1060 6gb used for one month for mining, Is it worth buying?

Shukolito

Hey guys!

A random dude is selling me a 1060 6gb for dirt cheap, the thing is that the gpu has been used for mining for one month, so I dont know if i should buy it, Im currently using a 1050ti and I have an ultrawide monitor so I want more performance, what do you think... Should I buy it?

Whats dirt cheap, does it work?

Chances are it wasn't just used for one month, lol.

Currently running with a MacBook Pro 14 2021, may build or pick up a gaming laptop again in the future. 

8 minutes ago, Shukolito said:

Hey guys!

A random dude is selling me a 1060 6gb for dirt cheap, the thing is that the gpu has been used for mining for one month, so I dont know if i should buy it, Im currently using a 1050ti and I have an ultrawide monitor so I want more performance, what do you think... Should I buy it?

Well you dont have much of a guarantee that it was actually only used for "1 month of mining". Linus and others did cover this when the crash happened last year (might help you decide if worth it since you havent mentioned the price of the card on here to know if it really is the upgrade):

CPU
Intel® Core i9 9900K 8 Core 16 Threads
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG Strix Z390-E
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB
Graphics Card
MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio

1st Drive

500GB Samsung 970 EVO NVME 

2nd Drive

1TB Samsung 970 EVO NVME
3rd Hard Disk
480GB KINGSTON HYPERX 3K SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 450MB/sW)
4th Hard Disk
2TB 3.5" SEAGATE SSHD, SATA 6Gb/s 7200 RPM

5th Hard Disk
2TB 3.5" SEAGATE SSHD, SATA 6Gb/s 7200 RPM
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RM SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET 
Processor Cooling
Corsair H150i Pr 360mm AIO

Case:

Lian Li O11 Air

8 minutes ago, Shukolito said:

Hey guys!

If it was only used for mining for a month then there should be no issue, the cards should still have years of life, unless this guy decided to mess with the voltages.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

9 minutes ago, TheSpaceOtter said:

Whats dirt cheap, does it work?

Chances are it wasn't just used for one month, lol.

Its 130.000clp that its like 191 us dolars

Just now, Shukolito said:

Its 130.000clp that its like 191 us dolars

new its 250.000clp

I vote yes.  I had a rig that mined for about 2 years at 100% constant load, only stopping for windows updates and cleaning.

Still using 2 of the cards now in different systems and sold 2 others to friends who are using them to this day.

3 were 1080ti and 1 was 1060 6gb

6 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

I vote yes.  I had a rig that mined for about 2 years at 100% constant load, only stopping for windows updates and cleaning.

Still using 2 of the cards now in different systems and sold 2 others to friends who are using them to this day.

3 were 1080ti and 1 was 1060 6gb

Thanks! I think i'll just go for it.

15 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

If it was only used for mining for a month then there should be no issue, the cards should still have years of life, unless this guy decided to mess with the voltages.

He told me that the gpu has been used less than a month and he didn't oc it, Im going to do some stress test to it and see how it goes...

3 hours ago, Shukolito said:

He told me that the gpu has been used less than a month and he didn't oc it, Im going to do some stress test to it and see how it goes...

A stress test will likely do little to reveal the condition of the card, what you should look for is a PCB flex, and take a good look to see how shiny the rear of the card is, otherwise there is little you can do.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!