"The future is private": Facebook announces plans for a new "privacy-focused" direction.

ZacoAttaco

SOURCE: https://thenewdaily.com.au/life/tech/2019/05/01/facebook-future-is-private/

Mark Zuckerberg has today announced a major redesign to their Facebook site with an added emphasis on user privacy. A slew of changes to Instagram and WhatsApp have also been announced.

Facebook boss Mark Zuckerberg has pledged to transform the company’s approach to privacy while revealing major changes to Instagram and WhatsApp.

With the slogan “the future is private” projected above him, the embattled social media billionaire unveiled plans for a “privacy-focused” platform in a speech to developers at the first day of the company’s annual F8 conference in San Jose, California.

Conceding that Facebook’s new commitment to privacy marked a “major shift” in the company’s direction, Mr Zuckerberg acknowledged that the social media behemoth had much work to do in order to rebuild trust with the global community.

image.png.7298d1905acebc5159725e7429d4e307.png

Zuckerberg conceded that Facebook hasn't done an excellent job keeping user information private and secure.

“I know that we don’t exactly have the strongest reputation on privacy right now, to put it lightly,” Mr Zuckerberg said at Tuesday’s conference.

However, the tech mogul said he believed the company has “what it takes to evolve”.

Facebook has come under fire from governments, technology experts, and users across the world for a litany of sins including privacy breaches, misuse of user data, and a failure to prevent its platform from being used to sew misinformation and spread political propaganda.

Facebook’s new privacy focus will centre around giving people spaces where they can “express themselves freely and feel connected to the people and communities that matter most”, a statement from the company said.

Full list of changes include:

Spoiler

Facebook

• Redesign: Facebook will roll out a redesigned site that’s “simpler, faster, more immersive” and puts communities at the centre. App users will notice immediate changes, with a new desktop site expected in “the next few months”.
  • Putting groups first: Making it easier to switch between public spaces and private groups where users can engage with “groups of people who share your interests”.
  • Secret Crush: A new feature called Secret Crush will allow users to select up to nine of their Facebook friends who they want to express romantic interest in. “If your crush has opted into Facebook Dating, they will get a notification saying that someone has a crush on them,” the company said. “If your crush adds you to their Secret Crush list, it’s a match!”

Instagram

• Hiding likes: The photo-sharing app is experimenting with hiding the total number of likes on photos and videos.
  • Shopping: Tipped to be a game-changer for online shopping, starting next week Instagram users will be able to buy products directly from creators without leaving the app.
  • Fundraising: Instagram users can make donations to non-profit causes through a sticker in Instagram’s stories feature, and create their own fund-raisers.
  • New camera: In coming weeks, Instagram will roll out a new camera design to make it easier for users to add effects and interactive tools.

WhatsApp

• Business catalogues: A new tool to connect people with businesses expected in coming months. Catalogs will allow businesses to “showcase their goods” within WhatsApp and chat directly to customers.

My Thoughts: While I think it's nice for Facebook and Zuckerberg to acknowledge their misteps when it comes to privacy and information security I think it's going to take more than a 'redesign' to really convince some of the more knowledgeable users to trust Facebook with any personal information. Right now, Facebook are probably one of the least trustworthy major IT company and certainly the least secure of the social media giants.

I also think features like 'Secret Crush' only sour my taste and feelings on Facebook as a platform. It seems like a potential privacy concern and something that I think may have even been mentioned on a WAN Show in the past. Anyway, post is just a quick recap of this article, don't have too many thoughts of my own at this point.

yeah.....we'll see.

the social media behemoth had much work to do in order to rebuild trust with the global community.

funny that they think there's trust to regain. think of it like a 1000 piece puzzle, throw it all into a woodchipper with the box, set the dust on fire, then try and put the pieces back together

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

This will happen when Half Life 3 releases.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

You mean like the last 10 times they announced they would care more about privacy and then proceeded to have another mindbending data breach?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

As long as Facebook can still find ways to profit off your data, it will never be actually private. 

Still have absolutely no regrets about deleting my Facebook account back in 2012, when they actually let you fully delete it. And I still do not intend to make a new one. 

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

The Secret Crush idea seems to be a ploy to attract teenagers back to FB. 

I've seen the lack of visible likes on insta, I don't really see why it matters. Unlike Reddit there's no downvote, so we need not fear community bandwagoning. 

Overall these features seem to me to have nothing to do with privacy. It's hiding a bit of data from the people you've allowed to see your stuff already (why?) and not doing anything about the core problem. That being that everything about you is sold to advertisers. That is why people don't use Facebook, except that they'll still go ahead and use Instagram. 

That's an F in the profile pic

51 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

You mean like the last 10 times they announced they would care more about privacy and then proceeded to have another mindbending data breach?

No, this time its real.

Because there is some new laws in the EU.

If they are found guilty of violating that, it would be not good for them.

But I hope that the EU does look into it and do cash in on Facebook...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 minute ago, Stefan Payne said:

No, this time its real.

Because there is some new laws in the EU.

If they are found guilty of violating that, it would be not good for them.

But I hope that the EU does look into it and do cash in on Facebook...

