Will the PlayStation 5 KILL PC gaming master race?

spirals

So, recently Sony announced the Ps5 and it's specs, will this be the end for the PC gaming masterrace? Will PC gamers abandon their computers just for this immersive technology?? Personally I am a big fan to PC Gaming. 

It'll have eight cores of the seven-nanometer Zen 2 microchip. Although the console will support 8K, displaying at this resolution will be dependant on TVs catching up.

The graphics, meanwhile, will be driven by a custom version of Radeon's Navi line. This graphics chip will support ray tracing *source GameSpot. 

What do you guys think?

Just now, spirals said:

So, recently Sony announced the Ps5 and it's specs, will this be the end for the PC gaming masterrace?

No, PC's can do more than just gaming. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

computers are going nowhere, especially when you have a wider library and can do lots of more things with a computer

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

4 minutes ago, spirals said:

Although the console will support 8K, displaying at this resolution will be dependant on TVs catching up.

Its literally just the HDMI 2.1 standard .......

We can allready do 8K on PC.........

5 minutes ago, spirals said:

What do you guys think?

Its another console. Probably something like when the Xbox 360 launched. Pretty good specs for the price, but still a console. 

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

computers are going nowhere, especially when you have a wider library and can do lots of more things with a computer

Its not long before M$ just announches the console can do PC things, except only with stuff from the M$ store. 

I can't do work on a console, so that's a no for me. Why would I buy both a console and a relatively cheap office pc if I could combine them for a superior experience?

He's talking about PC Gaming, not the PC itself, obviously PC hardware will never die..

Anyway, as much as I hate Sony, I'm afraid this will drag down PC gaming even further.. way further, like it's already bad enough that developers don't give a shit about PC gaming

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

2 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

developers don't give a shit about PC gaming

They dont have to. Consoles allready run PC hardware and a lot of PC APIs.

3 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

He's talking about PC Gaming, not the PC itself, obviously PC hardware will never die..

Consoles still have limiting factors. The one thing appealing on consoles is the performance per dollar. 

7 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

They dont have to. Consoles allready run PC hardware and a lot of PC APIs.

That's not the point, consoles only have one set of hardware, while PC's have many, developers just don't care enough to optimize their games but in the past they did, look at all the shitty unoptimized games out there, it has gotten really bad since the PS4 came out, and i think it will get even worse

Consoles still have limiting factors. The one thing appealing on consoles is the performance per dollar. 

Considering PS5 will support Mouse and Keyboard, the gap is getting much closer i'm afraid

Let me just name a few over the years just from memory

Assassins Creed 3 + Unity + Origins + Odyssey - Garbage Optimization
Call Of Duty Ghosts (and others) - Garbage Optimization
PUBG - Garbage Optimization
Fallout 4 + 76- Garbage Optimization (ran fine on consoles I think?)
Nier Automata - Fucking Garbage Optimization (ran perfectly fine on consoles and PC never got updates)
Batman Akrham Knight - Garbage Optimization

That's just the ones I know about, i'm sure there's plenty plenty more, notice a trend?

15 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

That's not the point, consoles only have one set of hardware, while PC's have many, developers just don't care enough to optimize their games but in the past they did, look at all the shitty unoptimized games out there, it has gotten really bad since the PS4 came out, and i think it will get even worse

Considering they use x86 CPUs that can utilize similar sqedualling aswell as APIs like dx12 and vulcan that can also just be directly ported to PC. Which M$ is pushing for with their "play anywhere" strat.

Lower corecounts may not fair well. So 8 threads is more or less a must forwards. 

17 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

Considering PS5 will support Mouse and Keyboard, the gap is getting much closer i'm afraid

And PC has ever controller ever......(more or less)

Consoles are just restricted PCs. Its not long before M$ just says the console can do PC things. 

3 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Considering they use x86 CPUs that can utilize similar sqedualling aswell as APIs like dx12 and vulcan that can also just be directly ported to PC. Which M$ is pushing for with their "play anywhere" strat. 

