CHG90 49' Samsung Woes :/

mizfiter

Hey guys, 

I recently bought a Samsung 49' CHG90 (self bday present)(wife approved).

I currently have it hooked up to my GTX 1070 via display port cable it came with...

After using it for a couple of weeks (and loving it...kinda)- I get this weird issue that happens when I try to wake it up from sleep :(

See here: (image 1 / Image 2)

1. The screen comes back and goes haywire with artifacts, and basically becomes unresponsive (picture attached)

2. I can't access the OSD menu or anything. (monitor unresponsive)

3. The only way to get it back to normal is by hard reboot my computer (not monitor)(sigh) 

This right away concerns me, I have until May 14th to return it to Microcenter (which is a huge pain in the ass - its huge heavy monitor and its 45 mins away) 

I really appreciate any advice - I haven't called Samsung yet, wanted to see what you guys thought first. 

I spend a lot of money on this monitor and its just really annoying. I don't know if it is an issue with the monitor or maybe my 1070 graphics card?

Comments:

1. I tried reinstalling my GTX 1070 drivers... seems to not have helped... 

2. I wasn't sure if I should try updating my monitor's firmware? Not sure if it's due for an update? 

3. I thought maybe it was an HDR thing, so turned off HDR - it does seem to happen after I play a game (Battlefield 1) that automatically turns on HDR. And when it wakes from sleep...

Thanks all,

Steve 

----

Update 1: I updated the firmware and it actually seems to be working now... Samsung support told me to do so...

I forgot to mention that before I updated the firmware... it was showing up as 'Generic PNP Monitor' even with Samsung monitor driver installed...

It now shows correctly in device manager after updating the firmware as well... and being connected via (DP).

I am going to continue to test... I keep playing games and then putting it to sleep to see if it happens again. So far so good... I also just learned that the monitor comes with a 3 year warranty... Microcenter told me 1 year and then tried to sell me theirs... grrr

I also checked this out as well:https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/7kme4f/a_problem_with_the_samsung_chg90/

Thats an LCD failing to initialize. In extremely rare cases with noname monitors, feeding them a signal they can't display crashes the image processor in the monitor, but an expensive samsung ultrawide isn't a cheap noname monitor.

I'd return it ASAP, that's a defective display.

18 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Thats an LCD failing to initialize. In extremely rare cases with noname monitors, feeding them a signal they can't display crashes the image processor in the monitor, but an expensive samsung ultrawide isn't a cheap noname monitor.

I'd return it ASAP, that's a defective display.

Sigh - thought it was something to do with firmware or something ugh.. 

1 hour ago, mizfiter said:

Sigh - thought it was something to do with firmware or something ugh.. 

Yes well said iamdarkyoshi.. Sux to get a lemon like that on a 1k samsung monitor.  But to prevent future issues as iamdarkyoshi said return it and get a new one.  BTW the the new Samsung 49" 5120x1440 120hz HDR 1000nits just came out yesterday you can get it from B&H for 1500 dollars.  I can't imagine a video card being able to dish out triple digits frame rate in AAA titles. So 1440p will give black bars so will videos.  However the immersive experience is nice just like the CHG90.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

57 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

Yes well said iamdarkyoshi.. Sux to get a lemon like that on a 1k samsung monitor.  But to prevent future issues as iamdarkyoshi said return it and get a new one.  BTW the the new Samsung 49" 5120x1440 120hz HDR 1000nits just came out yesterday you can get it from B&H for 1500 dollars.  I can't imagine a video card being able to dish out triple digits frame rate in AAA titles. So 1440p will give black bars so will videos.  However the immersive experience is nice just like the CHG90.

Thanks for response man... Yea so, I updated the firmware and it actually seems to be working now... Samsung support told me to do so...

I forgot to mention that before I updated the firmware... it was showing up as 'Generic PNP Monitor' even with Samsung monitor driver installed...

It now shows correctly in device manager after updating the firmware as well... and being connected via (DP).

I am going to continue to test...  seems to be not doing it now... I have like 11 more days to test... 

2 hours ago, mizfiter said:

Thanks for response man... Yea so, I updated the firmware and it actually seems to be working now... Samsung support told me to do so...

I am going to continue to test...  seems to be not doing it now... I have like 11 more days to test... 

Interesting. I suppose maybe the original firmware had an issue where it didn't initialize the screen correctly.

Might just be in luck, hope it stays working!

3 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Interesting. I suppose maybe the original firmware had an issue where it didn't initialize the screen correctly.

Might just be in luck, hope it stays working!

Thanks man - Yea I have 11 days to test this puppy out further but so far so good ... I really appreciate the advice. I think the firmware was the trick... been playing games and putting it to sleep / and waking it and using freesync and all that so far so good.. 

22 hours ago, mizfiter said:

I have until May 14th to return it to Microcenter (which is a huge pain in the ass - its huge heavy monitor and its 45 mins away) 

Had to comment, that made me giggle. Some one obviously hasn't ever owned a CRT or Plasma before :P

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

On 5/4/2019 at 10:51 AM, SolarNova said:

Had to comment, that made me giggle. Some one obviously hasn't ever owned a CRT or Plasma before :P

lol :) true...

FYI.. Update #3 working great after firmware update.