What convinced you to switch from Console to PC?

ImAyaanKhan
16 hours ago, Arika S said:

r/iamverysmart

I fail to see the relevance, there were no stupid observations, boasts of intelligence, or implications that my inability to use controllers makes me better. This is a thread asking why people switched, and I explained. Thanks to a combination of nerve damage and arthritis, the thumb-centric design of console controllers makes them impossible for me to use. If you don't have that problem, then good for you, enjoy using your controllers. Not sure why my desire for a comfortable gaming experience makes me a target for ridicule.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing, I'm still PC gamer. I just bought PS2 when it was basically going out of production so I could try Burnout series. And Gran Turismo 4. And Black. And Killzone. And that's about it. Haven't ever bought any other console for any exclusives. And probably won't going forward...

I couldn't aim on console (Overwatch) so I said fuck it.

Nothing. I own PCs and consoles.

CPU: Intel i5 3550           | Cooler: Corsair A50          | Motherboard: Asus P8Z77      | Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB   | GPU: GTX 1650                | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)  | PSU: EVGA 650W G2            |

Convinced me to switch

Thats kind of a hard question to answer. Growing up i had PCs and consoles galore, some of my fondest memories are playing zelda and mario64, but also one of my favorite games of all times is EV Nova, a mac game that got a PC port from the early 2000s as well. I also played the crap out of age of empires all while also playing the crap out of COD WaW on xbox. I guess though as I got older I got more interested in the greater variety of PC games and they catered more towards what I liked to play, RTS, RPGs, and FPS's. I mean sure consoles have all of those things, but they are far inferior experiences when exclusives and poor ports are taken out of the equation imo.

Eventually i've gotten to the point now where I game pretty much exclusively on a PC, just because its honestly the better platform and I'm invested far too much into it. Hell I spent like 300$ just a couple months ago to get marginally better microphone quality for streaming and what not lol.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I switched for 3 reasons.

Reason 1: I couldn't use a controller comfortably.

Reason 2: I got fed up of having no multiplayer.

Reason 3 (and the main reason): At the time I had just gotten a PC and I was fascinated by it. I liked the fact that I could look inside the PC and see all the components.

I also liked that I could do so many more things on the PC compared to my console. I could go on the internet, I could listen to music, I could watch movies. 

I loved the freedom that came with having a PC compared to a console.

To be honest, the only reason why I kept using my console(s) is because of Forza Horizon 1, 2 and 4 since I don't have them on PC.

the last console i had was PS2 and even then my older brother hogging it for his own most of the time and i have little to no time to even touch the PS2.....however

PC have emulators! meaning i can get to play games from different consoles as well as games i didn't get to play. sure i'm missing out some exclusives, but its not like i'm missing much since lots of games are multi platforms and PC have its exclusives too

the versatility. Some games are better off with controllers and some with K&M. so with PC i can use controller, keyboard and mouse, joystick, steering wheel. you name it

not to mention i can do work off of it. photoshop, programming, youtubing, movie, writing emails, office works blablablabla

right after i graduate, i simply save up money to buy a PC and that was it. i never care about any consoles anymore

Nothing. I still play more games on my handhelds than I do on PC. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Never switched.  Grew up playing MS-DOS games on old butt Packard Bell with Windows 3.1 (mostly Xargon and the Ultima series of games) and playing NES and SNES (duck hunt and the Mario games along with Killer Instinct and Street Fighter 2) when visiting my cousin at my Aunt's and Uncle's place.  Went from that to a mostly playing on a N64 and when visiting my other Uncle's place, I would get to play on the Dreamcast he had.  Friend had a PS1, so got to play the Twisted Metal series with my friend (I still miss playing Small Brawl).  When my friend visit my place, we would fire up the old Packard and play some old butt Tanks.  Later we both got Gamecubes and PS2s and played the crap out of those (PSO ep1&2 and Super Smash Bros Melee being the big time eaters).  Uncle got a Xbox, so I got the play Halo and Doom 3 in co-op mode online when visiting.  Later had a low end laptop that I would play SimCity 2000 on as well.  Uncle had SimCity 3000 and PSO BB, so I got to play those games too.  From there, welp I got a Xbox 360 and played the crap out of it (a lot of Borderlands).  Even had a Sandybridge that I played Skyrim on as well.  I'm still playing both consoles and PC.  Sig below shows the current brigade of all of the ones I have.

For folks that don't know what Xargon or Tanks are:

Played so much of this silly little game.  Super crazy when bouncy walls where turn on in the settings.

Spoiler

Tank Wars (1990) MS-DOS game

Xargon

Spoiler

Xargon [Epic MegaGames // PC MS-DOS // 1993]

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

2 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Grew up playing MS-DOS games on old butt Packard Bell with Windows 3.1 (mostly Xargon and the Ultima series of games) and playing NES and SNES (duck hunt and the Mario games along with Killer Instinct and Street Fighter 2) when visiting my cousin at my Aunt's and Uncle's place.

Wait, how old are you?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

My switch to PC from console was a gradual change, nothing directly encouraged me to transition, I just eventually got too spoiled to using Steam lol

Maybe it's because I do a poor job of keeping up with my CDs so I enjoyed an all digital library instead, I dunno.

In Eastern Europe, where I live, piracy is the order of the day. So essentially a PC offers you an endless amount of free games, movies, music, ebooks, TV shows, programs, etc. At the same time, a PC is also needed for work.

Consoles, on the other hand, require you to buy the system itself, buy games, buy a subscription to play online, all while having inferior hardware, being useless for work, and forcing you to use a controller. Unlike a PC, which you can upgrade peace-meal, a console is only upgraded by buying a whole new system.

It really is a no brainer. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.