Lenovo T480s or T490s

Hey guys,

I need a new laptop and I wonder which one of these two is better.

T480s

i7 8550U

16GB RAM

GPU: MX 150

WQHD Display

T490s

i7 8565U

16GB RAM

GPU: Intel HD 620 (which is weaker than the MX 150)

WQHD Display

This seems to me that the T490s is weaker than the older notebook in graphics at least. Am I right?

Is there any Lenovo user that can help me in this decision?

21 minutes ago, Hip said:

Hey guys,

T480s

i7 8550U

16GB RAM

WQHD Display

T490s

i7 8565U

16GB RAM

WQHD Display

This seems to me that the T490s is weaker than the older notebook in graphics at least. Am I right?

How much more is the t490s?  It's better in both CPU and GPU.  But is it worth it...?

T490s has non-upgradable RAM and no dGPU option

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

9 hours ago, TheGlenlivet said:

How much more is the t490s?  It's better in both CPU and GPU.  But is it worth it...?

100 € more

@GeneXiS_X So when I take 16GB Ram I can't upgrade to 24GB later??

54 minutes ago, Hip said:

So when I take 16GB Ram I can't upgrade to 24GB later?

Yes. But you can upgrade in T480s (one free slot, another one soldered)

Also: i5 is enough, you can upgrade RAM/SSD after purchase to save cost

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

58 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Yes. But you can upgrade in T480s (one free slot, another one soldered)

Also: i5 is enough, you can upgrade RAM/SSD after purchase to save cost

Actaually the "highend" version is way cheaper for me because I buy it from campus program.

Is the dGPU a problem at all in the T490s?

18 minutes ago, Hip said:

campus program

Oh ok. I thought you customize through their website

18 minutes ago, Hip said:

Is the dGPU a problem at all in the T490s?

If your workload don't require much GPU power then not a problem

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Oh ok. I thought you customize through their website

If your workload don't require much GPU power then not a problem

Do you know if it's possible to connect an eGPU to it?

14 hours ago, Hip said:

Hey guys,

T480s

i7 8550U

16GB RAM

WQHD Display

T490s

i7 8565U

16GB RAM

WQHD Display

Speaking purely as a Lenovo fanboy, I'd go for the T480S. The T490S is an abomination that ditches the traditional ThinkPad "buy now, upgrade later" mentality in favor of an Apple-like "upgrade now or forever hold your peace" approach. I'm saving up for a T480S. A T490S...let's just hope the inevitable T4010S rights the wrongs of its predecessor and returns ThinkPads to what differentiates them from Apple; what makes them ThinkPads.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 hour ago, Hip said:

Do you know if it's possible to connect an eGPU to it?

Both are possible, however T480s has only 2 PCIe lanes over TB3

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, aisle9 said:

Speaking purely as a Lenovo fanboy, I'd go for the T480S. The T490S is an abomination that ditches the traditional ThinkPad "buy now, upgrade later" mentality in favor of an Apple-like "upgrade now or forever hold your peace" approach. I'm saving up for a T480S. A T490S...let's just hope the inevitable T4010S rights the wrongs of its predecessor and returns ThinkPads to what differentiates them from Apple; what makes them ThinkPads.

What makes them Thinkpad is that the people who buy them can actually think.

As for the modern thinkpad, yeah, it's pretty disappointing. I wish modern hardware can be powerful without sacrificing upgradability.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

3 hours ago, Fatih19 said:

What makes them Thinkpad is that the people who buy them can actually think.

As for the modern thinkpad, yeah, it's pretty disappointing. I wish modern hardware can be powerful without sacrificing upgradability.

I've seen some Lenovo disciples who are as bad as Apple fanboys, insisting that the -40 trackpad was great despite lacking physical buttons, the -30 and later island-style keyboard is as good as the old seven-row, that the T25 was a good idea and a worthwhile purchase, and that the corners cut during creation of the -90 series were all worthwhile and make for a better, more streamlined product family.

In reality, imo, the trackpad without physical buttons was a joke (and Lenovo agreed), the island-style keyboard is the best laptop keyboard out there today but pales in comparison to the seven-row, the T25 was a massive marketing gimmick and offered virtually nothing noteworthy about the $2,500-ish product aside from going back to the old seven-row keyboard, and the corners cut during the -90 were all in the interest of using a single motherboard design for both the X390 and T490 to cut costs, meaning both systems are badly gimped.

Lenovo's done a lot of amazing things and the people I know who really use their laptops are out there spending $800-1,500 on a new ThinkPad (or spending a lot less on a used one in great shape). The few people I know who've dropped over $1K on an Apple craptop are using them for word processing, email, web browsing and YouTube. You know, things you can do with a $199 Chinese netbook from AliExpress.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

2 hours ago, aisle9 said:

I've seen some Lenovo disciples who are as bad as Apple fanboys, insisting that the -40 trackpad was great despite lacking physical buttons, the -30 and later island-style keyboard is as good as the old seven-row, that the T25 was a good idea and a worthwhile purchase, and that the corners cut during creation of the -90 series were all worthwhile and make for a better, more streamlined product family.

In reality, imo, the trackpad without physical buttons was a joke (and Lenovo agreed), the island-style keyboard is the best laptop keyboard out there today but pales in comparison to the seven-row, the T25 was a massive marketing gimmick and offered virtually nothing noteworthy about the $2,500-ish product aside from going back to the old seven-row keyboard, and the corners cut during the -90 were all in the interest of using a single motherboard design for both the X390 and T490 to cut costs, meaning both systems are badly gimped.

I don't know much about T-Series, I mostly harbor toward the X-Series, but yeha, I have agree with this point. They did remove physical button on the X240 but later reinstall them on the X250 so yeah.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |