Where to buy windows 10 key codes?

vladonizer

I have a windows 10 home install disc from a PC I built. Is there a place I can buy a key code for cheaper then buying the whole OS for $100? Of course I want it to be a legitimate site that you have used

If you want a 100% genuine code, getting one from Microsoft direct is the only option. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

Agreed. and honestly... download the current W10H ISO from Microsoft. If it's on a disk, it's outdated.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

3 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

If you want a 100% genuine code, getting one from Microsoft direct is the only option. 

Ugh. I hate that you have to spend over $100 for every PC you build if you already have the installation stuff and just need a code

1 minute ago, vladonizer said:

Ugh. I hate that you have to spend over $100 for every PC you build if you already have the installation stuff and just need a code

You can always leave it deactivated until you have the funds to buy a code. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

Just now, vladonizer said:

You know that you don't really need a license nowadays, a small watermark on the bottom right and not being able to replace the dekstop wallpaper are pretty much the only consequences.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, vladonizer said:

the OEM keys are for geared more for custom builders where THEY are the OEM for a system they sell.

The Retail key is for personal builders like yourself. You can try to call up microsoft and unlist the MB they have on record if you are changing it due to failure.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

8 minutes ago, vladonizer said:

I mean, thats how software licensing works.

They make the code, they set the rules and prices. There are other options aswell, its just about 100 for a retail copy of win 10.

18 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

You know that you don't really need a license nowadays, a small watermark on the bottom right and not being able to replace the dekstop wallpaper are pretty much the only consequences.

Plus if you use programs like Wallpaper engine on steam you can use them to change the background.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

25 minutes ago, vladonizer said:

Plenty of keys online to be bought like €10-25 and work fine

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

41 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

the OEM keys are for geared more for custom builders where THEY are the OEM for a system they sell.

The Retail key is for personal builders like yourself. You can try to call up microsoft and unlist the MB they have on record if you are changing it due to failure.

Well I build PCs for friends and family, not replacing mine

3 minutes ago, vladonizer said:

If your making a lot of computers, you can call up microsoft and get a volume deal from them, you normally get discounts.

Also if your reselling lots of systems you probably want to check with microsoft, as they get kinda unhappy if they keys aren't good on systems being sold.

20 minutes ago, vladonizer said:

Still not a use for OEM keys, select businesses and desktop retailers purchase OEM keys from Microsoft. I mean you can get them for cheap on the grey market but it's not really something anyone would recommend you don't know if you're getting a bad key or if it's stolen or what it's a hefty risk. If you're building PCs for family and friends just charge them for a full retail copy along with the price for the computer other wise explain that you can get it free but they'll have to pay for a license later on down the road if the watermark bothers them.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

15 hours ago, vladonizer said:

Home OEM is $90USD. Pro OEM is $150USD. Tgose are actual real prices if you buy key from Amazon for example. Or some other better place selling OEMs. Retail keys are $150-$200USD.

15 hours ago, vladonizer said:

Whats the difference? I don't support grey market, thats what I said to my dad when he asked how much it would cost to upgrade their home desktop.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Do you have any unused Windows 7/8/8.1 retail licenses?  The free upgrade still works, and doesn't require the previous OS to be installed.

On 4/30/2019 at 10:12 PM, Princess Luna said:

Wrong it overlays on everything from what I know

3 hours ago, TehPlayer14 said:

Wrong it overlays on everything from what I know

That is right. And using not activated copy of system is the same illegal as using pirated activators.

I'm wonder why moderators here blocks posts about activators and leave posts like "use Windows not activated". It's very easy to check is it legal or not - just by reading EULA on official Microsoft website (updated one). CTRL+F and search for "activated". Easy enough? So why that theories that it's legal if everyone can check that in ten seconds? Probably because people wants to know better without checking real source of information.

On 4/30/2019 at 4:04 PM, vladonizer said:

I have a windows 10 home install disc from a PC I built. Is there a place I can buy a key code for cheaper then buying the whole OS for $100? Of course I want it to be a legitimate site that you have used

Hey there! I know I am a little late to the party, but I wanted to offer a little input.

First off, getting the OS directly from Microsoft and paying $100+ for a retail copy of Windows is not the only legitimate way to do it. You can buy OEM keys directly from resellers on ebay for $5. I got mine when I built my gaming PC (a key for Windows 10 Pro) and it works perfectly.

What's the difference between a retail key and an OEM key? Retail is a version that is meant to be sold directly to the general public, and OEMs are sold in bulk to computer buidlers (think Dell, HP, etc). That's the only difference. Microsoft will still support your OS, you have all the same features etc. (I once actually had to get remote support on my computer, and the Microsoft employee checked my key and confirmed it was valid.)

If you want to get a key on the cheap, that's the best option. Look for eBay seller with good reviews, and a guarantee on the key. You won't be disappointed!

