Epic acquires Psyonix, will stop selling Rocket League on Steam

Psyonix is a long time Epic partner, working on a lot of multiplayer for Unreal for them over the years. This has less to do with EGS and more to do with the long-term company relationships. It's probably a good pickup for Epic, and I'm happy for the Psyonix team. There's a NoClip documentary about Rocket League's development, if you want more information. 

8 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

PUBG?

PUBG is owned by tencent (IIRC) which owns epic games

Just now, Firewrath9 said:

PUBG is owned by tencent (IIRC) which owns epic games

Oh right right. I forgot about that part. Well I can see where that one is going. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Capitalism - yall should speak with your Wallets.  You have all the power.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

It's like Tim Sweeney wants everyone to hate him

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

Epic games is just trolling all you virtue signallers bitter that your precious steam can't compete with their outdated business model.

The end result is hilarious for those of us with no skin in the game watching from the sidelines while you all cry and split hairs over one launcher vs another while being completely ignorant to the fact that DRM is still DRM regardless if steam some how brain washed you into thinking them championing the concept was okay.

Every time this subject is brought up it really shows the age of those involved. Never existing in a time when PC games were purchased once up front and launched by themselves.

But you know, keep fighting the good fight where all things not steam are evil and awful while turning a blind eye to the dumpster fire steam created for the gaming industry as a whole.

What does windows 10 and ET have in common?

They are both constantly trying to phone home.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

Epic: "we'll stop making exclusives once Valve pays the same way we do"

Also Epic: [buys studios a la EA to make exclusives]

Also also Epic: [makes employees stress over a shitty free to play game]

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 hour ago, ElectronicWizard said:

Looks like Epic Games has chosen to acquire another launcher exclusive in the form of acquiring Psyonix, the studio notably behind "Rocket League".

As such, Rocket League will no longer be available for purchase on Steam once it's available on the Epic Games Store.

If you already own it on Steam you should be able to keep it on your account and continue receiving updates, but if the deal finalizes, then going forward, it will have to be purchased through the Epic Games Store for on PC.

I hate that the catalyst for Epic even being a thing and causing this was because of kids liking Fortnite...

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

2 hours ago, MeatFeastMan said:

This just doesn't sit well with me. Once again stupidity (of 10 year old fortnite players) is causing nasty market dominance like this.

I don't want to live in a world where we have Nvidia getting away with murder, Amazon controlling planet earth and Epic Games dominating the gaming market. No no and more no..

Well, Fornite is pretty decent (tho community is trash) and Epic always had Unreal so.

52 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Actually, Epic was already a popular entity in the arena shooter gaming field and as an engine creator.  They co-existed as one of the biggest FPS makers next to id since the 90s.  Fortnite did help boost their popularity from there.  See Unreal Tournament and Championship.  Also, they're the developer of Gears of War too.  Fortnite didn't make them this thing overnight.

Fortnite dialed it to 11 though. In 2012 Tencent bought 40% of Epic and Epic was valued at $825M. They literally went from worth $5-8B in July (according to Blomberg) to nope, you're worth $15B in December (they had financing round and you can obviously see the difference in evaluation, but it's still a lot). Fortnite is believed to have made $2.4B alone last year. 

Mind you Unreal Engine is the big reason they are so big. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

8 minutes ago, Nowak said:

Considering the exact phrasing was

We reached out to Epic Games and Psyonix who have offered this clarification: "We are continuing to sell Rocket League on Steam, and have not announced plans to stop selling the game there." An Epic spokesperson added, "Rocket League remains available for new purchasers on Steam, and long-term plans will be announced in the future."

I consider it still likely that's an attempt to calm people down and then announce it in the future, but that's speculation rather than a fact. Just based on "long term plans will be announced in the future".

1 hour ago, Hellion said:

Epic games is just trolling all you virtue signallers bitter that your precious steam can't compete with their outdated business model.

The end result is hilarious for those of us with no skin in the game watching from the sidelines while you all cry and split hairs over one launcher vs another while being completely ignorant to the fact that DRM is still DRM regardless if steam some how brain washed you into thinking them championing the concept was okay.

Every time this subject is brought up it really shows the age of those involved. Never existing in a time when PC games were purchased once up front and launched by themselves.

But you know, keep fighting the good fight where all things not steam are evil and awful while turning a blind eye to the dumpster fire steam created for the gaming industry as a whole.

Steam has not caused the current decline in good "AAA" games (actually just a bit due to cs:go), but instead devs have decided to double down on things like ridiculous DRM and live service bullshit. I will fully grant you the fact that GoG is better for consumers, but it will most likely never get the popularity that it deserves, but enabling epic games is definitely not the way to fix the industry. Try not living in the past, but instead, create a better future.

8086k Winner BABY!!

Main rig

CPU: R7 5800x3d (-25 all core CO 102 bclk)

Board: Gigabyte B550 AD UC

Cooler: Corsair H150i AIO

Ram: 32gb HP V10 RGB 3200 C14 (3733 C14) tuned subs

GPU: EVGA XC3 RTX 3080 (+120 core +950 mem 90% PL)

Case: Thermaltake H570 TG Snow Edition

PSU: Fractal ION Plus 760w Platinum  

SSD: 1tb Teamgroup MP34  2tb Mushkin Pilot-E

Monitors: 32" Samsung Odyssey G7 (1440p 240hz), Some FHD Acer 24" VA

GFs System

CPU: E5 1660v3 (4.3ghz 1.2v)

Mobo: Gigabyte x99 UD3P

Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO

Ram: 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 C16 (3000 C14)

GPU: EVGA RTX 2060 Super 

Case: Phanteks P400A Mesh

PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650w

SSD: Kingston NV1 2tb

Monitors: 27" Viotek GFT27DB (1440p 144hz), Some 24" BENQ 1080p IPS

Here's something I don't understand. 

How exactly would exclusivity in this case help? It's not like Rocket League is a hyped new game or anything, but a game that's been out for years with an already established userbase. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

45 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

Here's something I don't understand. 

How exactly would exclusivity in this case help? It's not like Rocket League is a hyped new game or anything, but a game that's been out for years with an already established userbase. 

DLC fees. Rocket League has season passes and the like.

However, that's not really why Epic would be interested in Psyonix. Epic needs an in-house studios to make other games, as they're stuck with all resources going to Fortnite for a while and Psyonix has skills in shooters. So, for Epic, they get a new game studio for projects that already is up & running, a continuing revenue stream of an esports title (and the experience that goes with it), and they're already on great terms with the company they're buying.

I've really rather hated most of the EGS stuff, but this is actually a good move by Epic in general. Epic isn't EA and this mostly won't hurt Rocket League, as it's big on consoles.

10 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Snip

Seems that way on the business side of things. In that case, looks to have certain benefits that'll keep the company running although probably something that consumers may not like. 

Though why remove it from Steam? Doesn't seem like a typical move for a title that's been already on a platform with a large userbase on it. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

4 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

Seems that way on the business side of things 

Though why remove it from Steam? Doesn't seem like a typical move for a title that's been already on a platform with a large userbase on it. 

Because EGS is Epic's inhouse Launcher and they simply need to put it on there.  But there is the issue of DLC fees and the like, which might actually still happen on Steam. It's going to be kinda weird to see how this plays out.

14 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

It's going to be kinda weird to see how this plays out.

Yeah, this is definitely odd. 

It's not surprising if their future games were to be EGS only but it's definitely odd to see a game that's been played and sold on a platform for years being removed years later in favor of another. 

It's probably happened before, though usually not in any common manner. 

Oh dear. Steam currently sells a native Linux version of Rocket League for Linux users. Now people in the Linux community will no long be able to purchase a version which natively supports them. They will have to resort to work arounds like WINE or Proton to get the windows version working.

What a scumbag move.

Whether you care about Linux or not you should not make moves which hurt another community of PC gamers. The epic store should not be pulling games off other OS platforms, that's just toxic.

It's absolutely their right to not support all the platforms that Valve does, but they should not be preventing devs from selling on those platforms. They should be free to use other stores to reach those platforms.

I'd be surprised to find people who didn't own Rocket League already.

Also from what I've seen on Fortnite (My son plays a lot) they're introducing mini games so a full version of rocket league within Fortnite as just a new mode is not out of the question btw.

-------

Current Rig

-------

*sees people fighting over Epic vs. Valve => Thinks to himself  "don't blame me, I voted for Kodos" ?

I'll probably get Rocket League on Steam sometime later.

I don't know why, but I get the feeling that the EGS release won't be quite the same, especially since it lacks stuff like the Workshop as of now. 

ITT: Complaints of a non-monopoly taking games from a monopoly and feeling threatened by it