Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doddsy7

BSoD after RAM upgrade

Try lowering your RAM speed to 3000 or 2800 MHz and see if it helps. I'm no expert in overclocking, but it sounds like your motherboard can't handle such high frequencies. I recently purchased an ASRock b450 pro4 motherboard, and only installed 1 8 gig stick clocked at 3000MHz. My motherboard forced it to 2133MHz, and I was unable to set it anywhere past 2733MHz. As it happens, it appears that the problem is in the RAM itself, not the motherboard, and you may have to RMA it.

Posted · Original PosterOP

I recently upgraded my RAM massively from some shitty 8gb 2400mhz to 32gb 3200mhz, and I went to use the docp setting and booted. Everything booted as normal and I went to play some games with my friends. Then when I was in game for about 30 seconds my PC blue screens. Now idk if that’s because my cpu voltage is unusually high for stock speeds or what but I don’t know how to change my cpu voltage properly as I’m still quite new to what is good voltage and what isn’t and what setting to change it on. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Try downclocking it first, if it still happens one of the sticks is probably faulty and you'll have to return your set. Happens to me once as well, nothing to do but return it. 

2 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

On of the stick maybe dead.

Go try Memtest86.

Read the manuals and test your memory.

Everything is detected so I doubt it’s dead 

3 minutes ago, Frenky said:

Try downclocking it first, if it still happens one of the sticks is probably faulty and you'll have to return your set. Happens to me once as well, nothing to do but return it. 

What to?

Posted · Best Answer

Try lowering your RAM speed to 3000 or 2800 MHz and see if it helps. I'm no expert in overclocking, but it sounds like your motherboard can't handle such high frequencies. I recently purchased an ASRock b450 pro4 motherboard, and only installed 1 8 gig stick clocked at 3000MHz. My motherboard forced it to 2133MHz, and I was unable to set it anywhere past 2733MHz. As it happens, it appears that the problem is in the RAM itself, not the motherboard, and you may have to RMA it.

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G RAM: G Skill Aegis 1x8gb DDR4 - 3000 (Probably should have gone dual channel, but was attempting to save every buck I could while still maintaining at least 1tb of storage) MOBO: ASRock B450 pro4 SSD: Inland 120gb HDD: 1tb WD Blue PSU: Corsair CXM 450w Case: Raidmax Galaxy (Pain in the butt to build with, but it's beautiful.)

Phone: Pixel 2 XL (Forced to switch from iPhone X, because my mom returned it. I got this from my uncle and couldn't be happier, it performs a heck of a lot better than my iPhone, never going back to apple now.) Idgaf about apple anymore, basically on cloud nine with this thing.

3 minutes ago, Doddsy7 said:

Everything is detected so I doubt it’s dead 

It's not about detection.

It's about the integrity of the memory.

Detected memory doesn't mean its healthy.

And it very normal pretty common for new memory to be dead on arrival, which you can quickly ask for replacement.

10 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

It's not about detection.

It's about the integrity of the memory.

Detected memory doesn't mean its healthy.

And it very normal pretty common for new memory to be dead on arrival, which you can quickly ask for replacement.

Oh right, I’m testing lower frequencies now to find out and I’ll get back to you if anything happens 

Try re-seating the RAM. They can be finicky sometimes. I've had similar problems that were solved by just taking it out and putting it back in.

Ryzen doesn't support anything officially over 2667 for Zen, 2933mhz for Zen+

Drop frequency to the numbers I just listed. (if you have already ran Memtest to confirm sticks are good)

Ryzen Rig 2: ASrock B450 Pro4 ATX, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker, Corsair HX850 PSU, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiator, 128gb Patriot Scorch NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Ryzen Rig 1: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37628874?

Dwight: The Mixed Metals Loop Media Center.  Ask me about it.

Micro Form Factor Dell OptiPlex 3040: Dell 0MGK50 A02, i3-6100T, 4gb DDR3 1600, Team Group 120gb SSD, Windows 10 Pro, Logitech K400+, M.2 Intel Wifi/Bluetooth

A couple laptops and tablets around the house

Ok so I underclocked my ram to 2800mhz and it’s stable now so thanks for the help