Rene Ritchie throws down the gauntlet with Linus

Giiman95
On 5/5/2019 at 4:07 AM, mr moose said:

Why do you watch?

They used to produce good content. Scrapyard wars used to be really fun. Their content used to be really creative. 

I unsubscribed probably a year ago now.

Now I just watch the apple related videos just so I can come here and point out all the bullshit that they've come up with this week, like this clearly biased piece of crap video. It's starting to get hilarious in my eyes. Even linus's own videos are proving himself wrong and showing his bias and click-baiting tenancies. 

Do me a favor, go back, watch the macbook review videos, sure, then go back and watch some other thin laptop review videos.... then look at the comparisons made to the macbook.... particularity the comparisons when it comes to throttling... If you'll notice... especially in the graph above.... the macbook throttles less than similar competitors and completes tasks quicker. Hm... but I thought linus said it was slower? 

18 hours ago, corrado33 said:

They used to produce good content. Scrapyard wars used to be really fun. Their content used to be really creative. 

I unsubscribed probably a year ago now.

Now I just watch the apple related videos just so I can come here and point out all the bullshit that they've come up with this week, like this clearly biased piece of crap video. It's starting to get hilarious in my eyes. Even linus's own videos are proving himself wrong and showing his bias and click-baiting tenancies. 

Do me a favor, go back, watch the macbook review videos, sure, then go back and watch some other thin laptop review videos.... then look at the comparisons made to the macbook.... particularity the comparisons when it comes to throttling... If you'll notice... especially in the graph above.... the macbook throttles less than similar competitors and completes tasks quicker. Hm... but I thought linus said it was slower? 

I've done enough looking for myself to know whats what thanks.   If Linus pisses you off then stop watching, especially if he is covering a topic that gets you all riled up.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

i have lost the lust for the macbook, although i have owned one for a long time.

but i do agree with design and a parameter, and that is where i loose it a bit with linus´s reviews, since he talks down to people that actually like the design. 

But the same Linus, uses BUNCH of money on custom water loops (that give little to no performance boost, just better temps), RGB, fan´s that really arent nessecary..

for me it was not the power that made me go away from Apple, i just can´t agree with the new keyboard, and the cost. 

Also the extreme focus on the sustained loads, i really don´t think many mac users renders videos all day long. 

I still however don´t like when laptops throttles below base clock, i am okay with a lack of turbo, but base clock seems to be the least amount that a CPU HAS to do.

8 hours ago, RasmusDC said:

I still however don´t like when laptops throttles below base clock, i am okay with a lack of turbo, but base clock seems to be the least amount that a CPU HAS to do.

I wanted to point out this bit (and speaking in general). People seem to forget that turbo clocks aren't supposed to be guaranteed, but base clocks should be. If the computer can't maintain base clocks, then we have a problem.

On 5/13/2019 at 1:42 AM, RasmusDC said:

But the same Linus, uses BUNCH of money on custom water loops (that give little to no performance boost, just better temps),

This is completely false. You do get performance benefits. In a nvidia GPU for example you don't get the boost down clocks at around 55c. You also can push the farther in most cases.

Now on the CPU side depending in the chip there is also some solid gains to be had here. I mean between GPU and CPU you might only get 10 or 15 % more performance than air, but it is there if you have a proper loop. Now if you have a golden chip on CPU and GPU the gains can be a good bit higher.

I am surprised more people don't just run beastly machines and just remote in on a cheap laptop. You could also set up a home VPN and stream your games via something like steam (if you have the upload)

I mean I look at it this way. What is a decent macbook pro gonna cost me.. 1.5 -2k ish I am guessing.  That means I could spent 1500 on a very solid desktop and then pick up a 350-500 dollar laptop that has good storage, memory and processor.

22 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

I am surprised more people don't just run beastly machines and just remote in on a cheap laptop. You could also set up a home VPN and stream your games via something like steam (if you have the upload)

This requires a good connection on the remote end. Good luck getting one in a given public space.

49 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

This requires a good connection on the remote end. Good luck getting one in a given public space.

Fiber is becoming more and more available. You also will be seeing more channel bonding on the upload side for cable. So 150+ mbps should be a lot more accessible.

I mean it isn't like shadow is sending out 200+ mbps. They claim that only 15mbps of downloaded is needed to enjoy their service with good quality. 

For example I have a steam stream box and it is normally under 100mbps of usage by a decent bit.

Anyways I wasn't saying this is the solution all should take, just that it can be a viable and/or more powerful alternative.

Now the above is from a gaming point of view. For rdp it is MUCH lower.

On 5/20/2019 at 10:07 PM, AngryBeaver said:

This is completely false. You do get performance benefits. In a nvidia GPU for example you don't get the boost down clocks at around 55c. You also can push the farther in most cases.

Now on the CPU side depending in the chip there is also some solid gains to be had here. I mean between GPU and CPU you might only get 10 or 15 % more performance than air, but it is there if you have a proper loop. Now if you have a golden chip on CPU and GPU the gains can be a good bit higher.

No.. as the statement says, LITTLE to no performance boost. (please READ)

f.ex. my 1080TI ROG runs 2011 boost out of the box, no OC settings, and it is still power limited, as pr Nvidia spec´s.

so i might get 40 degrees (running 68 today) and i might get 2200mhz, if i am lucky in the silicon lottery, that would give me a small gain, but seriously not enough compared to the cost, AND the risk of running a watercooled loop...

i have been overclocking for 20+ years, and seriously it is just not worth it anymore, the gains are smaller, and software that autoboosts, also make it less usable.

so i stand behind my statement. 

On 5/20/2019 at 10:11 PM, AngryBeaver said:

My 3 Mb/s upload speeds won't let me :/ it works fine for compute tasks but it's not nearly fast enough for game streaming.

Also I wouldn't use that as a solution for normal tasks, you can't really be sure there will be a solid connection wherever you go and even the best remote desktop solutions have some intrinsic latency.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

5 hours ago, RasmusDC said:

No.. as the statement says, LITTLE to no performance boost. (please READ)

f.ex. my 1080TI ROG runs 2011 boost out of the box, no OC settings, and it is still power limited, as pr Nvidia spec´s.

so i might get 40 degrees (running 68 today) and i might get 2200mhz, if i am lucky in the silicon lottery, that would give me a small gain, but seriously not enough compared to the cost, AND the risk of running a watercooled loop...

i have been overclocking for 20+ years, and seriously it is just not worth it anymore, the gains are smaller, and software that autoboosts, also make it less usable.

so i stand behind my statement. 

We will have to agree to disagree here then. I don't consider 10% or more a minor benefit.

I have also been overclocking for roughly 20 years. The gains less because Intel for example is already pushing boosts as high as feasible and AMD needs every bit of clock speed it can get to stay competitive. 

Now I am not saying you can't get excellent results on air, but a good custom loop gives better results. This is due to how lower temps reduce electron migration meaning higher clocks at lower voltage.... lower voltage means less heat. 

Anyways let's look at this in a productivity setting and not gaming. If I gain 10% (at the low end) in an 8hr day that saves me 48 minutes meaning in a week I would save 4hrs of time or gain 4hrs of workload. That adds up quickly and makes that machine much more profitable and pays for itself in short order.