Powering the Sennhieser 58X

TheFlyingSquirrel

My Asus Xonar STX is probably going as I am moving to ITX. 

Now i need to drive my 58x, am4 itx motheboard don't seem to have a decent dac but i may be ignorant. 

Any low cost solution to drive my 150omhs would be much appreciated. 

I like stuff like Modi3 but it is 70ohms.

[Update] Thanks for all of your comments, i decided to keep the Xonar Stx and go MATX.  Until I get the opportunity to listen to some External DAC and AMPs first hand, i wont take the plunge. 

Intel 12400F | 2x8 3000Mhz Corsair LPX | ASRock H570M-ITX  | Noctua DH-N14 | Corsair MP50 480GB | Meshilicious | Corsair SF600Fedora

Thanks let me know if I said something useful. Cheers!

Onboard is fine and don't worry about the ohms, that's mainly marketing BS

Edit: a nice Schiit Stack would be a decent upgrade though but definitely not necessary. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

1 minute ago, FloRolf said:

Onboard is fine and don't worry about the ohms, that's mainly marketing BS

Edit: a nice Schiit Stack would be a decent upgrade though but definitely not necessary. 

How is Ohms marketing bs if the volume is low without a sufficient amp?!

Intel 12400F | 2x8 3000Mhz Corsair LPX | ASRock H570M-ITX  | Noctua DH-N14 | Corsair MP50 480GB | Meshilicious | Corsair SF600Fedora

13 minutes ago, TheFlyingSquirrel said:

It's nonsense though. I have used both the GSP 600 and G4ME ZERO from Sennheiser. GSP has 28 ohms, g4me zero has 50. GSP 600 is better quality and isn't quiet. Everything on the gsp 600 is better in terms of sound. The volume isn't low, in fact I need volume on youtube at about 10% or it'll be too loud! So I have no idea what you are on about.

And I don't know anything about audio to be honest. I'm no expert. But I can tell the difference between these two headsets. The one with the lesser ohms is better and louder as far as I'm concerned.

35 minutes ago, MeatFeastMan said:

It's nonsense though. I have used both the GSP 600 and G4ME ZERO from Sennheiser. GSP has 28 ohms, g4me zero has 50. GSP 600 is better quality and isn't quiet. Everything on the gsp 600 is better in terms of sound. The volume isn't low, in fact I need volume on youtube at about 10% or it'll be too loud! So I have no idea what you are on about.

And I don't know anything about audio to be honest. I'm no expert. But I can tell the difference between these two headsets. The one with the lesser ohms is better and louder as far as I'm concerned.

Headphones like the 58X, require sufficient or they are very quiet.  I have used both my old board Maximus Hero and the Asus Xonar STX. Output impedence is crucial.  I defjnitely needs an Amp, DAC may not be required.

1 hour ago, TheFlyingSquirrel said:

Headphones like the 58X, require sufficient or they are very quiet.  I have used both my old board Maximus Hero and the Asus Xonar STX. Output impedence is crucial.  I defjnitely needs an Amp, DAC may not be required.

Output impedance is only crucial when it comes to being lower than 1/8 of the impedance of the speakers in whatever you are using. a higher output impedance will lead to distortion. The lowest possible output impedance is the best, what you need is actual power (the actual ampere) for sufficient volume. 

I used to have an ASUS D2X card which by my math had 10 ohm output impedance, and when I plugged my JBL J33i IEMs into it (this was in late 2013) it broke the IEMs. Low output impedance is the way to go. DACs in most motherboards in the last 10 years are actually pretty good, they mostly produce sound detailed enough for the average human to not hear the difference between it and higher end ones. Schiit Fulla (combo DAC + amp unit) or Schiit Magni (just amp) should be sufficient for your needs. 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

3 hours ago, TheFlyingSquirrel said:

Now i need to drive my 58x, am4 itx motheboard don't seem to have a decent dac but i may be ignorant. 

