Q2 2019 shows strongest iPad growth in six years

DrMacintosh
5 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

What about the most powerful SoC in a smartphone isn’t powerful enough? The A12X in the pros doesn’t even get utilized to its full potential in iOS. The design could have been updated, but again there is no iPad Mini Pro. 

It it is my belief that the iPad mini is not a Pro device because of its very consumer form factor. Apple also has the need to create product separation and adding another iPad to the already crowded lineup doesn’t help that. 

I do that the iPad mini and the iPad Air are in a weird spot right now, but the solution in my view is to lower the price of the $329 iPad down to $299 and give it the A11 Bionic. Not making other iPads cheaper or adding an entire new product. 

None of that changes the fact that both the Air 3 and Mini are horribly priced in the stack that they've been placed in.

The Air 3 should be lowered to around $350~ and the Mini to $300~. Or the Mini should be spec'd to a Pro and bumped to $650~. In their current state, they're plain and simply overpriced within their own universe.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

The Air 3 should be lowered to around $350~ and the Mini to $300~. Or the Mini should be spec'd to a Pro and bumped to $650~. In their current state, they're plain and simply overpriced within their own universe.

I simply don’t see where you’re coming from. 

The product stack starts at $329 and goes all the way up to $999. You can think that the Air and Mini cost too much, but what you’re really saying is that you think all iPads cost too much. In such an argument I can’t agree with you. 

Apple is a business, they aren’t going to price themselves out of the market they created. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

6 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

I simply don’t see where you’re coming from. 

The product stack starts at $329 and goes all the way up to $999. You can think that the Air and Mini cost too much, but what you’re really saying is that you think all iPads cost too much. In such an argument I can’t agree with you. 

Apple is a business, they aren’t going to price themselves out of the market they created. 

No, I don't think iPads are inherently priced too much. Just the Air 3 and Mini. They're both priced horribly compared to the previous generation, 2018 iPad, which for most people is just as good as the Air 3 (especially so when it launched).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

As an owner of an ipad mini* for about... 6 hours, I'd have two comments on the hardware design choices. One is that speakers are on one side only... the other is that there is a LOT of dead space around the screen. I don't think I'd want the device any smaller, but filling more of it with screen would be nice.

I've ordered a low cost 3rd party pen to play with next... think I'm getting sicked in? :D 

*Is there a preferred name for the current mini? Various places seem to call it mini 5 or 2019 model.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

8 hours ago, PacketMan said:

I mean, the iPad Pro are awesome devices (I don't care about the price, no one should give an unwanted opinion about how to invest or waste money), but I really thought that the cheap 300€ iPad would be their best seller with a huge margin over the Pro

I actually think that you can tell people how to invest or waste money. Not to be rude but say "You don't need an i7 to game." stuff like that.

6 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

That was mindfuck for me as well. Apparently their Q1 ends on 29. December. Basically they are one quarter ahead. I'll give free internet points to the person that can explain me WHY? Unless the answer is that they just decided to take fiscal year differently. Maybe same how Japan is 1 quarter behind, so their fiscal year starts on 1. April. 

Company quarters have nothing to do with absolute dates, they’re relative to when the company was incorporated.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

4 hours ago, Blade of Grass said:

Company quarters have nothing to do with absolute dates, they’re relative to when the company was incorporated.

It's just really weird how they decided to split fiscal year is all. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Nice. I've definitely seen more iPad use in public. I'd really like iPads to get more distinguishing features though. I have an Air 2 that is still plenty powerful. The new iPads are simply overpowered for the limited scope of ios. I think it would be awesome if the iPads were focused more on real productivity, even if it's just document writing etc. Something like the Surface tablets- a great media consumption device with more productivity features. 

That's an F in the profile pic

13 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

I think they wanted their Q1 to be the holiday season. What's wrong with the number 4 instead of 1, no clue

2 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

It's just really weird how they decided to split fiscal year is all. 

7 hours ago, Blade of Grass said:

Apple was founded on April 1.  That's why the fiscal quarters are different for reporting than the calendar year.

I have to say, I really like my iPad. I bought mine in December last year. Use it for watching twitch and YouTube in bed when I'm not on my PC. Phone screen is too small for me to enjoy using twitch/YouTube on it for extended periods. Plus battery life is much better on my iPad.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

8 hours ago, PacketMan said:

I meant when someone asks if it's worth the extra 100 euros for the 256GB version, no one should go and say "No you better go for the Windows Surface bcuz it's cheaper and it has USB ports and ", which is something I always see in these forums when it comes to Apple

When someone asks the same about the Samsung S8, S9, S10 there aren't that much people that actually say "no better go for the OnePlus/Huawei/Xiaomi/Oppo", unwanted suggestions aren't always welcomed and that's a fact, we've seen a lot of "I know I need an i9 9900K to ..." and that could get a suggestion as an answer if it's false for example to play with a very limited budget, but the "I want an i9 9900K but I don't know which motherboard to get" shouldn't get a "go for the i7 9700K. it's cheaper." answer

If you know what I mean, Apple products seem to get always this kind of answers and that's what I find weird that, despite all the hate for the price and the glorious 300€ iPad, it is still relevant for the sales report

Some times cheaper gives you more control and better bang 4 buck. Because Apple is overpriced.

3 hours ago, PacketMan said:

I never said that cheaper things can't be better, but when the design and usability are part of the equation, the "better" goes by each person

For example, the Logitech G203 Prodigy is way better than a lot of expensive mice out there, but if what you want is laser sensor, more dpi, a different grip, etc it isn't that good option even if it was half price

True, but nowadays the Apple advantage is less, with Windows 10 becoming better that the trash fire that was Windows 8, Linux coming 70 percent there to being a real compettoir, Android reaching feature-parity with iOS. If you look from a money perspective, Apple ain’t the best no more (though MacOS is still the best OS IMO cause *UNIX*). 

13 hours ago, Froody129 said:

Nice. I've definitely seen more iPad use in public. I'd really like iPads to get more distinguishing features though. I have an Air 2 that is still plenty powerful. The new iPads are simply overpowered for the limited scope of ios. I think it would be awesome if the iPads were focused more on real productivity, even if it's just document writing etc. Something like the Surface tablets- a great media consumption device with more productivity features. 

10 hours ago, sof006 said:

I have to say, I really like my iPad. I bought mine in December last year. Use it for watching twitch and YouTube in bed when I'm not on my PC. Phone screen is too small for me to enjoy using twitch/YouTube on it for extended periods. Plus battery life is much better on my iPad.

Froody, I agree. I have an iPad and I would like mouse support, so I can yeet my laptop (cause past run ups with airport bagging) away when traveling.

Sof, I agree, I love watching videos, browsing Internet (hell I’m wiriting this on it!), I hate how small phone screens are, and I have a laptop when I wanna use CLI/code.

7 minutes ago, FiveSquared25 said:

Android reaching feature-parity with iOS.

Good joke.

it’s really the other way around.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Good joke.

it’s really the other way around.

I know, I’m just saying for the iOS fanboys. I used both, iOS currently, but I’m switching to android when this phones finally dies.