With the frequency of their scandals it might make sense to preemptively set up a sort of subscription model for their fines, like they just pay 3 billion euros a year regardless and they can have more or less scandals as their mood changes, that way things are predictable for everyone.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Translation from part of the VRT NWS article on this (original is in Dutch, I simply ran it through Google Translate)

After the presentation, the question remained how Facebook tackled the problems with fake news and dangerous content with these changes. What's more:

various experts conclude that Facebook seems to be shifting the approach to those problems to the owners of those groups that are becoming more important.

It seems even more difficult for Facebook itself to detect abuses, although Zuckerberg states that Facebook has automatic systems for recognizing suspicious patterns without scanning the content of private messages.

Source (in Dutch) : https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/nl/2019/05/01/de-toekomst-is-prive-facebook-kondigt-grootste-hertekening-va/

Facebook and privacy in same sentence. HOW? They are literally making billions of hoarding user data. It's impossible unless they become charity. Good luck with that. Besides, even if they'd miraculously do it or introduce paid plans that exclude you from data hoarding, I have about ZERO trust in anything they do so good luck with doing that.

And finally, no platform should ever be liable for what users post. This was always my issue and still is. I'm not talking straight up illegal stuff like pedo shit or piracy, I'm talking hate speech bullshit, dank memes and shit, the sort of thing that has different "value" depending on how you align politically or how open you are to speech. And this is where everyone loses their shit and freaks out where it should ALWAYS be down to users themselves to censor THEIR experience. It's why I deleted my Twitter coz I was sick and tired of constantly trying to coddle and protect me from words. I had all the stupid filters disabled filters and it kept warning me about sensitive content and shit. Just STOP it. Which is why I liked Gab more but everyone went the length of fucking it up because it's a "hate speech platform". Bullshit. Gab has bunch of tools so you can ON YOUR OWN design what you don't want to see and it'll filter that for you. Meaning, if I don't want anything to be filtered, it won't be. If you do, you can tailor it for your own views that don't affect ANYONE else. But I know for a fact expecting any of this from major hardline left aligned platforms is impossible at this point because they are already filtering it all and there is no way going away from that now.

What's even more absurd is how politicians and public DEMANDS even more filtering. Like, that New Zealand shooting, idiots expect Facebook to flawlessly block such content as the shooter was live streaming or something. People who have no knowledge of technology and fact it's just not doable are demanding such things. Oh well then...

It doesn't sit right when the word "embattled" is  used to describe a successful billionaire who doesn't have to worry about money again (or thinking for that matter).

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

None of those changes seem like major shifts towards greater privacy...

If Zuckerberg really wants to increase privacy for others, his best option is to burn all the Facebook servers (including backups), then melt any remains down into a giant puddle of molten bullshit, then jump right in. then move into a technology free cave and stay there for the rest of his life.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

What else do people expect in light of breaches/exposure.... 

"From this day forward, Facebook will continue allowing privacy breaches and continue being utter cunts"

DISCLAIMER 

Everything i say is my own opinion. So if you disagree with what I post, you are wrong. 

Facebook being "private" is utter nonsense and is just Facebook attempting to regain some credibility, unfortunately for them they failed miserably.

I'll believe it when I see it. I don't care about Zucc's 'plans' for it all; I want to see it actually implemented before I'll believe he's shifted to be more focused on privacy.

So, basically, I'll never believe it. :B

Facebook = private

5aa68593eeece_Idontbelieveyou.-Imgur.gif.b20780344df9848f33a08d4eb65bbb96.gif

CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz Processor | CPU Air Cooler:Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE | Motherboard:MSI B450M GAMING PLUS MATX AM4

Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2x16GB)  DDR4-3200 | GPU:ASRock Radeon RX 5500 XT 8GB Phantom Gaming D OC

Storage #1:Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD | Storage #2: Silicon Power A60 1TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVMe

Case:Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L | Case Fan: 3x Thermalright TL-C12C (2x intake fans, 1x exhaust fan)

Power Supply:Corsair CXM (2015) 450W Bronze 80 Plus |OS:MS Windows10 (64-bit) | Monitor: ASUS VG275 27” 1080p 75 Hz FreeSync

4 hours ago, mr moose said:

It doesn't sit right when the word "embattled" is  used to describe a successful billionaire who doesn't have to worry about money again (or thinking for that matter).

Poor Zuck! I'm sure he's shivering with apprehension and nerves in his cushy, luxurious bed in one of his opulent mansions. 

Us little people must have sympathy for the embattled billionaires in society. 

/s

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

Yeah right this is all a trap to get people sharing more person information in his so called "private" groups. Also I can tell you one thing all the self centered people on Instagram aren't going to like not having a way to compare themselves to others anymore.  94003530-0b54-0134-e750-0a315da82319.jpg

If for some reason they actually do follow through, then great, that's good for the internet as a whole. However, I have no expectation whatsoever that that will happen. That's literally just Facebook saying "We are resolving to make business decisions that will dramatically cut our revenue. Trust us."

That said, it could potentially be possible if they are in danger of massive revenue-based fines* (similar to what GDPR does), or even criminal action being taken (less likely), that they would basically be forced to do this, and are making it a big spectacle to look good in the media for once.

*Revenue-based fines specifically, as any flat fine would be completely ineffective at curbing the behavior.