Macs are SLOWER than PCs. Here’s why.

nicklmg
28 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

you can fix that to just use the Intel card and completely ignore the dead AMD card. it involves using Linux to change an EFI variable.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/force-2011-macbook-pro-8-2-with-failed-amd-gpu-to-always-use-intel-integrated-gpu-efi-variable-fix.2037591/

just have a look at that. it might fix your MacBook Pro. I have a 2011 as well and it fixed mine. 

do you make a video about all the other company's doing it too? no of course you don't. until you do I will keep calling you out on it. 

*by you I mean LMG as a whole, not Anthony personally*

That's not so much of a fix as it is a workaround, the discrete AMD chip shouldn't be dying in the first place if the board was designed properly.

1 hour ago, caincha said:

I would agree 100% with you about their 'PC perspective' crappy videos. But since Anthony started to do the writing it did got VERY unbiased and I can't get mad at that - that would be fanboy behaviour.

As to answer your questions:

1) they review tech, Apple is a tech company, of course they would make these videos;

2) yes of course for views and money! This is a business and LMG have to pay their employees plus Linus already said anything with 'Apple' in the title gets more views so as long as it is unbiased what's the problem…?

Yes, but there's SO MUCH ELSE tech stuff they could review/deep-dive into:

• AR-integrated products (general computing headsets, smartphone-powered glasses, motorcycle helmets, skiing/cycling/SCUBA diving goggles, etc.)
  • Follow-up reviews on products with lack-of-support workarounds and overhauled software functionality (e.g. iPad Pro & Pixelbook)
  • Software usability/performance reviews (professional, creativity, and games)
  • More open-source tech tweaking w/ RISC-V CPUs, customized motherboards & PCIe cards, DIY Linux distro, games built with Godot Engine, and more (i.e. Frankenstein Build)
  • Neat tech they use OUTSIDE OF WORK
  • Old "ballin' perfomance" tech (like dual-GPU cards or i7-4790k) vs new-er tech (recent stuff)
  • Everyday tech products geared more for "out in the field" type work or use cases.
  • More tech-building competitions like CRAPTASTIC CONTRAPTIONS or SCRAPYARD WARS: Dream Team Edition (LMG/Louis Rossman vs. Marques Brownlee/Austin Evans/Hardware Canucks vs.  Paul's Hardware/Bitwit).
  • More "behind the scenes" videos & live streams:
Spoiler
  • The journey a particular video idea (say a build guide/software tutorial or Hololens 2 review) took to become the final video ~ not just the "general process"
  • Planning/set-up mishaps "On the Road to LTX"
  • MORE video bloopers!!!!
  • Recent or ongoing triumphs and challenges
  • Other areas I can't list off the top of my head at the moment 

It might mean making a half dozen more purchases every month, but IMO the diversification would be worth it. ^_^

16 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Eh, how can you be 'disappointed' with the truth? 

it's not the truth. I'm an apple user and I care more about performance than looks.

She/Her

12 minutes ago, Foxlet said:

That's not so much of a fix as it is a workaround, the discrete AMD chip shouldn't be dying in the first place if the board was designed properly.

agreed. but it will get his machine working again. 

She/Her

44 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

You seem to draw a lot of your arguments from that the majority of Apple users are laymans. Then why Apple makes Macs more as virtual dongle extensions and markets them towards prosumers?

Even the basic Macbook is more or less sold for having "extreme performance in creative tasks" not to even mention Macbook Pros or the iMac Pro and for workloads where those component would really shine, Macs just don't have the cooling even near good enough (like almost every laptop/AiO with same specs except from monsters like the ASUS ROG GX700VO with it's dock watercooling). For Apple it could really be a good choice to make at least one very cheap laptop that they would market for the majority of their customers, but even when time goes that really never will happen and my guess is that Apple knows very well that the majority of it's customers are that challenged that they are more than happy to be easily parted from more money for hardware that looks better on the paper while they really don't even need that hardware.