Also, @homeap5 is completely mistaken. Using an non-activated copy of Windows is not illegal at all, nor is using a copy activated by a "pirated activator".

First off, in the USA at least, piracy falls under 2 categories, civil and criminal. Recreating something and selling it is a criminal violation, and can result in jail time, fines, etc. This is very illegal. A good example of this is making discs with pre-activated copies of Windows that you illegitimately activated and then selling them. That's illegal, according to the Copyright Act (17 USC § 506).

Civil rules are quite different. If you use an unactivated copy of Windows, or activate it illegitimately, that violates Microsofts EULA policy, but it isn't illegal. You can't be jailed nor fined. What can happen? At worst, Microsoft could take you to court and sue you for damages, and make you pay for the copy of Windows you didn't buy a key for. But of course, that isn't going to happen, because Microsoft doesn't go after one person here and there who doesn't activate Windows. They don't have resources, and it frankly isn't worth their time. I'm not telling you to pirate Windows of course, but don't worry that you are breaking the law, because that isn't how the law works. I've said it many times before: EULAs are not laws, they are contracts. A company cannot write its own laws.

Anyway, I hope that helps! Anything else, please let me know.

6 hours ago, Kescarte DeJudica said:

Also, @homeap5 is completely mistaken. Using an non-activated copy of Windows is not illegal at all, nor is using a copy activated by a "pirated activator".

First off, in the USA at least, piracy falls under 2 categories, civil and criminal. Recreating something and selling it is a criminal violation, and can result in jail time, fines, etc. This is very illegal. A good example of this is making discs with pre-activated copies of Windows that you illegitimately activated and then selling them. That's illegal, according to the Copyright Act (17 USC § 506).

Civil rules are quite different. If you use an unactivated copy of Windows, or activate it illegitimately, that violates Microsofts EULA policy, but it isn't illegal. You can't be jailed nor fined. What can happen? At worst, Microsoft could take you to court and sue you for damages, and make you pay for the copy of Windows you didn't buy a key for. But of course, that isn't going to happen, because Microsoft doesn't go after one person here and there who doesn't activate Windows. They don't have resources, and it frankly isn't worth their time. I'm not telling you to pirate Windows of course, but don't worry that you are breaking the law, because that isn't how the law works. I've said it many times before: EULAs are not laws, they are contracts. A company cannot write its own laws.

That's great that you're living in a country where apparently are no anti-piracy laws and only Microsoft itself can take you to court. But you're wrong.

As far as I know, anti-piracy laws gives police prosecution rights and if you're using software without license, you must pay the penalty. EULA is policy that you agree to follow while you decided to using their software. It's like using any other software without license - it's against the law, not just against some not important internal company policy. In this case EULA is the law and using Microsoft unactivated is against the law. So no - you're wrong. It IS illegal, unfortunatelly. Even if I'm pro-piracy guy, who knows that piracy is a reason that we have such good computers, I also know that it's no longer 1980 and law is different now. You don't must to sue me if I'm using your software without pay, now you (as a programmer) are protected by law.

7 hours ago, homeap5 said:

That's great that you're living in a country where apparently are no anti-piracy laws and only Microsoft itself can take you to court. But you're wrong.

As far as I know, anti-piracy laws gives police prosecution rights and if you're using software without license, you must pay the penalty. EULA is policy that you agree to follow while you decided to using their software. It's like using any other software without license - it's against the law, not just against some not important internal company policy. In this case EULA is the law and using Microsoft unactivated is against the law. So no - you're wrong. It IS illegal, unfortunatelly. Even if I'm pro-piracy guy, who knows that piracy is a reason that we have such good computers, I also know that it's no longer 1980 and law is different now. You don't must to sue me if I'm using your software without pay, now you (as a programmer) are protected by law.

I'm not sure what country you are living in or referring to, if you would say, it would be very helpful. But in the United States, that is not the case at all. Not only is that not what the law dictates (as I already referenced) but there is no recorded incident of police prosecution for software piracy either.

Please check up on your facts next time when submitting forum posts.

1 hour ago, Kescarte DeJudica said:

I'm not sure what country you are living in or referring to, if you would say, it would be very helpful. But in the United States, that is not the case at all. Not only is that not what the law dictates (as I already referenced) but there is no recorded incident of police prosecution for software piracy either.

Please check up on your facts next time when submitting forum posts.

I really want to know how it works in USA. From what you're saying - it's almost legal to use unlicensed or cracked software.

So please - give me some facts I can read.

I can found few websites with informations, but not enough.

For example: link.

And what I read there is that "software piracy is considered a federal crime". And "unlicensed use is the most common type of piracy with home users and businesses". So it seems to be very serious - using unlicensed software is piracy and piracy is federal crime. At least I understand it that way. Am I wrong?

