Samsung Introduce "vertical" TV

AlexOak
3 hours ago, yolosnail said:

Also, who doesn't have their TV wall mounted these days?

Most people? Like, the vast majority?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

This product is so dumb I'm considering changing my username

/s

There are products that come along once in a while that revolutionize an industry...... This aint it chief. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

So 16k for.. a vertical TV? Why? 16,000 you could just get a vertical monitor set up. I've never seen anyone who wants to put their phone on the TV..

If my answer got you to your solution make sure to 'Mark Resolved!
( / . _ . / )

Reading the arstechnica article:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/04/samsung-embraces-vertical-videos-with-a-16000-vertical-tv/

The price is $1600 not $16k. It was only announced in South Korea so errors in translation (who really trusts Google translate?) are apparently to blame for the uncertainty. Either way Samsung aren't stupid. Nobody would pay 16k just for a rotating TV.

14 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I lack the words to express how disappointed I am that this exists.  This is by far the stupidest thing I've seen in some time.  Talk about treating the symptom and not the problem... good lord

As a young person, I wish I wasn't so I don't become associated with this lol. 

Specs: 

• i5-8600K 
  • Evga Black RTX 2070 
  • 16GB DDR4 2400MHz 
  • ASRock Extreme 4 Z370 
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Light TG 

Plays: Minesweeper at 1000 fps. 

15 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

This seems like an April Fools joke.

Though I could see this used in commercial signage.

Also, don't be an ass. Record your shit in landscape mode, geez...

record diagonally so it works on everything

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

3 minutes ago, Mr. horse said:

Agreed, why can't you just take a regular TV and rotate it 90 degrees.

You can, with a PC.

But if it's a SmartTV, it doesn't have a Portrait Mode. This is of course a firmware/software limitation, that could in theory be fixed with a patch.

So you can't just, for example, use Chromecast to watch Vertical videos.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, Mr. horse said:

Umm couldn't you just play a video that is rotated/shot in Portrait Mode?

I'm not sure I understand your question.

You could play a Portrait (vertical) video on a regular TV, sure. But you'd have about 70% of the screen to the left and right doing nothing, showing black bars (or, if it had the mode, blurred background of the actual video).

36 minutes ago, Mr. horse said:

No no, play a video that is rotated 90 degrees then rotate the TV 90 degrees. Given the use of this TV I can't see it being used for say watching TV but rather signs, books and legal stuff. So simply using a off the shelf TV with the displayed video rotated makes a lot more since. 

Please remember to use the quote function, otherwise people have to guess who you are responding to.

Anyway, the thing is, an off the shelf TV won't rotate video using any of the built-in video sources (Eg: Blu-ray player, YouTube/Netflix app, etc). You can rotate it sideways, and use a PC to flip the resolution, but that's an external device.

This TV will do that automatically. Which is about the only selling point.

2 minutes ago, Mr. horse said:

You were the last one to post. Anyone using common since would realize I was replying to you.

And no you do not need a PC to play a video that is rotated. I do this all the time at work. Rotate the image/video and play it on the rotated TV.

No one would want to play a 4:3 or 16:9 video on a tv that is rotated 90 degrees and defiantly not one that costs 16K

Even then they make SFF PCs that run off HDMI or mount to the wall mount on the back of a TV

Okay, so let's say I give you a standard Samsung TV. I put it sideways. You can only use the built-in software to play a vertical video. How is that going to rotate?

You can prep the video ahead of time to rotate it, but that's not what we're talking about here, because literally no one is going to reencode a video just to change the orientation.

Also it doesn't matter if I was the last person to post. Often posts are out of order or you might be replying to a post several before mine. Furthermore, some people only get notifications if you quote them. It's just a courtesy. You obviously don't have to quote people, but it'll make everyone's life (including yours) easier if you do.

Everyone thinking Samsung is stupid.

McDonalds just installed touch screen displays in all their stores for ordering/signage here in the uk. 50% of them are vertical.

Samsung sales person "Oh, we got some nice $/£1600 $£16,000 TVs for you..."

