The First OLED Monitor! - ASUS PG22U

James
5 minutes ago, James said:

portable monitor.

Oh ok. Good thing you pointed that out. I was afraid there for a second I'd not be able to take it anywhere with me. 

On a serious note, someone will have to explain it to me why Asus decided to make it a portable.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

23 minutes ago, James said:

The First OLED Monitor!

Didn't the OLED Dell UP3017Q reach the market before the ASUS PG22U?

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

From this video I learned:

• This product is completely pointless.
  • OLED is pointless.
  • MicroLED is the future, and better in every way.
  • Asus is insane.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 hour ago, James said:

Buy PQ22U on Amazon: https://geni.us/M9DzY

If OLED screens are good enough for our phones and TVs why not PC monitors? Their day might be coming with the ASUS ProArt PQ22U OLED portable monitor.

That is a disgustingly bad example of an OLED Monitor.

Its almost as if they made it to purposely destroy OLED's chances in the future.

As you mentioned, Micro LED is a possible future tech we could see, however you didnt mention the fact that Micro LED is still an LCD based technology.

As such, it will still likely have pixel response time issues, u know, one of the MAJOR drawbacks LCD technology has.

Even if Micro LED gets small enough, and even with its better black levels, if the pixel response times are to slow it will be no better than current LCD's, which only the fastest worst looking panels, (TN) can get anywhere near close enough to run high frequencies. Very few monitors can actually run 144hz and have pixel response fast enough to keep up, most run 120hz to 240hz, but have pixel response way to slow to keep up resulting in blurring. Not to mention LCD monitors tend to have terrible uniformity issues, even the £1000+ ones.

Ill be the 1st to praise a good monitor, when one actually comes out, but ever since LCD took control of the market we have been getting nothing but overpriced trash when compared to the best CRT ever had to offer. I really wish I had not got rid of my old 22" Trinitron.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

if you really need a great OLED monitor on-the-go for creators, why not get one of those OLED laptop from Dell, Lenovo or even Razer?

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

My OLED display on my Galaxy was showing signs of burn in after just two years. For that to happen with a $4000 monitor is simply inexcusable. And you are correct - by the time the price does come down it will be replaced with newer technology for sure.

It's far too expensive for a portable monitor, far too fragile to last beyond 2-3 years without burn-in issues and far too big to carry comfortably. This reminds me of the HP HDX9000 monster 20 inch laptop from 2007 - those things became tech dinosaurs pretty quickly.

Show me a laptop with a 20 inch 4K IPS display, however, and my opinion changes.

It costs four...

ok, $400 is a little more than I'd pay for a monitor of that size, but I guess thats fine if its 4k

...thousand dollars

WTF
literally who would buy this????? Paying an extra $3500 just for a monitor with better contrast? wow

14 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

i want it

but too expensive

must have it

but the price

gimme

looks at bank account

nope

Why do you want it? 

14 hours ago, SolarNova said:

As you mentioned, Micro LED is a possible future tech we could see, however you didnt mention the fact that Micro LED is still an LCD based technology.

microled has nothing to do with LCD, they are completely different technologies.

2 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

oled

It's stupid though, OLED sucks for a monitor.

You need to either use your pc only a few minutes a day, or have a screen saver that goes on after literally minutes at idle, auto hiding taskbar, black wallpaper, and not use any program or game for extended periods of time.

Guess what the point of a computer is...

The complete opposite of all that.

This monitor basically prevents you from using a computer normally as it should be.

OLED needs to die, and micro LED needs to replace it.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

38 minutes ago, Enderman said:

microled has nothing to do with LCD, they are completely different technologies.

It's stupid though, OLED sucks for a monitor.

You need to either use your pc only a few minutes a day, or have a screen saver that goes on after literally minutes at idle, auto hiding taskbar, black wallpaper, and not use any program or game for extended periods of time.

Guess what the point of a computer is...

The complete opposite of all that.

This monitor basically prevents you from using a computer normally as it should be.

OLED needs to die, and micro LED needs to replace it.

How is MicroLED for VR headsets? I don't really know much about it, but I have never really heard of VR headsets having burn in problems, although maybe if MicroLED is cheaper? The word micro makes me think it will be better for VR, but that may just be me being dumb. 

Specs: 

• i5-8600K 
  • Evga Black RTX 2070 
  • 16GB DDR4 2400MHz 
  • ASRock Extreme 4 Z370 
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Light TG 

Plays: Minesweeper at 1000 fps. 

1 hour ago, bradwiggo said:

How is MicroLED for VR headsets? I don't really know much about it, but I have never really heard of VR headsets having burn in problems, although maybe if MicroLED is cheaper? The word micro makes me think it will be better for VR, but that may just be me being dumb. 

OLED in VR headsets doesn't burn in, because you might not notice it, but your head moves around quite a bit, even if you try to remain completely still. So it is very hard to get a picture to stay completely the same for an extended period of time. MicroLED is like OLED, but non organic, so it might be cheaper.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

I think I will be stuck with my acer xb271hu for a while but I can't complain I love it. Probably wont change it until 4k becomes mainstream with high fps like 1440p is now.

6 hours ago, bradwiggo said:

There are no micro LED monitors or headsets at the moment.

The LEDs aren't 'micro' enough yet.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

On 4/27/2019 at 1:49 PM, Bouzoo said:

Oh ok. Good thing you pointed that out. I was afraid there for a second I'd not be able to take it anywhere with me. 

On a serious note, someone will have to explain it to me why Asus decided to make it a portable.

As Linus hinted at in the video, they just chose to tout "portability" as a feature because the monitor is too small. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

23 hours ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

I think I will be stuck with my acer xb271hu for a while but I can't complain I love it. Probably wont change it until 4k becomes mainstream with high fps like 1440p is now.

Yup.  That's my plan too.  I love my PG279Qs.  They'll be around for a long time.  I can't see 1440p 165Hz going anywhere any time soon.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"