You're saying that only Microsoft can sue you if you're using pirated or unlicensed copy of Windows, but these facts you're talking I should check up, says something different. "Federal crime" sounds more serious that civil trial.

I swear some people spend more time trying to scare people from using a computer, or there's just alot of Microsoft employees around here.  The "gray" market is the sweet spot. You get a physical wrapped key.  Compared to black market is just an email of a key that was probably stolen. But we can keep playing the i want to build windows 10 computers forever concept.  Wouldn't want to deplete the stock too soon. Might need to plan for that ryzen 19+ coming soon enough.  Which by then the cache could be so big windows 11 might comebuilt in with a 256 core APU with crossfire.

I think I will just buy mine off of amazon, everything else is too grey on whether it's legal or not. Better safe than sorry

8 hours ago, Animal901 said:

I swear some people spend more time trying to scare people from using a computer, or there's just alot of Microsoft employees around here.  The "gray" market is the sweet spot. You get a physical wrapped key.  Compared to black market is just an email of a key that was probably stolen. But we can keep playing the i want to build windows 10 computers forever concept.  Wouldn't want to deplete the stock too soon. Might need to plan for that ryzen 19+ coming soon enough.  Which by then the cache could be so big windows 11 might comebuilt in with a 256 core APU with crossfire.

I agreed with you at the start, but you lost me as you went on. I think you were being factious towards the end there, but your point is right. This whole legal discussion is silly, because the law is crystal clear that none of this is "illegal" at all. 

8 hours ago, homeap5 said:

I really want to know how it works in USA. From what you're saying - it's almost legal to use unlicensed or cracked software.

So please - give me some facts I can read.

I can found few websites with informations, but not enough.

For example: link.

And what I read there is that "software piracy is considered a federal crime". And "unlicensed use is the most common type of piracy with home users and businesses". So it seems to be very serious - using unlicensed software is piracy and piracy is federal crime. At least I understand it that way. Am I wrong?

You're saying that only Microsoft can sue you if you're using pirated or unlicensed copy of Windows, but these facts you're talking I should check up, says something different. "Federal crime" sounds more serious that civil trial.

I quoted to you the section of the Copyright Act that I took that information from, and you are free to look it up and read it for yourself. I'll link you to a copy of it, in case you are having trouble finding it:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/506

Here's the problem with many websites, like itstillworks.com, the site you quoted. They use terms like "illegal" and "crime" quite interchangably without distinguishing between criminal law and civil law, which results in a lot of misinformation.

You're right on the first part. Using unlicensed software is piracy. But piracy in that context is not a federal crime, it is a federal offense. What's the difference? A crime means that you are breaking the law, and that you are a criminal, and can be prosecuted by criminal enforcement agencies (the FBI, the local police department, etc.). An offense can be either civil or criminal. So, all piracy is an offense, but not all of it is a crime. Some is a criminal offense, some is a civil offense. It is very important to make that distinction.

If you take another look at that article, under the sections: "Damages to Copyright Holder" and "Federal Penalties" you can see that the type of offenses they are referring to are civil offenses. Now what is different about civil offenses is this is using unlicensed versions of software for personal use, in violation of the Terms of Service that the company who owns the software has created for it. Unlicensed/cracked/illegitimate software is very commonly called illegal software, but calling it that is correct because it isn't against the law. A civil offense is not an offense to the law, it is an offense to another party. This gives the offended party legal damages that they can take you to court over, but you haven't actually broken any law. You don't have a criminal record, you are liable for jail time or government fees, and you cannot be arrested. You are only legally liable for damages caused by your actions.

Let me give another example to make it a little easier to understand. Let's suppose you do not enclose your property (your house and lot) with a fence, and someone walks through your yard and injures themselves. You are liable for damages caused by negligence and the lack of proper safety measures on your property, but you haven't broken the law, because it is perfectly legal to own property without having to put a fence around it. Does that make sense? Legal liability and breaking the law are not the same thing.

Now, if you take a look at the next section "Criminal Piracy" you'll see they are referring to selling "illegal software". This is actually a crime, a criminal offense, and a pretty serious one. As it states in the portion of the Copyright Act that I have linked above, infringing a copyright for the purpose of commercial advantage or private financial gain is against the law. That's what "criminal piracy" actually is. Not using cracked or unlicensed software, but rather selling it.

You're actually quite right. It is almost legal to use unlicensed and cracked software. In fact, it is perfectly legal as far as criminal offenses are concerned. You never have to worry about getting into trouble with the police or having a criminal record (not to mention jail time/fines) when using such software, but you are always at risk of being taken to court by the copyright holder. Whether that risk is worth it is up to you. I'm not condoning such activity or trying to encourage it, I just don't want people being misinformed of the potential consequences.

Hope you found that helpful.