;)

1 hour ago, Mr. horse said:

Given the use of this TV I can't see it being used for say watching TV but rather signs, books and legal stuff. So simply using a off the shelf TV with the displayed video rotated makes a lot more since. 

Maybe when the price falls down, but this one, no one, and I mean literally no one will buy a $16k rotating TV to show any of those. They use normal TVs which they just physically mount differently and that's it for 1/20 of the price. And it's cheaper to remount it every single time if needed. 

I for one don't see anything wrong with this concept. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

24 minutes ago, Mr. horse said:

I don't think you understand what the average user of this TV will be using it for. There not going to be using it with a blue-ray player, Netflix or YouTube. who would in there right minds watch a movie or TV that's in 4:3 or 16:9 on a TV that is rotated? Its not going to be used for videos but rather books, legal docs, displaying maps in public places, adds, photos and or having a cell phone hooked up to it for presentations and what not. All of witch can be simply rotated at the media level without the crazy 16k price tag.

Well.. no.

Commercial vertical displays already exist. They're not going to buy some consumer grade piece of crap to do a job where a better product already exists.

I personally don't think anyone is going to buy this TV. But Samsung's intention is that people will watch smartphone recorded Vertical Video.

12 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Everyone thinking Samsung is stupid.

McDonalds just installed touch screen displays in all their stores for ordering/signage here in the uk. 50% of them are vertical.

Samsung sales person "Oh, we got some nice $/£1600 $£16,000 TVs for you..."

;)

Those types of commercial displays have existed for years. I have a touchscreen kiosk almost identical to what McDonald's uses (probably same brand) at work. Those have embedded PC's in them that do the heavy lifting.

I can see quite a few uses for this, also no one wants to rotate the tv/computer screen vertical and horizontal all the time I get the market case. 

But not 16k.... definitely not 16k... no one is going to pay 16k for a vertical tv..... I thought it was 1.6k in the quotes that be a very reasonable price I thought they just be like a phone where when you rotate the content follows the vertical or horizontal direction and have a motor on the back to flip the tv for you so I guess 1.6k is very reasonable

But if it really is 16k no one will even touch this.... 

edit* https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/04/samsung-embraces-vertical-videos-with-a-16000-vertical-tv/

According to samsung it is 1600$ not 16k it is worth it then.... arstechica did a double update

If anyone can read Korean. Please help translate the Korean news press release from samsung. 

19 hours ago, AlexOak said:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/04/samsung-embraces-vertical-videos-with-a-16000-vertical-tv/

According to arstechnica it is 1600$ they did a double update and asked Samsung's themselves 1600$ is very reasonable

Image result for cyclops

I understand it rotates, but don't encourage content in stupid mode. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

4 hours ago, Mr. horse said:

Agreed, why can't you just take a regular TV and rotate it 90 degrees.

no, no, no, no, no.  You're going at this all crabbed.  Your supposed to ask this of the person who shot the video; not ask why the whole world can't rotate their screens 900 just to watch a video of [insert subject] darting around and constantly jumping out of the sides of the frame.  Its like the masses are actually trying to 'accidentally' catch a random bolt of lightning while they're recording rather than anything else on the planet.

I don't know what they were thinking. I sure as heck aint going to stream a youtube video on a super pricey TV, that's so off point with this product.

If someone really did buy this just to stream from their iphone or android then they need to have a look at their heads for insanity

So... Its a TV turned 90 degrees... How stupid. You can do this with any TV. Not worth the price tag.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

22 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Those types of commercial displays have existed for years. I have a touchscreen kiosk almost identical to what McDonald's uses (probably same brand) at work. Those have embedded PC's in them that do the heavy lifting.

Oh I agree. This is just marketing trying to milk cash out of someone. Who out of, I've no idea. ?

[edit]

AH, £1.6k is CHEAP as a house/home TV that rotates for a picture/art mode. Like, yes it's practically useless to 99% of people, but that's less than most nice massive TVs, and it would be a talking point/art exhibit for those who do want it. We use to sell TV art frames that were about half that, for the frame alone to "hide" your TV.