Samsung Introduce "vertical" TV

AlexOak

20190429-pr-tv-01.jpg

The latest addition to Samsung’s TV range is the Sero, a 43-inch TV that was designed with the millennial generation in mind and therefore pivots between horizontal and vertical orientations. It’s a much smarter idea than the phrase “vertical TV” would lead you to believe. Acknowledging that most mobile content is vertical, Samsung says the Sero is designed to encourage young people to project more of their smartphone stuff onto the TV by allowing it to go vertical. Throwing in 4.1-channel, 60W speakers along with an integrated navy stand and a minimalist rear design, Samsung seems to hope this TV will function as both a music streaming hub and a handsome piece of furniture.

When it’s not used as a conventional TV or a phone enlarger, the Sero can also serve as a huge digital photo frame or a music visualizer, and Samsung’s Bixby voice assistant will be on hand, too. Samsung intends to put the Sero on sale for 1.89m KRW (around $1,600) in its home market of South Korea at the end of May. -The Verge

It really was $1,600 and not $16,000. 

Summary:

Samsung announces Tv that both horizontal and vertical, come with Samsung Bixby.  Releasing next month in Korea. 

News Sources:

https://abc7.com/technology/samsung-creates-new-$16000-vertical-tv/5276718/?fbclid=IwAR2aMQHAoBJZYQPKTD7USRQeQvIXCotZaDQIXE8eyqvP7nCruDarKnmfpjY

https://news.samsung.com/kr/삼성전자-새로운-라이프스타일-tv-시대-선언

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/04/samsung-embraces-vertical-videos-with-a-16000-vertical-tv/

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/29/18522287/samsung-sero-vertical-tv-price-release-date-millennials

Edited by AlexOak
Fixed price

I feel like this is a good idea... but why not just push firmware to allow this on all connected TV's?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

2 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I feel like this is a good idea... but why not just push firmware to allow this on all connected TV's?

or turn any tv on it's side with no firmware change at all

Does it self pivot when vertical content is displayed, like automatically via motors?

10 minutes ago, MrFixitBlankFace said:

Its a ball

In a circle

In a red rectangle

In a blue rectangle

that'll be 16k please.....20k if you want to delve into triangles

I lack the words to express how disappointed I am that this exists.  This is by far the stupidest thing I've seen in some time.  Talk about treating the symptom and not the problem... good lord

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I'm not reading this. I just want it to die.

There’s only one logical use I can see for this.

As an interactive advertisement stand 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

>Far East tomfoolery

It's almost as good as upside-down land tomfoolery. Almost.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I'm not gonna lie, the execution of The Sero is really slick and pretty well thought out for the use case. I wouldn't expect anything less from Samsung's high end products though (aside from the Galaxy Fold.) The Frame is quite a nice looking piece for areas where you don't want to disturb the aesthetic with a conventional television.

Now of course The Sero is an abomination that shouldn't exist and its' prospective buyers should be publicly shamed, but that's a different argument entirely.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

1 hour ago, AlexOak said:

Samsung says the Sero is designed to encourage young people to project more of their smartphone stuff onto the TV by allowing it to go vertical

only retards record in vertical.

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

now it's the perfect shape to fit on a fridge door

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

47 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I lack the words to express how disappointed I am that this exists.  This is by far the stupidest thing I've seen in some time.  Talk about treating the symptom and not the problem... good lord

Given the resolution of modern smartphone sensors, I question why vertical video still exists. Is it too much to ask for the camera app to crop a 1920 x 1080 frame (or even 2560 x 1440) while in different orientations?

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

NextScaredDuckling-size_restricted.gif

What type of content will you even consume on this? Shitty tiktok "videos"? We have phones for that.

Any other type of content will be terrible on a vertical TV, just like it is when you have to watch a vertical video on your existing horizontal displays.

I'd argue that "millenials" are likely to be ditching TVs altogether instead of just buying this TV for the sake of consuming more vertical content from idiots on the internet.

Rich old men disconnected from reality attempting to connect with the "youth"... by selling what is essentially an advertisement panel, as if nobody ever heard of a vertical VESA wall mount for TVs.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

4 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Given the resolution of modern smartphone sensors, I question why vertical video still exists. Is it too much to ask for the camera app to crop a 1920 x 1080 frame (or even 2560 x 1440) while in different orientations?

That's been my recommendation for quite a while now - just always take a landscape feed from the sensor regardless of orientation.  The manufacturers could sell it as an extra bit of video stabilization, which it genuinely would be so that's not even a lie, and not only would it stop the creation of more vertical videos but I think people would also figure out how to film properly on their own if this was implemented because sooner or later they'd realize that holding the phone horizontally and having the video fill the whole screen is nicer than having a tiny little view in the middle of a portrait display.

Sadly it seems most companies, be it video sharing websites or the device makers on the creation and display ends of the chain, seem more interested in enabling this behaviour than trying to educate people to stop it.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

This x1,000,000, all phones are crop frame video recorders anyway. Just make it standard horizontal. Some day in the future our great great grandchildren will call us stupid when they find our vertical videos.