros 3 used it, and all the 2D Mario platformers that followed. But it is a style of game that was most popular in the 8 bit era, I can't remember a huge number of 16 bit games using it, so it may appear confusing to younger gamers who didn't grow up with it.

It's true Zelda 2 not the most highly regarded Zelda, but neither is the first one. The Zelda series didn't really hit it's stride until Link to the Past on the SNES.

On 5/3/2019 at 10:19 PM, quakeguy81 said:

Nintendo wanted to experiment with a new style. That is the official version of why they did it different.

On 5/3/2019 at 10:19 PM, quakeguy81 said:

This game is easily in my top 5 NES games of all time. I remember it being very confusing as a child but once I watched one of my best friends mom enjoy playing it, I was hooked ever since. I absolutely love the game and could play it over and over. Which I already have done hundreds of times. My favorite thing to do in the game is try to keep the thing that comes out the end of your sword when you don't take any damage for as long as possible. And of course finding all the items like the candle and raft and what not.

I suppose another reason I like it so much is because I have yet to put more than just a few minutes into ALL other Zelda games.

as NES games go in general, I didn't really think it was too bad. As a Legend of Zelda game, however, it doesn't really work as well as the other ones. There is a reason why Nintendo went back to the previous game's format.

It also inspired one of my favourite Brentalfloss songs:

I like Zelda II. It was hard as hell and I applaud Nintendo for not just trying to make the same game twice. Gotta be hard to go back to the drawing board and make something completely different when you have just made boatloads of cash from the first game. I don't like it as much as the top side scroller fighters of the era like River City Ransom, Shinobi, and Double Dragon (arcade version, NES one sucks IMO), but it was still a hell of a fun game with great music and sound and as a little kid it always made me laugh going in to plow a different woman in each village to restore my health. Never beat it though.

My system

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  Board: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition  GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-2400 CAS 11  SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB  HDD0: HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB 7200RPM

HDD1: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM  HDD2: WD Black 1TB 7200RPM  CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro  PSU: Antec Neo Eco 620C

On 5/28/2019 at 7:13 AM, EldritchMoose said:

-snip-

Oh man, Brentafloss!

When I hear certain Nintendo songs I still think of the "had lyrics"-videos. Especially the Dr. Mario song.

On topic, I have never played Zelda II and I have to admit Zelda I was not really my thing too. So don't have much of an opinion.

I think the right thing has been said here before too; it doesn't seem like a bad game, just a sequel (only canon sequel to Zelda I) in a series which has a different genre.

"There's no such thing as perfect. You're beautiful as you are Courage. With all your imperfections you can do anything." - Bathtub Barracuda

"How can someone win if winning means that someone loses" - Scatman John

"64 bits, 32 bits, 16 bits, 8 bits, 4 bits, 2 BITS, 1 BIT, HALF BIT, QUARTER BIT, THE WRIST GAAAAAAME!!!" - Angry Video Game Nerd

Gear:                           .                                                                                                                         .

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 || Motherboard: MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon || RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200Mhz (running at 2933Mhz) || GPU: Gigabyte Auros RX 580 4GB || Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || Cooling: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || PSU: Corsair RMx 750W

Peripherals:

Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT-990 250 Ohm || Mouse: Roccat Kiro || Keyboard: Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S RGB || Mousepad: CM Storm Swift-RX XXL || Graphics tablet: Wacom Intuos Pen Small

Old PC:

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 255 || Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO || RAM: 4x2GB DDR3 || GPU: Nvidia Quadro 512MB || Case: Antec Sonata III || PSU: Antec Earthwatts 500W Bronze

Minibois' Digital Art Thread

Reviews: Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S RGB || Wacom Intuos Pen Small || Roccat Kiro

Threads: Pokémon Thread || Dutch Talk || Super Smash Bros. Melee Thread

Setup: Current setup

I want to say i hate it but to be honest, looking back i played it way more than the first one.  I never did beat the game though.