Excel formula to search a value in a list and give the value of the adjacent cell

I need a formula that search a determinate value in a range of cells and give the value of the adjacent cell.

In the attached document there is a list of students that are going to attend to a graduation party and each student has an unic number, the idea is type the ID of the student and automatically will appear the table where he/she is going to sit 

So, I need a formula that can search the ID in the list and return the value of the adjacent celd, where the number of table is 

example.xlsx

A formula would require a very long string of if statements (one for each id). Alternatively you would use a macro to do what you want.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

VLOOKUP or INDEX and MATCH will work. Use INDEX and MATCH since VLOOKUP assumes an ascending order and does a binary search. If it finds a value which is greater than your search term it will fall back and use the last value.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/look-up-values-in-a-list-of-data-c249efc5-5847-4329-bfee-ecffead5ef88