Buzzing sound around CPU, thoughts?

Hello all, 

I've just recently put together a new build and I'm experiencing some a buzzing sound directly around the CPU area. Reading about coil whine I've tried removing my GPU, unplugging all fans and even checking if the sound was coming from the m.2 ssd that's in the same area. It sounds like a cd writing or a mechanical hd almost, just more of a buzz that goes on and off constantly directly where the cpu is.

It's actually more annoying in windows as it goes on and off as under full load it's more of a constant buzz. I refused to believe it was coming from the cpu but with the side panel removed and almost everything unplugged I don't know what else it could be. 

What could it possibly be? It can't be the CPU correct? Could it be my NH-D15 or even my motherboard? This build is on my desk and maybe I just notice it more but I either want to do something about the buzz or move my pc to another location. Any ideas and/or has this happened to you? I appreciate the help, thank you. 

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor Purchased For $475.99
CPU Cooler Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler Purchased For $89.99
Motherboard Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard Purchased For $184.99
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory Purchased For $209.99
Storage Samsung - 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive Purchased For $126.67
Storage Crucial - MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For $95.99
Video Card EVGA - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB XC2 ULTRA GAMING Video Card Purchased For $809.99
Case Fractal Design - Meshify C Dark TG ATX Mid Tower Case Purchased For $89.99
Power Supply Corsair - RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Purchased For $109.99
Case Fan Noctua - NF-A15 HS-PWM chromax.black.swap 82.52 CFM 140mm Fan Purchased For $26.90
Case Fan Noctua - NF-A15 HS-PWM chromax.black.swap 82.52 CFM 140mm Fan Purchased For $26.90
Case Fan Noctua - NF-S12A PWM chromax.black.swap 63.27 CFM 120mm Fan Purchased For $22.90
Case Fan Noctua - NF-A14 PWM chromax.black.swap 82.52 CFM 140mm Fan Purchased For $24.90
Case Fan Noctua - NF-A14 PWM chromax.black.swap 82.52 CFM 140mm Fan Purchased For $24.90
Other Noctua NA-SAVP1 Chromax Anti-Vibration Fan Mount Set - 16 Pack - Black (NA-SAVP1 black) Purchased For $6.95
Other Cover Noctua NA-HC4 chromax.black per dissipatori di calore (per NH-D15, NH-D15S e NH-D15 SE-AM4) Purchased For $29.90
Other Noctua NA-SEC1 chromax.black 30cm fan extension cables Purchased For $9.90
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $2366.84
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-02 09:09 EDT-0400  

Does it sound like it's coming from the fan on your nh-d15?

2 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Does it sound like it's coming from the fan on your nh-d15?

I thought there could be a chance, unplugged all fans from the Noctua as well to test, still buzzing. It sounds like it's coming from either the bottom of the Noctua or around the cpu area.  

Did you make sure to take off the plastic from the nh-d15 before applying thermal paste to the cpu and mounting the cooler?

7 minutes ago, valvoa said:

I've just recently put together a new build and I'm experiencing some a buzzing sound directly around the CPU area. Reading about coil whine I've tried removing my GPU, unplugging all fans and even checking if the sound was coming from the m.2 ssd that's in the same area. It sounds like a cd writing or a mechanical hd almost, just more of a buzz that goes on and off constantly directly where the cpu is.

It's actually more annoying in windows as it goes on and off as under full load it's more of a constant buzz. I refused to believe it was coming from the cpu but with the side panel removed and almost everything unplugged I don't know what else it could be. 

What could it possibly be? It can't be the CPU correct? Could it be my NH-D15 or even my motherboard? This build is on my desk and maybe I just notice it more but I either want to do something about the buzz or move my pc to another location. Any ideas and/or has this happened to you? I appreciate the help, thank you. 

From what you've described it sounds like you might be experiencing coil whine from the inductors in the CPU VRM. See picture below to see where the inductors are located on your motherboard.
Coil whine won't hurt anything, but the noise can be annoying. If it's annoying you then your best bet would be to get in contact with Gigabyte customer support and ask for a replacement motherboard.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.4fba2d0fbab37c9c44da8244a0b51cde.png

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Yes, the plastic piece is quite large and stayed behind in the box when I removed the cooler. 

17 minutes ago, Spotty said:

From what you've described it sounds like you might be experiencing coil whine from the inductors in the CPU VRM. See picture below to see where the inductors are located on your motherboard.
Coil whine won't hurt anything, but the noise can be annoying. If it's annoying you then your best bet would be to get in contact with Gigabyte customer support and ask for a replacement motherboard.

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.4fba2d0fbab37c9c44da8244a0b51cde.png

Ah ok, so most likely it's this over the Noctua. Does the coil whine on inductors lessen in time or can it get worse? Thanks for the help. 

I've read that disabling C-States in the bios might help with coil whine on the motherboard. Question is what does disabling C-States actually do and will there be a performance loss if it is disabled. Maybe I can try this before deciding what to do with the board?