IMO Apple had very good flagship computers that did what they promised to do and were very good at that. Now you throw 8K video editing at your $5k iMac Pro and it overheats. You throw large CAD files at the same iMac Pro and it overheats. Maybe 3D modeling and rendering, it overheats. Facebook, it doesn't overheat.

Notice: I'm not saying it cannot do them, but rather it's no more engineered to do them and so it's no more even close to be the best for those uses. If it would be engineered for those tasks, we wouldn't see that bad overheating and so throttling, at the worst we would see some overheating and throttling, but the machine wouldn't be on it's knees begging for a quick death.

And here we also get to the "design over performance", I can bet my head on that with $5k you can build a computer that can handle all and every task, for which Apple markets iMac Pro, better and without overheating than iMac Pro and the only real things you loose are design and other comfort features. Yes, it will be that ugly desktop with cord jungle hanging from it's rear and it won't be AiO and it will get loud, but it won't overheat and it will have better performance. Whoever chooses iMac Pro for those tasks over the PC, does they really not choose design over performance?

I am about to hit purchase on a brand new MacBook Pro (Or a new iMac but I’m leaning towards the portability side right now). 

I’ll not be getting the i9 in the MacBook. Why not?..... because if puget  systems tests on windows have taught us anything it is that you should buy the hardware that is best for your software not whatever is coolest and most high performance at the time. 

I have done my research and for the use cases I will see (namely photo and video) if I get the Vega 20 graphics and stick to the i7 any performance hit will be negligible. 

Also for video as long as I use either final cut or davinci it won’t be so bad as they are less bothered by the lack of an nvidia gpu than premiere pro is on Mac OS. At least according to tests users have done. 

As for Mac OS I like it. I was and still am a windows user for years. Honestly I like the simplicity of Mac OS. I am not a developer or someone who dreams of being the greatest hacker or the next Steve jobs. I just want to turn it on, open a program and work. Either at my desk or on a plan or out in the field. 

Customisation be damned! I don’t care about it. I don’t game anymore. I just want to work. 

All I want to do is maintain a website, edit photographs, make the odd YouTube video and now and then do a podcast. 

I will probably never run windows on my Mac. I have no reason to. 

I love hugely powerful gaming PC’s buy until I decide to get back into gaming I just don’t need those kinds of computers. 

57 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

you can fix that to just use the Intel card and completely ignore the dead AMD card. it involves using Linux to change an EFI variable.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/force-2011-macbook-pro-8-2-with-failed-amd-gpu-to-always-use-intel-integrated-gpu-efi-variable-fix.2037591/

just have a look at that. it might fix your MacBook Pro. I have a 2011 as well and it fixed mine.

Already done, less of an issue now that I'm running Mojave, but still a painful workaround.

57 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

do you make a video about all the other company's doing it too? no of course you don't. until you do I will keep calling you out on it. 

*by you I mean LMG as a whole, not Anthony personally*

I don't really feel like debating this one because I think I've said everything there is to say from my perspective, but there are a number of reasons to call out Apple specifically, the biggest of which being that there's no choice if you want official macOS support, and it's quite likely that more people will end up with a Macbook than a Zenbook by a rather large margin, which IMO makes Apple's choices here quite relevant to a large pool of users... Besides which, we call other companies out every time their machines perform like this. It just happens to be more-or-less a systemic issue with Apple.

For my part, I just want them to do better, just like I used to criticize Nintendo for the choices they made with the WiiU and now will praise them for the choices they've made with the Switch. I criticized AMD for FX, and now will praise them for the strides they've made with Ryzen. And I praised Apple from around 2010 through 2015, and I'll keep praising the good decisions they make, like their display tech, their UI, platform integration, and their embrace of USB type C. This, however, is not praiseworthy, and I don't think whataboutism when they make a misstep is helpful to Apple's image of being a trailblazer and trendsetter with an eye for detail.

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

10 minutes ago, GabenJr said:

Besides which, we call other companies out every time their machines perform like this. It just happens to be more-or-less a systemic issue with Apple.

yes in the reviews. and with the apple reviews I never complain when it is mentioned. this isn't a review. 

