If Then Statement In Bash Not Working.

I am creating a bash script that installs programs and themes on Ubuntu Linux. Currently my script goes a little something like this:

GIMP=$" " gimp "Known as GIMP, GNU Image Manipulation Program is a free and open source photo editor." \

if [[ $GIMP == "gimp" ]]
then 
	sudo apt-get install $GIMP 
else
	echo "did not install gimp"
fi 

I am using ZENITY, which lets me open a text dialog box with columns, rows and check boxes.

The first part is my variable, where sets the variable GIMP as nothing or as "gimp". I have tested this and have confirmed that when I select the checkbox next to "gimp" it changes the value of the variable to "gimp"

The problem is that the if then statement is not working at all in the way it should, it always echos "did not install gimp".

Please don't argue with me, I am just trying to help, or be helped. (we are all humans right?)

56 minutes ago, Defunct Lizard said:

I have tested this and have confirmed that when I select the checkbox next to "gimp" it changes the value of the variable to "gimp"

How did you confirm this?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

13 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

i did "echo $GIMP"

Please don't argue with me, I am just trying to help, or be helped. (we are all humans right?)

Just now, Defunct Lizard said:

i did "echo $GIMP"

Just for sakes of completeness, try:

echo "\"$GIMP\""

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

13 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

echo "\"$GIMP\""

That also outputs "gimp".

44 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

30 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

echo "\"$GIMP\""

My point in saying "I have tested this and have confirmed that when I select the checkbox next to "gimp" it changes the value of the variable to "gimp" " is just to indicate that the problem is the if then statement and not the variable. @WereCatf

1 minute ago, Defunct Lizard said:

My point in saying "I have tested this and have confirmed that when I select the checkbox next to "gimp" it changes the value of the variable to "gimp" " is just to indicate that the problem is the if then statement and not the variable. @WereCatf

Alas, there is nothing wrong with the if-statement.

If statement if good. But I'm wondering about hidden characters that don't appear when echo'ing.

Try like this?

if [[ $GIMP =~ "gimp" ]]
then 
else
fi 

EDIT: sorry wrong operation initially

1 hour ago, WereCatf said:

Alas, there is nothing wrong with the if-statement.

Sorry, you are right. I checked again and:

GIMP=$" " gimp "Known as GIMP, GNU Image Manipulation Program is a free and open source photo editor." \

does not in fact work. I was confusing the automatic output of zenity and my own echo command. Is there something wrong with this ^. I've tried putting parenthesis around the code like this:

GIMP=$( " " gimp "Known as GIMP, GNU Image Manipulation Program is a free and open source photo editor." \ )

But is gives errors, whether I add a space in between it or not.

1 hour ago, DevBlox said:

If statement if good. But I'm wondering about hidden characters that don't appear when echo'ing.

Try like this?

if [[ $GIMP =~ "gimp" ]]
then 
else
fi 

EDIT: sorry wrong operation initially

This sadly also does not work. ?

6 hours ago, Defunct Lizard said:

Sorry, you are right. I checked again and:

does not in fact work. I was confusing the automatic output of zenity and my own echo command. Is there something wrong with this ^. I've tried putting parenthesis around the code like this:

GIMP=$( " " gimp "Known as GIMP, GNU Image Manipulation Program is a free and open source photo editor." \ )

But is gives errors, whether I add a space in between it or not.

Well, yes, there is quite a lot of wrong with that and I, quite frankly, have no idea what you're trying to do there. I just thought you had some copy-and-paste error, because that line looks all mangled-up.

4 hours ago, WereCatf said:

Well, yes, there is quite a lot of wrong with that and I, quite frankly, have no idea what you're trying to do there. I just thought you had some copy-and-paste error, because that line looks all mangled-up.

https://www.gnu.org/software/bash/manual/html_node/Command-Substitution.html

I'm trying to do a command substitution. The zenity code by itself works, what I'm trying to do is take the output of the code and set it as $GIMP.

@WereCatf

1 minute ago, Defunct Lizard said:

https://www.gnu.org/software/bash/manual/html_node/Command-Substitution.html

I'm trying to do a command substitution. The zenity code by itself works, what I'm trying to do is take the output of the code and set it as $GIMP.

But you have no command there. If you wanted to e.g. use cat to read a text-file and put the file's contents into a variable, you'd do:

myVar=$(cat myfile.txt)