Opinions? Rx 580 vs GTX 1060?

GtfoDragon57

I'm trying to upgrade my graphics card cuz my system is around 6 years old and it's time. I've been researching and my price range is around $200. So... RX 580 8gb or GTX 1060 6gb?

The 580 is usually cheaper for the same thing. What region are you shopping in?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

580 is generally better performance at the cost of increased power consumption. If you care a great deal about power consumption, have heat constraints (small case, little airflow), low a limited power supply (<500), go 1060. Otherwise the 580 is generally the better option.

3 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Fractal Core 500 is better. Fite me.

12 minutes ago, GtfoDragon57 said:

I'm trying to upgrade my graphics card cuz my system is around 6 years old and it's time. I've been researching and my price range is around $200. So... RX 580 8gb or GTX 1060 6gb?

While not common, I have gone over 6GB of VRAM on a 1080p game (especially if you have multi-monitor and do other shit while gaming). Also, the RX580 is more powerful in raw throughput but is less optimized because muh Gameworks and muh mindshare

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

I'd go with the RX 580. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

I had the chance to test 2+ of both GTX 1060 6GB's and RX 580 8GBs

They are equal at 1080p. RX 580 wins at higher res. at that res, OCing the mem clocks makes a bigger difference. Tested on Far cry 5.

I'm playing 60 fps 3.7K Bf1 on my rx 580.

Verdict: both are about equal and overkill at lower res. For higher res though, where the extra performance counts, the RX 580 wins.

At max settings (minus maybe AA, I don't remember) at 4K, the RX 580 got 29 FPS after all the OC was said and done (only 12.5% mem oc for RX 580 and power limit increase). The RX 580 could not increase core speed by much due to lack of power delivery. The gtx 1060 using the same overclocking got 25 fps (14% lower).

If you get an rx 580, get one with more than an 8 pin connector. the RX 580 was bottlenecked by power delivery. The 8 pin 150 W and the PCI 50W weren't enough. Btw, the RX 580 becomes very power efficient if you under clock it by 14%, it then uses only 70Ws, for mining. (stable for gaming or mining at 0.9v instead of 1.15v)

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

22 minutes ago, Majestic said:

low a limited power supply (<500)

You can do it on a 400 watt PSU.

And its a lot more about quality of the PSU than wattage. And if the quality cant power a rx 580, then you shouldnt power anything with it. 

16 minutes ago, AwesomeArsh said:

Go with the GTX 1060

It has more power

No? They are roughly the same, with the rx 580 having architecture favoring more modern titles.

26 minutes ago, GtfoDragon57 said:

So... RX 580 8gb or GTX 1060 6gb?

Usually rx 580 because its cheaper.

But if you can id suggest looking at a gtx 1660.

-Moved to Graphics Cards-

What are you using your system for? That will have more bearing on what card you should buy.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Amd cards tend to aged better. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 minute ago, Majestic said:

Only on specific models. It's safer to just recommend 500, so you don't have to start talking about 12V rails and amperage.

Again, its about quality, not wattage. There are plenty of 500 watt ++ PSUs id never suggest to use with an rx 580 or any GPU. 

A 400 watt PSU is enough. 

9 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

You can do it on a 400 watt PSU.

And its a lot more about quality of the PSU than wattage. And if the quality cant power a rx 580, then you shouldnt power anything with it. 

No? They are roughly the same, with the rx 580 having architecture favoring more modern titles.

Usually rx 580 because its cheaper.

But if you can id suggest looking at a gtx 1660.

My system crashed when I tried running 2 RX 580s on a HCG620w...

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

6 minutes ago, LOST TALE said:

Looking at the quality of that PSU. That isnt super surprising. 

Then there is also rail layout, but on a singlecard config its irrelavant in most cases

Edit: forgot to write the last part

14 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Only on specific models. It's safer to just recommend 500, so you don't have to start talking about 12V rails and amperage.

NO!

Because the Wattage is absolutely IRRELEVANT and yes, we have to talk about 12V Rails and Amperage because this is a 500W PSU. Obviously its crap and nobody would recommend it.

So pls stop talking about Wattage as that only leads to disaster and really really shitty units.

If we're talking about good quality 400W, it doesn't have any Problems with the 580 at all.

Especially since its a good amount away from 400W...

6 minutes ago, LOST TALE said:

yeah, because your HCG is shit and based on a 10 year old Unit.

I used TWO 7970GHz/280X on a couple of 650W PSU like Cougar GX-S, Super Flower Golden King. Corsair RM650i.

Hell even on 550W -> Cougar GX-F.

So its not the Wattage, its the Design of your shitty PSU.

Oh and I ran my VEGA64 with some tweaking on a 400W PSU (be quiet Pure Power 10)...

41 minutes ago, GtfoDragon57 said:

8GiB >>> 6GiB.

RX580 is slightly b etter or a good amount, depending on the Game.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

2 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

VEGA64 with some tweaking

lol that could easily mean less than half the power draw.

5 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Looking at the quality of that PSU. That isnt super surprising. 

Then there is also rail layout, but on a singlecard config its irrelavant in most cases

Edit: forgot to write the last part

does the HCG620w have a problem with rail layout and 2 cards?

Just now, LOST TALE said:

lol that could easily mean less than half the power draw.

Yes, and?
It works and it works well.

And I'm at around 400W Primary...

You were just wrong and your PSU is not a good example.

But hey, lets ignore the 2 7970GHz/280X on 550W (and some 650W).

16 minutes ago, Majestic said:

it's safer to just watch the quality of the unit in general, because more wattage doesn't make a better psu

slides to psu tier list

does the HCG620w have a problem with rail layout and 2 cards?

Its a bad design, released in 2010.

We have 2019.

1 minute ago, Stefan Payne said:

Yes, and?
It works and it works well.

And I'm at around 400W Primary...

You were just wrong and your PSU is not a good example.

But hey, lets ignore the 2 7970GHz/280X on 550W (and some 650W).

I stated a fact. It's not wrong. Quote what was wrong.

2 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Its a bad design, released in 2010.

We have 2019.

I'd like to see a source detailing why it's bad, other than age of design which is no direct cause.

I'd like to see a source detailing why it's bad, other than age of design which is no direct cause.

group regulation getting out of spec

is that a good reason?

but maybe continue in pm? i don't want to clutter here