Lower corecounts may not fair well. So 8 threads is more or less a must forwards. 

Yeah Xbox games might get direct ports, but PlayStation games never will, that will be like Sony shooting themselves in the foot and you know how much they love money, and if Xbox did get direct ports how is that any different than a console? at that point it's much cheaper to get a console and call it a day if all you want is gaming

Its not long before M$ just says the console can do PC things. 

Exactly.. and PS5 might follow the same trend, which means they will no longer be as restricted, with mouse and keyboard support i assume there will be a lot more app support that us PC users use on a daily basis and mutlitasking because of the 8 Core 16 Thread CPU.

Cost of half-decent 1080p TV + cost of cheap laptop to do "real" work + xbox + fecking xbox live/ps plus = 

200+200+400+100 = 

900$

decent 1080p screen + 50$ keyboard + mice +1660 ti+2600 +rest of build = 

100+50+280+150+350$

=930$

and you get better periphs (we all know keyboard + mice perform better),, and you don't have to pay yearly.

29 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

Assassins Creed 3 + Unity + Origins + Odyssey - Garbage Optimization
Call Of Duty Ghosts (and others) - Garbage Optimization
PUBG - Garbage Optimization
Fallout 4 + 76- Garbage Optimization (ran fine on consoles I think?)
Nier Automata - Fucking Garbage Optimization (ran perfectly fine on consoles and PC never got updates)
Batman Akrham Knight - Garbage Optimization

That's just the ones I know about, i'm sure there's plenty plenty more, notice a trend?

>Origins/Odyssey and FO4 having garbage optimization

Sure seems like you've never played them on a PC. The ACO twins rape CPU and that's about it. Fallout 4 will run on a later-run GTX 480 ES (650MHz core and 1650 on VRAM) at 1080p medium/high mix like it's nothing (76 however is absolutely not great though, the consoles struggle with it even more than PCs do).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

6 minutes ago, flibberdipper said:

The ACO twins rape CPU and that's about it.

that's about it? are you serious? that's the definition of bad optimization

I have played both games actually, while Origins and Odyssey are far far worse than Fallout 4, but still Fallout 4 is badly optimized from memory, you can exclude it if you want to, that still doesn't change anything

7 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

I have played both games actually, while Origins and Odyssey are far far worse than Fallout 4, but still Fallout 4 is badly optimized from memory, you can exclude it if you want to, that still doesn't change anything

Considering it's been shown that the only thing causing the rapeage is anti-piracy bullshit, yes. That's about it. Shitty anti-piracy =/= bad optimization.

And your memory is quite wrong if you think FO4 is badly optimized. Imagine making sure you're right on something before making an accusation.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

31 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

Yeah Xbox games might get direct ports, but PlayStation games never will,

Playstation exclusives wont, but thats not surprising. 

36 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

Exactly.. and PS5 might follow the same trend, which means they will no longer be as restricted,

What would a PS5 do to get PC functionality? Load linux?

I mean its not happening today. So i dont see why PC gaming would "die"

38 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

at that point it's much cheaper to get a console and call it a day if all you want is gaming

It is allready cheaper to do that....... There is a reason why they are popular

Just now, flibberdipper said:

Considering it's been shown that the only thing causing the rapeage is anti-piracy bullshit, yes. That's about it. Shitty anti-piracy =/= bad optimization.

Not properly implementing Anti-piracy bullshit is bad optimization, it affects the game overall, it's an important and permanent part of the game, if they released it on GOG I would agree with you

1 minute ago, flibberdipper said:

And your memory is quite wrong if you think FO4 is badly optimized. Imagine making sure you're right on something before making an accusation.

I did state in the first sentence that it's "from memory", if you wanna say i'm wrong sure i'm not stopping you, I said you can exclude it

53 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

Playstation exclusives wont, but thats not surprising.