10 minutes ago, GabenJr said:

Already done, still a painful workaround.

https://realmacmods.com/macbook-2011-radeon-gpu-disable/

this site goes into more detail on doing a few logic board mods that can help some of the side effects of the modification. 

She/Her

2 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

this forum hasn't reached that point yet but eventually it will go there.

What do you think I'm here for??

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

What do you think I'm here for??

ofc you keep it safe but you might leave at some point. imagine the disasters that will happen then!!!

She/Her

Just now, firelighter487 said:

ofc you keep it safe but you might leave at some point. imagine the disasters that will happen then!!!

I'm staying here as long as I'm able to.

On topic: I wouldn't be that surprised if Apple did something in operating system updates that slows the MacBooks down to maintain the promised battery life, similar to what they do in the phones.

I have to admit, I had originally thought this video would talk about something like that.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

I wouldn't be that surprised if Apple did something in operating system updates that slows the MacBooks down to maintain the promised battery life, similar to what they do in the phones.

they can't. Intel controls that. that might change if Apple starts using it's own chips in Mac's. of which there have been rumours for a few years iirc so... 

She/Her

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

they can't. Intel controls that. that might change if Apple starts using it's own chips in Mac's. of which there have been rumours for a few years iirc so... 

I'll be waiting for that to happen with my surprised Pikachu emote.

2 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

which one?

:

3 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

Red herring argument. 

✨FNIGE✨

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I'll be waiting for that to happen with my surprised Pikachu emote.

hahah

on a serious note it is possible. they could be like well now the Mac's use ARM cpu's and they might use a similar thing to Windows 10 on ARM where they emulate x86 to run those apps.

She/Her

they can't. Intel controls that

Actually, they can. Intel CPUs allow the OS to take control of power management, so long as no safeties are triggered (such as overvolt or thermal throttling).

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

10 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

They absolutely can control that, that is the purpose of the SMC, controlling all the hardware sensors, fans, and some power management roles of the machine, alongside firmware properties to manage the clock of the CPU. In previous years it was even possible to control this from userland, using tools like CoolBook.

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Actually, they can. Intel CPUs allow the OS to take control of power management, so long as no safeties are triggered (such as overvolt or thermal throttling).

only clock speed and stuff then? 

also if they did this it's very easy to detect. so if they did throttle older systems down we'd know. 

She/Her

Just now, Foxlet said:

They absolutely can control that, that is the purpose of the SMC, controlling all the sensors, fans, and power management of the machine, alongside firmware properties to manage the clock of the CPU. In previous years it was even possible to control this from userland, using tools like CoolBook.

I'll repeat my previous reply as it also applies here. 

also if they did this it's very easy to detect. so if they did throttle older systems down we'd know. 

She/Her

Whatever you can control CPU wise in Windows or Linux, either by way of the OS' built in options, or program that hooks into the UEFI.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Whatever you can control CPU wise in Windows or Linux, either by way of the OS' built in options, or program that hooks into the UEFI.

I've only seen clock speed... and the ability to disable cores and threads in linux. but that's likely just telling the OS not to use them. 

She/Her

2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

I've only seen clock speed... and the ability to disable cores and threads in linux. but that's likely just telling the OS not to use them. 

On Haswell-E, with MSI command Center in Windows, I can modify core voltage, RAM timings and voltage, clock multiplier, and a few other things.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

On Haswell-E, with MSI command Center in Windows, I can modify core voltage, RAM timings and voltage, clock multiplier, and a few other things.

oh that's cool! I doubt the ram stuff is controlled by the cpu though. that's probably just the board and the custom software for it. 

She/Her

I doubt the ram stuff is controlled by the cpu though

It's controlled though the IMC.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

I'll repeat my previous reply as it also applies here. 

To a degree they are already doing so, slightly underclocking/undervolting the machine when a battery isn't present for some reason (behavior picked up from older MagSafe machines where lower wattage PSUs might not provide enough power for a given logic board).

In terms of doing it for purposes of increasing battery life, there hasn't been any cases, but the point is not that they've done it, but that it could be done if they felt like applying that policy.