Lowest cost entry level DAC + AMP combo FX-audio dac x6 cant go wrong for the price and plenty of output power for the 58x it just has enough for my 6XX

3 hours ago, TheFlyingSquirrel said:

My 58x is powered fine with my msi b350 board.  And impedance values on dacs don't matter cause it's a dac your supposed to pair it with an amp anyway.. but if you really want to make sure you can grab a fiio k3 , a dac x6, or a fulla. But you won't really need it. 150 ohms don't mean anything. My 55 ohm k240 are harder to drive than the 58x.

4 hours ago, Lauen said:

Output impedance is only crucial when it comes to being lower than 1/8 of the impedance of the speakers in whatever you are using. a higher output impedance will lead to distortion. The lowest possible output impedance is the best, what you need is actual power (the actual ampere) for sufficient volume. 

I used to have an ASUS D2X card which by my math had 10 ohm output impedance, and when I plugged my JBL J33i IEMs into it (this was in late 2013) it broke the IEMs. Low output impedance is the way to go. DACs in most motherboards in the last 10 years are actually pretty good, they mostly produce sound detailed enough for the average human to not hear the difference between it and higher end ones. Schiit Fulla (combo DAC + amp unit) or Schiit Magni (just amp) should be sufficient for your needs. 

See my other comment, re motherboard testing, and soundcard amplification. My headphones are designed for their rating. 

Thanks, but I am fully aware of the schitt amp, i already have a stereo amp on the other side of the room.  No interest, in getting more hardware than needed. 

22 hours ago, TheFlyingSquirrel said:

See my other comment, re motherboard testing, and soundcard amplification. My headphones are designed for their rating. 

Thanks, but I am fully aware of the schitt amp, i already have a stereo amp on the other side of the room.  No interest, in getting more hardware than needed. 

Then why even make this thread if you can already power the thing?

On 5/1/2019 at 4:59 PM, rice guru said:

Then why even make this thread if you can already power the thing?

Honestly, because external DACs and AMPs are uncharted territory for me.   There are alot of DAC/AMP like the Schitt Fulla, FIIO E10k etc.. lying around and I wondered if they are any good.   Not to mention, my living room is awkward and in 1-2 years my computer will be in a den.

Currently it is STX - Long cable - AMP - Stereo Speakers, STX - Headphones

Ultimately I need to design my room with less cables involved.   Headphone AMP + DAC taking music from my HTPC sounds like a solid option and it removes the cable. The extra 150 just makes my wallet weep ?

2 minutes ago, TheFlyingSquirrel said:

Honestly, because external DACs and AMPs are uncharted territory for me.   There are alot of DAC/AMP like the Schitt Fulla, FIIO E10k etc.. lying around and I wondered if they are any good.   Not to mention, my living is awkward and in 1-2 years my computer will be in a den.

Currently it is STX - Long cable - AMP - Stereo Speakers, STX - Headphones

Ultimately I need to design my room with less cables involved.   Headphone AMP + DAC taking music from my HTPC sounds like a solid option and it removes the cable. The extra 150 just makes my wallet weep ?

Those amp dac options are pretty good. Do you need it? No does it cost money? Yes just the cost of audio really

1 hour ago, rice guru said:

Those amp dac options are pretty good. Do you need it? No does it cost money? Yes just the cost of audio really

As with anything like this, just because you can doesn't mean that you should.  A Topping D30\JDS Atom stack is supposedly amazing, shame there is no where in the area where I can hear them before taking the plunge

5 hours ago, TheFlyingSquirrel said:

As with anything like this, just because you can doesn't mean that you should.  A Topping D30\JDS Atom stack is supposedly amazing, shame there is no where in the area where I can hear them before taking the plunge

Yeah you gotta find a audio fiend of a friend who has access to all that  basically how I landed on my setup. Heard the d30 and d 10 and found they sounded so similar that I did t want to spend more and heard the atom and the liquid spark and prefered how the liquid spark sounded.

On 4/30/2019 at 12:08 PM, TheFlyingSquirrel said:

Ohm's dont tell you how hard headphones are to drive. my 50 ohm headphones are easier to drive than my 23 ohm ones. efficiency is the main worry when powering headphones.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)