Yes I meant exclusives

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

What would a PS5 do to get PC functionality? Load linux?

I mean its not happening today. So i dont see why PC gaming would "die"

No i'm talking about application support, full application support for small work like office apps, or even full on video editing and other things, whatever you normally do on a PC (those are just assumptions, really don't know which route they're gonna take it, they might never do that)

and I never said PC gaming would die, and it certainly won't with the PS5

3 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

It is allready cheaper to do that....... There is a reason why they are popular

I'm aware, I meant cheaper without the limitations of a console

18 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

No i'm talking about application support, full application support for small work like office apps, or even full on video editing and other things, whatever you normally do on a PC (those are just assumptions, really don't know which route they're gonna take it, they might never do that)

Sooooo. Linux..........

19 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

I'm aware, I meant cheaper without the limitations of a console

Consoles will allways continue ti have limitations. Its how they make money.

3 hours ago, spirals said:

will this be the end for the PC gaming masterrace?

No, Epic Game Store will have a bigger effect.

As well as other proprietary shit.

PC is (and should be) a free and open plattform. WHen you force someone to do something they don't want to, that's something many people don't want!

Why do I have to have Uplay for Ubi Games?
Origin for EA Games

Blizzard Launcher for Blizzard Games

EGS for some other Games + the Bullshit War between EGS and Steam...

And, of course, Steam...

As well as all the other Proprietary shit, Crashes and bad drivers (look for Wildlands and nVidia Turing).

While there is still a big percentage that don't want no console, there is an equally large amount of people that don't like what is happening to the PC Gaming Market...

THAT will move people towards other Options...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

2 hours ago, _Syn_ said:

It ran perfectly fine on my system - wich at the time had a Radeon HD7970 inside.

Can't remember much FPS drops IIRC.

Might be a case of a smaller game doing some stuff others don't usually do and lack of care from the GPU Manufacturers.

2 hours ago, _Syn_ said:

We don't know what happens in the background and is eating the CPU Power.

But you do know that Origins and Odyssey run some simulation stuff on the CPU??
Something like Weather Simulation and other stuff...

That takes its toll.

A real question:
Are you a developer and have looked at what the game does or how can you come to the conclusion that its "bad optimizations"???

That's the case if the CPU runs at 25% or lower, GPU at 50% and you have shit fps...

Back in my days it was totally normal that some games eat Hardware for breakfast and couldn't be played well with anything that was on the market at the time. 

It took a couple of years for it to run well.

It's an age old argument between PC's and consoles. Both of the platforms have their strength's and weaknesses.

I'll try summarize my PC experience, from my personal and objective observation. GAMER PERSPECTIVE:

- Higher price.

- Complexity

- Bad optimization that results in expesive hardware being wasted.

- DRM.

- Multiple platforms like Steam, Origin, Uplay, Battle.net, Epic game store and more in the works.

- Constant onslaught of obstacles provided by developers such as missing basic features in games like FOV or mouse acceleration.

- Buying straight up BROKEN games / having to phuck around ini. files.

- Driver issues.

- Cheaters.

- Lack of "first" party heavy hitters - Uncharted, Last of US, Horizon Zero Dawn, Spider-man, Halo series and many more. The list will always grow.

- PC is infested by shit ass undeveloped early ALPHA or access games.

- No physical games.

+ Customization

+ Flexibility/multasking

+ Steam sales

+ Variety of genres to play.

+ Mods

+ Keyboard and mouse
+ Visual fidelity

Honestly in my 7 'last' years of strict pc gaming i can safely say it gave more headache than fun. There was always something to do around the game to make it work. Also, you can easily fall into this rabbit hole of constant upgrade/tweaking which can cost you a lot of money. Another thing is that weak talk about emulation. It's garbage except some cases like dolphin or cemu, it's a gimmick with no official support. Another, another thing with PC (which i think is most important) is that you either go BIG or at all. That's my opinion. All these "budget" builds are weak and will die against latest, even more unoptimised games.